+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree723Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;2110438;
    I have read on another website, don't think I can post it here...But the jist of it is saying that the the powers that be, have been looking at 3 other actors to replace him because the fight has upset the chemistry of the cast...
    I would venture to guess that's an article that was pretty much made up in reaction to the news of the fight (kind of like how you can find articles right now that say that Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Anniston are engaged, broken up, just dating, and have never been anything but friends). I can't see producers being THAT reactionary. There hasnt been enough time to pass to think that there are issues that can't be resolved.

Besides, they'd better not get rid of IW. He's too nice to look at. The man has the BEST skin ... and the rest of him isn't bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;2110398;
    didn't they already have a plot where people (Meredith anyway, but I thought Izzy and Christina also) thought George was gay and he spent an episode denying it. Season 1 maybe? Am I hallucinating it?
    If you're hallucinating, so am I. 'Lovely surreal sky we have today, eh, LG?'

I was inclined at first to recall it as involving description of George as other than manly man stereotype, but the more I think about it, the more your recollection seems on target.

I can't recall who inserted the thought initially though I lean toward Christina, but one or two of the others chimed in in a validating way about the thought, I believe Alex being one.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;2110448;
    If you're hallucinating, so am I. 'Lovely surreal sky we have today, eh, LG?'

I was inclined at first to recall it as involving description of George as other than manly man stereotype, but the more I think about it, the more your recollection seems on target.

I can't recall who inserted the thought initially though I lean toward Christina, but one or two of the others chimed in in a validating way about the thought, I believe Alex being one.
    I'm pretty sure Izzie was one of them...in a very casual way assuming it.

Re whether the actor was the same sexual orientation as the role, so you didn't like Will on Will and Grace? You didn't like Brokeback Mountain? You didn't like Felicity Huffman playing a MTF transsexual in Transamerica? You don't like 20 year olds playing teenagers? I'm with Veruka and others in saying that what counts is the acting...if they are good I"ll buy it. Heck, I watch soaps where women half his age seem to fall in love with people the age of Adam Chandler and I buy that, so I can certainly buy George as a socially inept straight guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2110401;
    I don't think that George was ever NOT attracted to Callie. I think he simply did not feel as strongly for her as she did for him, nor did he fall for her as quickly as she fell for him. I think it's quite normal to be turned off by someone you're dating because you feel like you can't give back to them what they're feeling for you - even if you feel SOMETHING for that person. Lord knows I've been there!
    The rationale for George's backing off from Callie seems obvious to me. The lad was the 'unable to close the deal' type of unwilling virgin just yesterday figuratively speaking. He wanted to have sex with women in reality instead of it occurring soley in his imagination; his style and background just placed huge obstacles blocking the path toward it occurring.

A guy of his 'George' type gets laid for the first time when the female takes the initiative, or when he finally gets enough gumption to make an overt move on a girl (like Meredith in George's case) that he's convinced himself he's in 'love' with. In the second scenario, the guy all too often ends up settled down with the one and only person that he's ever slept with even if the initial thrill doesn't last long.

It's not like he's filled with self confidence, he recalls all too clearly the agony he endured getting to the point of making his one and only effective move. Effective at least to the point of getting physical, not so much in other ways perhaps. George certainly muffed it with Meredith, being too close to her and too intent on losing that cherry to realize she wasn't at all into him either as a prospective partner or even a pillow pal. His ill-timed move on Meredith affected their existing bond extremely negatively in the short term. And were it not a show script, I'm thinking they'd still be on the outs due to HIS act.

Though he's likely made overtures toward other females in the past, he's all too aware of his ineptness with them, having heard too many 'Oh, George... you're just toooo sweet' emasculating dismissals in the past from females that had him firmly embedded in the friend zone. During that oh so long dry spell for a George, his greatest asset is also his worst liability when it comes to women.

He can relate to women in ways that other men can't or won't, and it affords him the ability to position himself in their circles, but it also ends up making him in their eyes something less than male. Either they start seeing him as another one of the gals, a little brother (regardless of age), a pet, or a malelite hybrid, someone with enough male in him to act as a sounding board providing insight from one thats allowed a little closer access to that creature called man than women are generally allowed.

A George's in with women is the way he differentiates himself from other guys, but underneath the exterior he's donned in order to get closer to the prey he doesn't possess the tools to approach in different form, he STILL WANTS TO NAIL THEM. Problem being, he's painted himself into a corner with that nice guy approach.

A Callie was the best thing that could happen to a George, but oh my. After enabling a self validation of his manliness that I imagine he'd been questioning for awhile, she gave signs he interpreted as her having collared him into a relationship, the last thing he desired. With her unknowing assistance, he's made it past that previously unmanageable hurdle which kept him stranded seemingly forevermore in nice guy land. Probably found himself fixating on what was wrong with him and wondering whether his imagined attraction to women constituted denial of attraction to men he wasn't aware he had.

Now that he's ridden that ride (Callie) repeatedly and knows he enjoyed it, he wants to try out some of the other girly rides as well. At least he doesn't want to be painted into another corner which precludes that possibility by becoming coupled too closely with Callie. Her comment about getting a key?

That clearly represented SHACKLES to George at that moment in time. He still likes Callie, he just as an abiding lingering loathing for that corner he'd previously painted himself into and has no inclination to allow the same or similar to happen. Not now. He's still a bumbler with women, but at least he's utterly certain now of his actual desire for them sexually. I anticipate him going overboard once or twice at least in an opposite direction than his previous approach to women, acting like a male chump and getting a deserved slapdown, but thats to be expected.

He's still finding his way.
    Last edited by Leftcoaster; 10-20-2006 at 06:44 PM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Amy Lee, should we just say it in unison? "Callie, George is just not that into you!"

Re: McPointy being cold to Meredith after she tells him she dumped Finn (sigh...)... I think he thinks that he will not be able to make her happy and doesn't want to hurt her. And actually, he's probably right. But Mer being Mer is willing to have the hurt later in exchange for the pleasure now. I don't think she stupid--but like a lot of women, she thinks she'll be able to make this complicated situation work.

And I know this is drama and TV and all, but I could not work in a situation like that where my former boyfriend and his now ex-wife are my colleagues.

Oh, did anyone else notice last night that Meredith actually looks older than Addison? I know she's supposed to be an older intern but really!

I agree that George is awkward and still finding his way in relationship to women--especially where it comes to confidence, but where did you get the idea that he was a virgin when he had sex with Merideth? He had that relationship with the nurse who gave him and STD that she got from Alex, and I didn't ever get the impression that she was his first. I just got the impression that he has a hard time having enough confidence to initiate a relationship.

Regarding Callie (and on a different note), I was confused by the fact that she was so cold to George when he came to make up. When she was talking about whether or not she needed to tell George that she slept with someone else, I assumed that meant she still thought of herself as being in a relationship with him. If they're not together, why would she need to tell him?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;2110398;
    didn't they already have a plot where people (Meredith anyway, but I thought Izzy and Christina also) thought George was gay and he spent an episode denying it. Season 1 maybe? Am I hallucinating it?
    L.G., You are not hallucinating. In the very first episode, George described to Meredith what she was wearing when he first saw her at the "Interns Reception", down to her strappy sandals. In an aside, he said, "now she probably thinks I am gay." Also, in Episode 4 of the first season. Keith David played a friend of the Chief who needed a new heart. He had a thing for George. He called him, "pretty boy". Poor George had to keep telling "Mr. Mackie" he wasn't gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;2110665;
    I agree that George is awkward and still finding his way in relationship to women--especially where it comes to confidence, but where did you get the idea that he was a virgin when he had sex with Merideth? He had that relationship with the nurse who gave him and STD that she got from Alex, and I didn't ever get the impression that she was his first. I just got the impression that he has a hard time having enough confidence to initiate a relationship.

Regarding Callie (and on a different note), I was confused by the fact that she was so cold to George when he came to make up. When she was talking about whether or not she needed to tell George that she slept with someone else, I assumed that meant she still thought of herself as being in a relationship with him. If they're not together, why would she need to tell him?
    I'd forgotten all about the nurse and George. Though I'd portrayed George as being a virgin just yesterday I was thinking as I did even if I didn't express it that he might not be an actual virgin, but he appeared without a doubt to me to be a virtual virgin. Just seemed to exude those vibes in a major manner. I don't know how involved he was with the nurse that gifted him with the std, but I'm betting it figuratively involved a test drive around the block rather than the 'yeah, I owned a car like that before I crashed it' familiarity that comes from the type of romp he shared with Callie. With Meredith, he couldn't even give himself an 'attaboy, mission accomplished' for anything beyond mucking things up, not considering his remark of not being done.

The nurse aside, which was an episode or more that I missed until the std stuff which unsurprisingly then was a mystery to me until the misdirected oblique comments became more direct and to the point, George has never had a woman around him other than his gal pals. No one chasing him, no one he was chasing other his ineffectual mooning over Meredith.

The only other thing I'd alter or add about George('s) is a belief that rather than directing his seduction <chuckle> attempt (which it is) on an unattached and relatively untroubled woman, he's much more likely to attempt to cozy up to an attached woman with man problems. Not by intentional design perhaps, but his sounding board affords him proximity, her troubles eventually dawn on him as the presentation of an opportunity to cozy up a little closer to a living doll by listening to her stories and gripes in supportive and wedging manner, differenting himself and how he'd treat her in comparison to the guy she's with that he's oh so carefully performing character assassination on at every opportunity while he gives the foot/neck/back/upper cheek butt rub providing the pattern of physical connection that can be expanded <cross fingers> when the time is right.

Other men do the same, but I see Inexperienced George doing it based on self perceived necessity rather than him being your run of the mill slimedoggy.

I forget, did George talk smack about McSlimy to Meredith?
    _______

When Callie reacted as she did to George, my first thought was that the camera was going to breakaway and show McDude she slept with in her room at that George moment. I didn't see last weeks episode, Meredith's self created 'tell him/don't tell him' agonizing over whether she should tell McSlimy she cut ties with McVet left me completely unmoved. In contrast, Callie's version of 'tell him/don't tell him' was an actual delimma, and one I could empathize with.

I don't believe Callie's response to George at the door was the dismissal it appeared to be. I believe it instead was a conjoined response involving both her unease at telling him something she feels she needs to but wished she could avoid, and the not hard to project attitude she might generate at George's showing up without warning at her door in such presumptious manner considering how he'd treated her.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2110335;

Loved the Chief's line to Izzie. We are NOT FINE. Glad to see she's got surgery back in her blood.
    Sorry for being nitpicky here, but I think it was Burke who said that to Izzie, not the Chief.
    Love lives forever <3

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freethinker;2111253;
    Sorry for being nitpicky here, but I think it was Burke who said that to Izzie, not the Chief.
    Yup. The speech had special meaning since he does NOT have two good hands as of now...

+ Reply to Thread