+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2150455;
    She is. Did you see her on Drew Carey when she played his girlfriend who had lost a lot of weight and broke up with him because she put it all back on while she was with him? She wore a fat suit for some of the episodes.
    It didn't even register for me that she was the same actress. This character is so different that I certainly didn't pick up on any similarities in the energy she brought to this role vs. that one. Sign of a good actress, I think. Also, she looks way different with red hair.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2157828;
    I don't know the logistics, but it has something to do with copyright. Why? Not exactly sure, perhaps someone will be able to explain that mystery!

One more episode this week till January. Cannot wait
    I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that part of the reason, though maybe not the main reason, is that file sharing isn't illegal in Canada. It's not protected under our rights, but there's nothing stating we can't do it. It's something they've failed to look at and have yet to write laws about - a legal loophole if you will.

I think the networks would like to show it up here, because they'd make even more money, but they reaalize that the video can be ripped and put on a P2P system very easily, and they'd have no way of really punishing or going after the person doing that.

But that's just a theory.

My other theory is that it takes about two years for everything in the States to come to Canada...because we're just slow like that...and it SUX.

I wanna be able to watch Grey's online!
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2157780;
    But why? If it is profitable for the US to watch, why not Canada? Just can't figure their motivation.... Does anyone know?
    I am not positive, but I'm willing to bet that it's an issue of the advertising. I know that ABC is selling the ad time in the shows they're showing on line, including the on-line advertising component. They're also testing letting local stations sell a spot in there too. I would guess (but I'm not positive) that the union contracts for the actors in the commercials cost more if the spots are shown outside the US. So in order to not create possible problems for the advertisers, they probably have to block it anywhere outside the US. Most streaming issues for the internet come down to commercial / union contract issues rather than content issues of the programs themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2158973;
    I am not positive, but I'm willing to bet that it's an issue of the advertising. I know that ABC is selling the ad time in the shows they're showing on line, including the on-line advertising component. They're also testing letting local stations sell a spot in there too. I would guess (but I'm not positive) that the union contracts for the actors in the commercials cost more if the spots are shown outside the US. So in order to not create possible problems for the advertisers, they probably have to block it anywhere outside the US. Most streaming issues for the internet come down to commercial / union contract issues rather than content issues of the programs themselves.
    It's always about the money.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Boy, that all sounds very fixable...maybe even technically... they can put in Canadian ads if the computer is in Canada or something...or they can pay the actors more, I'm sure they'd profit more in the end... Canada is a big market.

Trust me, it's not about the ads.
    For all American TV shows that are played in Canada, they show Canadian ads, not American ones. They just replace the american ads w/ Canadian ones. The only way you see American ads in Canada is if you have hundreds of satellite or digital cable channels and you have networks that don't have a Canadian equivelent - and ABC does have a Canadian equivelent. They aren't affliated or anything....Canada has three big networks (CTV, Global, and CBC) which play all the primetime shows brodcasted on the Big Four in the States. I'm 99.9% sure that the issue isn't the advertisments, because if it was the problem, the ABC execs would be streaming Grey's to us right now.They know there's alot of money to be made by streaming ahows to us here.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

FORT Fogey
    It seems everyone loves Addison now and I remember when I was one of the very few people that liked her. I always thought she was more likeable than Meredith from day one! Its cool to see people noticing her for her beauty because I also think she's the most gorgeous woman on the show. I think Callie is pretty cute as well. I hope she never loses weight. I love her that size and Id do anything for that head of hair! Addison, Callie, and Izzie in that order for me look wise. I think Bailey and Meredith are both average looking.
    Jessica

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caramelbeauty81;2159788;
    I think Callie is pretty cute as well. I hope she never loses weight.
    I read in US magazine that she's a size 12, and that she now has enough money to hire a personal trainer so she will most likely be dropping a size or two.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2159921;
    I read in US magazine that she's a size 12, and that she now has enough money to hire a personal trainer so she will most likely be dropping a size or two.
    that saddens me. i'm so sick of the pressure for people to be thin ... not EVERYONE is meant to be .... callie is deliciously curvy ....

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    This is from an interview with Katherine Heigl...may I just point out that some people have accused her of being FAT!!! That's how screwy our society is today...

Q: Your character, who modeled lingerie to finance her medical training, struggles with the notion of beauty. How do you feel about it?

HEIGL: It's an interesting line to toe. I understand the desire and the need to look and be perfect in this industry. But I'm a real woman, a real size ... well I don't even know what size I am. Between 4 and 6, depending on the day.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...ef=rss_showbiz

+ Reply to Thread