+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Isaiah has also fired his publicist.

Embatttled 'Grey's Anatomy' star meets with gay rights groups

LOS ANGELES: "Grey's Anatomy" star Isaiah Washington, under fire for using a gay slur about a co-star, met with gay rights activists who said he agreed to help educate the public about the cruelty of such language.

"He seemed very sincere in his interest in working with us in an ongoing basis," Kevin Jennings, executive director of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, said after the meeting Monday. "We emphasized that this is not a one-shot deal, but an ongoing thing. He was very open to doing this."

The star of the hit ABC medical drama met with Jennings, who spoke after the private meeting, and Neil G. Giuliano, president of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. A call to Washington's publicist for comment was not immediately returned Monday.

According to Jennings, Washington said he wanted to explore ways to work with GLSEN to address issues of "namecalling and how he might use his various platforms to educate people about how painful and wrong it is."

By coincidence, Jennings noted, Monday was the start of "No Name-Calling Week," coordinated by GLSEN with national educational partners to help schools find ways to eliminate bullying and slurs of all kinds. His group welcomed Washington's help in promoting the group's agenda, Jennings said.

Washington, himself a father, said he understands how the issue effects young people, Jennings said.

Washington, who stepped away from filming for the hour-long meeting, said he is interested in pursuing various options such as public service announcements, according to Jennings. No firm agreements were reached, the GLSEN director said.

"I think this is a very good first step toward him showing he really wants to do something. We take him at his word," Jennings said.

Last October, Washington used the term "f****t" about castmate T.R. Knight during an on-set argument with co-star Patrick Dempsey. He used it again backstage at the Jan. 15 Golden Globes as he denied ever uttering it.

Washington issued an apology after he was publicly criticized by GLAAD and chastised by ABC.

"Grey's Anatomy" led nominees announced Sunday for the 18th annual GLAAD Media Awards, recognizing "mainstream media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender ... community and the issues that affect their lives."
    Link
    Last edited by Miss Filangi; 01-22-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I posted an article on this but I forgot to delete the bad language (sorry mods), it said that Isaiah met with gay right's groups.

In other news, he also fired his publicist.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Justin Chambers was on the View this morning, while i don't find him atractive, he seems to be a very cool guy. His wife is very pretty and he finds her sexy which i find admirable. More power to them.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2212331;
    While I agree that within the gay communty, the f word has the same connotation as the n word, I don't believe that in the every day vernacular, it is the same. There are people who will throw that word around as slang, but not in a hateful way.
    And there are people that throw the n-word around and don't do it in a 'hateful' way. Regardless, it's offensive. I'm neither gay nor black, but I find both words equally offensive. There are little old ladies that think it's okay to use the n-word because it was common in 'their' day. It doesn't make it right. Same with the f-word.

Any celebrity has to be prepared for those times, as there will always be reporters trying to provoke a negative response, and IW failed in that regard. But it's not like he walked on the stage as everyone was celebrating and cheering, and completely out of the blue claimed he had not used the word.
    I don't recall anyone pushing him to the mic. He was quite a few feet away and had to physically move in order to 'defend' himself. I understand your desire to defend him, but the fact that TR Knight claimed the next day on Ellen that Washington DID initially use the word speaks volumes. After all, Knight insists that's the reason he came out in the first place. While none of us can know for sure what was said or wasn't said, it's unlikely that this just materialized out of thin air.

Ironically Veruka, I agree with you about whether he should lose his job over this. He's apologized and should be forgiven for his stupidity. If there continues to be this backstage drama and he's the source of it, then by all means, fire him. <s>One</s> Two stupid comments alone should not be enough to give him the pink slip, provided he's doing his best to mend fences.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Fogey
    I have no vested interest in IW, Miss Filangi, so I don't really have a desire to defend him. All I have is a desire to speak my mind on the issue. I agree completely that no one pushed him to the mic. That is exactly why I said that IW utterly failed in the arena of not allowing himself to be provoked by a reporter who had the desire to stir up controversy. I put the responsibility for that failure on him. I simply made the point that I did because I have repeatedly seen statements accusing IW of being the one to bring the whole thing back into the spotlight, and I do not think that is an accurate or fair accusation. I do not believe that IW showed up at the Globes, or at the press conference after the show received their award thinking "I want to make sure people walk away tonight remembering my fight with Dempsey in the Fall".

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Well, you know what they say. Any publicity is good publicity. In show business, it is thought that you'd rather have people talking about you, in any fashion, than not talking about you at all.

I've never really understood that philosophy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan
    In my opinion this whole Isiaah Washington gay slurs controversy is totally blown way out of proportion.I think it is an issue that should be worked out between the actors involved Washington and Knight.They can repair any damage to their working relation ,forgive and move on. Do we the public really even have all the facts as to what was really said.And how come it is out in the news again when this arguement ,happen several months ago.As per usual the media stirring up the issue again.For publicity? I do not think Washington should be fired as long as he is doing his job as an actor,and he can work with everyone on set.Two stupid statements should not warrant his losing his job. Reminds me of the Republicans trying to impeach Clinton over lying about a BJ.Ridiculous.

um Galestorm?? I don't think bringing up the President lying to those who put him in power is helping your arguement at all.
    I don't know if IW should lose his job but.. I, like many of the other Forters have posted, am having a hard time seperating IW the man from Preston Burke the character. I don't feel the same way about the character as I used to.
    If there are many (very many) people out there like me then they might stop tuning in to GA, then the ratings fall, then the show gets cancelled (yes I do know that I am taking this to the outermost extreme) So when does GA cut it's losses?? Before things fall apart or do they make a pre-emptive strike?
    TV is a numbers game and IW's number might be up.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey
    If the ratings were to start to decline now, it would be reasonable for the producers to idenitfy Issiah Washington as a cause for that, and write his character out in order to boost the ratings. Given the critical and ratings success of the show, I think it stands to reason that ABC would be patient enough to give them the time to tinker before pulling the plug - once a show is well-established as a hit, the networks tend to be a bit more patient. That would, I believe, be a very justified reason to fire IW. Responding to an on-line petition signed by a bunch of people who don't know the full story is not.

I don't agree with the petition either.. but the fact is, in TV public opinon counts and if IW does get the boot, well then, he is paying the consequence of his actions. Weather he used the inflammatory language or not the forum in which he chose to defend himself was wrong and ill timed.
    I think it's just hilarious that he fired his publicist for the the nightmare that he himself created.

IW is going to get what's coming to him - whatever that entails
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread