+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2114398;
    Doesn't Taye Diggs have a new show coming out on Wednesday nights? Isn't it about where he wakes up and it is the same day
    Day Break.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

This show has gotten quite controversial lately. It is still wonderful and it is too bad the behind the scenes stuff has gotten nasty. Sounds like a case of runaway egos between Dempsey and Washington. It is a shame that T.R. Knight (George) got caught in the middle and decided to/had to reveal his secret (if it was a secret) in a public forum. Quite frankly, I wasn't surprised at the news. The actor (and the character) always seemed somewhat asexual to me - not very masculine and yet not feminine either . somewhere inbetween. It doesn't bother me that he is gay. I'll admit, now that I know, I will probably have a little trouble suspending belief when he is having a love scene with a woman. And, I suspect he may have trouble getting some roles because of it. But, he is hardly the studly type anyway and there are many, many character roles that he would fill nicely, so I doubt his career will suffer much. He is such an adorable nebbish.

Washington's homophobia may result in longer reaching problems for him, especially in a medium so heavily populated by homosexuals. It was stupid for him to let his ego overcome his common sense. I hope he won't be replaced. He is an integral part of the show and his chemistry with Sandra Oh would be hard to match with a substitue, even one as beautiful as some of those mentioned as possible replacements.

Kirsten's spoiler section today mentioned that Derek's sister is coming to visit - could she be the clothed female that Meredith sees with a wet or sweaty Derek in the preview?

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Well,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Yeah. She's Embeth Davidtz. She comes to check up on her brother, when meredith comes to the trailer, sees her on the bed and sees Mcdummy coming out of the shower and of course thinks something else is going on.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by aname;2114913;
    He is such an adorable nebbish.
    Love that - it's so accurate.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fan
    I hope that Issiah Washington does not get replaced. He is my favorite man on the show. I agree that the chemistry between Issiah and Sandra Oh would be hard to recreate.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Whoever posted earlier about the offensiveness of replacing one black actor with another...was that you Veruka? Anyhow, they address that in this piece that went up today at PEOPLE's site (link below)

EXCLUSIVE: Isaiah Washington Apologizes
    WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 25, 2006 09:55AM EST

Isaiah Washington

Grey's Anatomy actor Isaiah Washington has issued an apology in a statement exclusive to PEOPLE for his behavior during an on-set argument with costar Patrick Dempsey.

"I sincerely regret my actions and the unfortunate use of words during the recent incident on-set," Washington, 43, says in the statement. "Both are beneath my own personal standards. … I have nothing but respect for my coworkers … and have apologized personally to everyone involved."

After Washington and Dempsey, 40, clashed on Oct. 9, reports surfaced that Washington had used a homophobic slur during the fracas. Then on Oct. 19, their costar T.R. Knight disclosed to PEOPLE that he is gay. "I'd like to quiet any unnecessary rumors that may be out there," he said in a statement, adding, "I hope the fact that I'm gay isn't the most interesting part of me."

Fallout from the turmoil has sparked talk of everything from hasty script rewrites of an impending onscreen fight scene (not true, says show creator Shonda Rhimes) to rumors that Washington would be fired, possibly to be replaced by former ER star Eriq La Salle.

"I found (those rumors) not only ridiculous but offensive that we would consider replacing a member of our family," Rhimes tells PEOPLE. "And also the (idea) that one black man was interchangeable with another seemed disturbing to me."

Rhimes also dismisses speculation that the mood on the set has been unusually tense. "The mood's what the mood's always been," she says. "We have a group of people who are more of a family than anything else. We have our fun days, and we have our days when people are tired and the work is hard."

On Tuesday's episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Grey's costar Katherine Heigl played down the incident, calling it "some scuffle … There was a little burst of testosterone in the room, and then within five minutes ... they were totally fine."

Washington was scheduled to tape an interview with DeGeneres on Tuesday to air Wednesday, but canceled – citing a scheduling conflict – after Heigl jokingly warned DeGeneres to "step back" during Washington's appearance, USA Today reports.

So what actually happened between Washington and Dempsey? A set source says that when Knight, 33, was late to film a scene, a debate ensued between Dempsey and Washington, with Dempsey insisting on waiting for Knight before starting the scene. The argument quickly intensified, and the source says that yes, the alleged slur was used, but Knight was not present at the time.

"Isaiah was running his mouth off," says the source. "Isaiah verbally attacked Patrick – he tore into him. Patrick's voice escalated and he did tell Isaiah to 'f– off, (but) that was as heated as Patrick got."

Today, Rhimes tells PEOPLE, Dempsey and Washington "are fine" – as are Washington and Knight. "They've had conversations," says Rhimes. "They did a really great scene together the other day." The whole affair, she says, "was four and a half seconds of one day in three years. I feel like we've already moved on."

http://people.aol.com/people/article...061025-1550408

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Thanks for posting it, Lo. It would be offensive to replace him just like that for another black character.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I would agree - for another black character.. but not another black actor. Not to say that any of the men mentioned are interchangable but when it's the role you are filling it only makes sense to stick with what's been working.
    When Chrissy Snow was replaced on Three's Company they stuck with the role that had already been established even though they introduced entirely new characters they still stuck with 'type' so I really don't see where the offense lies.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2115920;
    I would agree - for another black character.. but not another black actor. Not to say that any of the men mentioned are interchangable but when it's the role you are filling it only makes sense to stick with what's been working.
    I agree. Replacing the character is one thing, but replacing an actor is nothing new. Soap Operas do it all the time.

I really like the Burke character and the storyline is interesting. Does Christine really love him? If so, Does she love him for himself or for being an extremely highly regarded heart surgeon? She appears more concerned with getting him back to work and his old identity than making sure that he's ready to return to the o.r.

In terms of IW comments: Nice guy or not, it's particularly disgraceful, imo, for someone who (most probably) has been a target of slurs and discrimination to use such an abhorrent slur PERIOD. It's the same thing as the rantings of a drunk Mel Gibson, except that IW was only angry, not drunk.

I sure hope that Oprah doesn't glaze over that with IW.

+ Reply to Thread