+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Here's Shonda's response today:

Moments after reports circulated that Isaiah Washington went into therapy, "Grey's Anatomy" creator Shondra Rhimes weighed in with a statement which sounds like she's hedging her bets on her embattled star:

"I speak for all the executive producers here at 'Grey's Anatomy' when I say that Isaiah Washington's use of such a disturbing word was a shocking and dismaying event that insulted not only gays and lesbians everywhere but anyone who has ever struggled for respect in a world that is not always accepting of difference ... We applaud and encourage Isaiah's realization that he needs help and his subsequent choice to seek immediate treatment for his behavioral issues."

What Rhimes didn't mention, was whether Washington would be fired or not. TMZ spies in high places in the production of "Grey's Anatomy" say Washington's fate will be determined by ratings, not moral outrage -- namely, whether his presence helps or hurts the show.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2214913;
    Here's Shonda's response today:

Moments after reports circulated that Isaiah Washington went into therapy, "Grey's Anatomy" creator Shondra Rhimes weighed in with a statement which sounds like she's hedging her bets on her embattled star:

"I speak for all the executive producers here at 'Grey's Anatomy' when I say that Isaiah Washington's use of such a disturbing word was a shocking and dismaying event that insulted not only gays and lesbians everywhere but anyone who has ever struggled for respect in a world that is not always accepting of difference ... We applaud and encourage Isaiah's realization that he needs help and his subsequent choice to seek immediate treatment for his behavioral issues."

What Rhimes didn't mention, was whether Washington would be fired or not. TMZ spies in high places in the production of "Grey's Anatomy" say Washington's fate will be determined by ratings, not moral outrage -- namely, whether his presence helps or hurts the show.
    This exactly why I don't think Isaiah is going anywhere...Its not going to affect the ratings at all...

I'd be surprised if it didn't hurt the ratings. A lot of my friends are turning off their sets until IW is gone from Grey's... I will still be watching, but it has definitely shadowed my 'affection' for Dr. Burke. It actually took away from his scenes with TR last week during the death of George's dad... that's my .02 though.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

FORT Fogey
    Since the controversy appears to have pretty much run its course, I'm not sure it'll have any effect in the ratings. I completely agree Mellon that there are many who are turned off by Burke's character after all of this. But I think there are also many many people who have been completely turned off by Meredith's character since the beginning of the show, yet remain loyal. Writing can alter how much emphasis is put on Burke. They can avoid putting him in storylines where he'd have to be accepted as the hero. They can even split up Burke and Christina to marginalize him in that way. That may be even easier now that they're heading towards Addison and Alex getting together. Those two could step in and replace a lot of the same characteristics that people enjoyed with the Burke/Christina relationship.

I think that writers backed off on Meredith somewhat (from being the center ofthe show to a player in it) once they realized what viewers thought of her. I can see them making the same kind of adjustments, but keeping Burke.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I can see them working with him at least through the end of this season, on a kind of probationary run to see if things will work out. Then he goes somewhere like Doctors Without Borders, and if he's still a keeper, he comes back...otherwise he dies while he's out of the country. His character had already mentioned something about doing something like that already.

I do agree, though. It's all about the dollars.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

it's so true what Veruka said about Meridith...
    You do not know how much I hate her charecter.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2216057;
    I think that writers backed off on Meredith somewhat (from being the center ofthe show to a player in it) once they realized what viewers thought of her.
    Well, except now we have to swallow the fact that the intern who was originally portrayed as having the most natural surgical ability as her legacy is now virtually NEVER seen in an operating room scene. Doesn't that strike anyone else as weird? It's all "Christina, Christina, Izzy, George, Christina, Frat Boy, Christina, Frat Boy, Izzie... oh now let's get Meredith in a group surgery shot..." So instead, all of our "Meredith" time is just stupid soapy crap, which doesn't do her character any favors.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2216239;

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2216057;
    I think that writers backed off on Meredith somewhat (from being the center ofthe show to a player in it) once they realized what viewers thought of her. I can see them making the same kind of adjustments, but keeping Burke.

Well, except now we have to swallow the fact that the intern who was originally portrayed as having the most natural surgical ability as her legacy is now virtually NEVER seen in an operating room scene. Doesn't that strike anyone else as weird? It's all "Christina, Christina, Izzy, George, Christina, Frat Boy, Christina, Frat Boy, Izzie... oh now let's get Meredith in a group surgery shot..." So instead, all of our "Meredith" time is just stupid soapy crap, which doesn't do her character any favors.
    The show is, after all, meant to be about her.. it is called Grey's Anatomy.. not Yang 's Anatomy or Shepherd 's Anatomy. Yes, before anyone tries to call me out saying that it was named after or in reference to the Medical Text Book by Henry Gray: Henry Gray's "Anatomy of the Human Body" That is what makes it all tie together. It could have easily been called Gray's Anatomy and focused on the group of interns and hospital. In my opinion that would have been too much like ER.

I started watching this show because it had Sandra Oh in it.. i love her and have loved her since the Arli$$ days. Ellen is not a great actress by any stretch but Meredith is a great character.

As Krom stated, she has all this natural ability and pressure of the great Ellis Grey to live up to or live down as the case may be and now because of the actress playing her too many people see her as selfish, whiney, and shallow. I want to see more of her interaction with her mother, I want to see how she deals with her father and his new family and I would love to see her live up to her legacy/birth right. This character has such potential.

That being said, the rest of the cast is superb! I love the addition, albeit late, of Kate Walsh (BIG fan of her on Drew Carey) she added so much as the one everyone wanted to or should have hated. Now we see a story with Alex and have learned more about the history with Marc. Sara Ramírez was another great addition and we don’t see enough of Loretta Devine.. this all being said, they will distract from Meredith and her story line in order to fully introduce and play out their story lines.

I thought that the balance that has been achieved with all the characters has been done very well, even if we do not get to see as much of Meredith's progression as I would have liked. I do feel her time, as well as Ellen's will come. Ellen has matured as an actress while on this show, just watch Art Heist to see how bad she can be. *cringe*

If i have one complaint, it's we dont see enough of the Nazi Chandra Wilson is a gem!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Mellon;2216047;
    I'd be surprised if it didn't hurt the ratings. A lot of my friends are turning off their sets until IW is gone from Grey's... I will still be watching, but it has definitely shadowed my 'affection' for Dr. Burke. It actually took away from his scenes with TR last week during the death of George's dad... that's my .02 though.
    People really have to learn to separate actors from the roles they play... Yes, a man can be a jerk, but he can also be a very good actor. I like Burke's character and I don't want him to change, and I don't think you can just replace him with another actor.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

I'm not one of those who will be tuning out just because of Isaiah Washington. I like the show enough to not let that bother me and the ensemble cast more than makes up for one bad apple.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread