+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree545Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Izzy put herself through med school as a lingerie model - Dr. Bethany Whisper - remember? Alex posted her photo on every wall and locker in the hospital?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Bethany Whisper - I forgot about that!

'Nother question to toss out there:
    Will Alex stay with GYN-OB, which, it is obvious to us (well, me anyway), is his calling, or follow Mark into the more glamorous, lucrative realm of plastic surgery? I think it would be a good plotline. He goes and then realizes he was happier working with Addison and struggles to resolve job satisfaction vs prestige. And working with Addison - who sees her patients as human beings, vs Mark - who looks at patients as challenges to surmount. As nasty and selfish as he can be, he does have a good guy in him that surfaces now and then.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fogey
    I hope Alex doesn't wind up as an OB/GYN. While I agree that he does very well with the tough cases, it'd creep me out to think of him in that field day in and day out. Alex has a tremendous soft spot for the underdog and weak ... and that's what makes his character so great. But he's also got zero tolerance for the normal and the strong, and little respect for women. So while Alex would be great on the tough OB cases, he'd be horrible at the day to day!

Maybe Alex needs to become the Pediatric surgeon on the show.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    Bethany Whisper - I forgot about that!

'Nother question to toss out there:
    Will Alex stay with GYN-OB, which, it is obvious to us (well, me anyway), is his calling, or follow Mark into the more glamorous, lucrative realm of plastic surgery? I think it would be a good plotline. He goes and then realizes he was happier working with Addison and struggles to resolve job satisfaction vs prestige. And working with Addison - who sees her patients as human beings, vs Mark - who looks at patients as challenges to surmount. As nasty and selfish as he can be, he does have a good guy in him that surfaces now and then.
    I dunno if OB/GYN is Alex's calling...he seems to lack some people skills still. But I'm sure he'll like working with Addison more than with McSt.
    I want points!!! I called the Denny leaving Izzy $$$ ages ago!! me!
    Denny was clearly established as having money, and Izzy as not being in debt last season. Izzy even scored off Alex by saying, which one of us is 1000's of dollars in debt and which one isn't?
    I think Denny made the $$ himself, altho how he did it with a dying heart (in such bad shape he left his parents' house so they wouldn't watch him die) I'm not sure... maybe he made it and then got sick and then went home and then left? ... he did say he was used to being a virile active man so he must have had some adult life like that. If it was family money it would have to have been in a trust or something for him to be able to leave it to her, and then lawyers would probably have notified the parents when he died and they would have known he wasn't dead. So it must be money he made himself. Maybe he left another couple of mil to the parents, who knows. Does anyone remember the signature on the check? Like a probate lawyer's?
    Wonder if Izzy will keep rooming at Mer's now that she is rich? Will she establish some do-gooder fund with it and go back to the hospital to earn a living? Well, guess we'll see.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Izzie paid for school by using her body, if you will recall. She was a very scantily clad model for a while, before she went to med school. I got the impression that it was on the line of Playboy-type modeling. Everybody knows that women are paid a lot of money for taking off their clothes when you look like Izzie. I think that could pay for med school, easily.
    Thanks for the reminder. I completely forgot that early plotline. You're right--in that case, she would've had no problem paying off her med school bills. Bethany Whisper.

In George's defense - I get the impression that he hasn't had a lot of experience with women coming on strong to him. If he's not used to playing the role of the hot, highly desired man, then a lot of Callie's directness would really throw him for a loop. It could have helped things if Callie had recognized that, and backed off a bit. In a relationship, both people hold responsibility for making the other feel comfortable.
    Yes, but I think she has told him what she wants and also asked him what he wants. He hems and haws and doesn't really know what to tell her 'cause he has no idea. I have very little patience for people like that and can see her frustration. I think they're both cute characters but the matchup just does not work for me. He's just incredibly dense and frightened of her in many ways (afraid to tell her he doesn't want her to move in, even after she repeatedly asked him if it was OK). They have different personality types that don't complement each other--he's passive aggressive and she's just aggressive. I don't see either successfully altering those personality traits.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I want points!!! I called the Denny leaving Izzy $$$ ages ago!! me!
    Yay you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    From the previews, it looks like the money gives her the security she needs to officially quit at the hospital ... until Burke convinces her that she should be there because she's capable and not because she needs a paycheck. I'm guessing she'll return to work, with the confidence of knowing she doesn't have to be there, but she wants to be there. Then, she can be the risk taker protecting all patients, because the fear of being fired doesn't exsist in her.
    This sounds like a pretty good analysis! Let's see if the writers come up with something half as interesting! If I were her, I'd buy myself a nice house--it's a great investment and then she'll have her own bathroom. But they probably won't have her do that 'cause it wouldn't be as dramatic as her living at Meredith's...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 10-13-2006 at 02:27 PM.

FORT Fogey
    I got the impression that Denny's dad wanted to meet Izzy to decide if he should follow Denny's wishes for Izzy to have the money or not. He arrived thinking she was a gold digger who'd taken advantage of Denny. Only when he got to know her and knew her feelings for him were sincere was he willing to hand over the envelope. I bet that if he was not comfortable with Izzy, he never would have handed over the envelope or the answering machine code.

From the previews, it looks like the money gives her the security she needs to officially quit at the hospital ... until Burke convinces her that she should be there because she's capable and not because she needs a paycheck. I'm guessing she'll return to work, with the confidence of knowing she doesn't have to be there, but she wants to be there. Then, she can be the risk taker protecting all patients, because the fear of being fired doesn't exsist in her.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I

Regarding Callie--I think one of the things that's ticking her off is how wishy washy George is. He doesn't really say what he does or doesn't want with her--but he's sure about his stance with his friends (who all seem to be females). Most likely, she will always come second to him after Izzie and Meredith and I think she realizes that. She wasn't unsympathetic to Izzie's plight. She brought food over for her in the last episode (or so).
    And if he's going to treat her like that, let her go. She doesn't need to be with someone just to go and get ignored. I want to apply some sort of Greg Behrendt phlosophy but it's not coming to me. He seems way passive when it comes to Callie, and they're basically just getting nowhere fast. He doesn't give her her place. . .
    She's too confident and successful for someone like George, who's more boy than man. McSteamy is a good match for her, but I'm sure the one-night stand that was implied is simply to throw a kink into the Addison-McSteamy and George-Callie relationships.
    You know, I like wild-haired Callie. But why is everyone always trying to bed my man?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    I hope Alex doesn't wind up as an OB/GYN. While I agree that he does very well with the tough cases, it'd creep me out to think of him in that field day in and day out. Alex has a tremendous soft spot for the underdog and weak ... and that's what makes his character so great. But he's also got zero tolerance for the normal and the strong, and little respect for women. So while Alex would be great on the tough OB cases, he'd be horrible at the day to day!

Maybe Alex needs to become the Pediatric surgeon on the show.
    Sometimes I type faster than I think. Well, often.
    I think Addison is a high-risk OB. I don't know if she is a GYN. I agree that the creep factor would be too high for Alex to be a regular gynecologist, but I think his respect for women and obstetrics has been increasing in, hee hee, baby steps during his stint with Addison. While last night's show demonstrated the noble side of plastic surgery, the field is much easier to exploit for big bucks. I'd really like to see him grow as a character as opposed to following his baser instincts (though that would be fun to watch), and I think that would happen more with Addison. Pediatrics would be good too, he does get on well with kids. Immature people usually do .
    On a personal note, I saw him interviewed once and I could swear he said he has five kids.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fogey
    My sister told me one time what Addison's specialty is technically. I can't remember what it is, but it's focused more on neonatology than it is either OB or GYN. None of the doctors on the show are a realistic portrayal of their specialty - but that's probably even more true with Addison. Whenever there's a story involving a woman or a baby, she magically is the one to solve it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    On a personal note, I saw him interviewed once and I could swear he said he has five kids.
    Your memory is correct! Wasn't that a shocker? Not bad for a cricket!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread