+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Thanks for the education!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2210505;
    Has anyone here signed any of the online petitions to oust Isaiah Washington?
    Do you feel that strongly about it?

Just curious since I heard one petition already had over 8000 signatures. I'm not really sure how online petitions work. Does someone print them out and mail them?
    I have heard about the petitions, but I will not sign one. I don't like the side of Issaiah Washington that we've been exposed to in all of this mess. But I'm scared of living in a world where a person's job can be threatened because of a stupid move, or an unpopular opinion. It amazes me that there was so much outrage when the Dixie Chicks were subjected to similar tactics for expressing an unpopular (in some circles) opinion, but that outrage doesn't seem to be there for Washington.

This world could use a little more forgiveness ...

I just finally watched last episode! I'm getting a tension headache now from crying.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2211318;
    I have heard about the petitions, but I will not sign one. I don't like the side of Issaiah Washington that we've been exposed to in all of this mess. But I'm scared of living in a world where a person's job can be threatened because of a stupid move, or an unpopular opinion. It amazes me that there was so much outrage when the Dixie Chicks were subjected to similar tactics for expressing an unpopular (in some circles) opinion, but that outrage doesn't seem to be there for Washington.

Very well said, just what I've been thinking
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Last week's episode was a heartbreaker I love the music from the show so much though - it's so well placed. These production people do a great job of it!

1.) I would never sign a petition either. It's not my job to make sure every idiot in the world gets fired.
    2.) That said, I do believe that he SHOULD be fired, it's just not my belief that public pressure should decide that course. It should be self-evident to the producers. Again, I compare it to someone using the "N" word on Mr. Washington himself and what would likely have happened in that scenario. Right or wrong, we all know what would have happened. Since its unrealistic to believe mercy and forgiveness would have been shown in that case, to me the fairest thing is to treat like with like. Its not ideal, since maybe you could argue that in neither case should we judge people that harshly, but at least it would be equitable.
    3.) This is not akin to the Dixie Chicks situation in my mind. The Chicks did not insert a coworker into a hostile workplace. They did not get into fights. They did not lie or deny. Their comments were not an expression of intolerance for someone's inherent qualities (sexual orientation, color, etc.) they were about an opinion of someone's job performance (President Bush). Their comment was fair game. The "F" and "N" words are not.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Krom: Off the subject, but you changed your avatar. What is that? It is very interesting, but I can't tell what it is - it kind of looks like a lego version of Mr. T. Am I right?

But I'm scared of living in a world where a person's job can be threatened because of a stupid move, or an unpopular opinion. It amazes me that there was so much outrage when the Dixie Chicks were subjected to similar tactics for expressing an unpopular (in some circles) opinion, but that outrage doesn't seem to be there for Washington.

Except that The Dixie Chicks comments reflected their political beliefs and Washington made a homophobic comment, rather than an opinion. I liken this controversy to the Michael Richards incident. Had Natalie Maines used a bigoted term in reference to Bush, I'd agree with you.

For the record, I'm not sure that IW should be fired. I'm assuming that he's been spoken to and measures have been taken to get past everything. His comment at the Golden Globes the other night just fanned the fires, though. If he's creating a hostile environment, he should be disciplined and beyond that, fired if his attitude doesn't improve. Most employees would be treated in the same manner.
    Last edited by Miss Filangi; 01-22-2007 at 05:22 PM.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi;2212306;
    Except that The Dixie Chicks comments reflected their political beliefs and Washington made a homophobic comment, rather than an opinion. I liken this controversy to the Michael Richards incident. Had Natalie Maines used a bigoted term in reference to Bush, I'd agree with you.

For the record, I'm not sure that IW should be fired. I'm assuming that he's been spoken to and measures have been taken to get past everything. His comment at the Golden Globes the other night just fanned the fires, though. If he's creating a hostile environment, he should be disciplined and beyond that, fired if his attitude doesn't improve. Most employees would be treated in the same manner.
    A couple of points of disagreement: We know exactly what happened in the Michael Richards incident, because it was on tape. We don't have that same advantage with IW. We know there was a physical altercation between IW and Patrick Dempsey, and we know that during that conflict, IW used the f word. While I agree that within the gay communty, the f word has the same connotation as the n word, I don't believe that in the every day vernacular, it is the same. There are people who will throw that word around as slang, but not in a hateful way. Without the advantage of a videotape where we'd be able to say "Wow, the hatred was obviously there" as we have with Michale Richards, I don't think the conclusion can be drawn that IW made a homophobic comment. The context DOES matter here, and we don't know it.

Second - I agree that the flames were fanned at the Golden Globes, but I'm not sure that IW deserves the blame for that. Watching the video, he was obviously responding to a question. I have not found any copy of that clip where the audio from the reporter is strong enough to know exactly what was asked. (if anyone knows where to find it, I'd be very curious to hear exactly what the question was) But from the looks on the faces of most of the cast on the stage before IW stepped to the microphone, it certainly appears that the question was about the conflict between PD and IW. If that is the case, I'd say the reporter fanned the flames, not IW. The show was celebrating a major achievement, and a reporter - as some often times do - decided to create controversy by knocking everyone out of their joy to remind them of more difficult times. Any celebrity has to be prepared for those times, as there will always be reporters trying to provoke a negative response, and IW failed in that regard. But it's not like he walked on the stage as everyone was celebrating and cheering, and completely out of the blue claimed he had not used the word.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    IW is fully responsible for what comes out of his mouth. How can repeating a painful, offensive term be excused by trying to blame a reporter for "fanning the flames"? It was total stupidity, and IW has no one to blame but himself.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread