+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree545Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Nena902 View Post
    I think you are all taking what I said out of context. As for as the Asian driver comment, I was agreeing that this was yet another example of Hollywood stereotyping. My point which I stated on the other page was primarily that as far as tv and the silver screen are concerned, no dorky guys ever get the hot girls.
    The King of Queens
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Yes Dear
    According to Jim
    Lost (Hurley and Libby)

All of these are programs that have examples of the chubby / dorky guys getting the good looking woman. Ironically, I've heard multiple women I know complain about how unrealistic these shows are, because no good looking woman would ever end up with guys who look like that. There are certainly cases on TV and movies where the dorky person ends up with the good looking one. Perhaps the reason there aren't more is that there aren't more examples of the same thing in real life.

i keep getting the impression that your equating the latina doctor actor as 'unatractive' because she isn't a boney stick like Pompeo

bones does not equal beauty, and i don't know why you keep saying men this men that think like this... that itself is a stereotype

that is how you are thinking.

I personally don't think any of them girls on that show are 'HOT' but that's my opinion

I thought the siezure chick therapist lady from the previous weeks episode was HOT though.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    The King of Queens
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Yes Dear
    According to Jim
    Lost (Hurley and Libby)

All of these are programs that have examples of the chubby / dorky guys getting the good looking woman. Ironically, I've heard multiple women I know complain about how unrealistic these shows are, because no good looking woman would ever end up with guys who look like that. There are certainly cases on TV and movies where the dorky person ends up with the good looking one. Perhaps the reason there aren't more is that there aren't more examples of the same thing in real life.
    Good point, Veruka, about real life--although how depressing is that?
    But re the TV show examples how often do we see the reverse? I can think of one "dorky" girl who got the guy(s)--Fred, on Angel, but she was cute dorky, if you know what I mean. Not being able to come up with any chubby girls who got the non-chubby supercool guy.
    And I agree, Nena902, kudos to Dove for those ads and commercials.
    Not sure what you mean by "your generation" though--the writers on this site include teens and grandparents and everything in between.
    Re the "looks" of the female interns on this show...only Izzy is classically beautiful, and "unrealistically" done up all the time. Meredith looks washed out and exhausted with her hair a mess most of the time. And too skinny for many. Christina is definitely not your "China doll" type of Asian look--if you just saw her face in a still photo you'd think, what an odd looking woman---her personality just overrides it all. Callie and her zaftigness adds a new dimension. Even McDreamy isn't that good looking--before I got lured into the show I saw a lot of still shots of him while reading about the show and I couldn't see what the fuss was about. It's how the character is written.
    It's one of the things I like about the show--that there is some range of looks, as well as ethnicities, although with the addition of the vet and McSteamy we may be moving in another direction.
    What makes the characters appealing is the writing/acting--George is a dork, but looks wise he's really in some ways just a younger version of Denny...neither of them is skin/bones/muscles...but Denny is written the way he described himself to Izzy, and it comes through.
    It's a little unclear why George is Callie's McDreamy, despite the nice things she's said about him to his friends...and he does seem to be letting her down. Hope George is not about to blow it.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Good point, Veruka, about real life--although how depressing is that?
    But re the TV show examples how often do we see the reverse? I can think of one "dorky" girl who got the guy(s)--Fred, on Angel, but she was cute dorky, if you know what I mean. Not being able to come up with any chubby girls who got the non-chubby supercool guy.
    And don't forget in HAIRSPRAY (the film), a then very heavy Ricki Lake got Michael St. Gerard (slim, handsome). That was nice!

And on some other boards, people were complaining that Izzy was too "fat" to have been a model. Fat? I don't think so!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    And don't forget in HAIRSPRAY (the film), a then very heavy Ricki Lake got Michael St. Gerard (slim, handsome). That was nice!

And on some other boards, people were complaining that Izzy was too "fat" to have been a model. Fat? I don't think so!
    Good example!
    Well, models are really skinny---Meredith skinny. At least certain kinds of models. But surely no one is calling Izzy fat in the normal sense? It's hard for me to believe many straight guys find Meredith's body more appealing than Izzy's....

Quote Originally Posted by Nena902 View Post
    (What gets me is why couldn't they just keep George with the cute girl for a while at least instead of making her wake up in his bed and shriek and run like the wind because she is in bed with a not so hot, dorky guy and having him walking around for weeks like a wounded boo-boo animal with no self confidence and no pride. That's stereotyping folks. And it sickens me.)
    Is the "cute girl" you're referring to Meredith? As some one else said, skinny does not equal cute. Lookswise, I (and many others that I've talked to- girls and guys) find Cally to be way more attractive than Meredith. Not only body type, but her other physical features, as well. But that is simply a matter of opinion. Don't you think it's possible that they only put George with Meredith temporarily to highlight to him her flaws and make him realize that she does not deserve to be on the pedestal what he's had her on since before they even spoke a word to each other. I prefer to think that the writers wanted George to be with someone with a stronger, positive personality that would help bring out the best in him and make him a stronger person/character, rather than someone who has, in the past, kept him in that pitiful puppy stage where everyone walked on him and made him feel like that unsure, awkward brother type. I think it had a lot more to do with WHO she is and what she represents than how she looks. That's just my opinion, though.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Good example!
    Well, models are really skinny---Meredith skinny. At least certain kinds of models. But surely no one is calling Izzy fat in the normal sense? It's hard for me to believe many straight guys find Meredith's body more appealing than Izzy's....
    No, they were actually calling IZZY (as a doctor, not a model) FAT! She is far from fat (though you're right--most runway models are more like Meredith in build)... Christina is also very slim, but she just doesn't seem as frail as Meredith. I think thin is great. I love thin. But I hate scrawny...thin and healthy is good. A little meat on your bones and healthy is good. Healthy is good!

I think the most classically handsome recurring character is Burke for the men, Izzy for the women.

Goodness .. am I the only one that is sick of the fat/skinny debate? Who cares? :roll eyes

I was reading In Touch last night and regarding the next show it said :
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that Meredith must choose between Derek and Finn! ... you have to wonder what events would suddenly make Derek single??!!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    If he were really doing the right thing though, would he be clinging to these feelings for Meredith? Marriage isn't just about living under the same roof as someone else. He declared this week that things were "over" with Meredith, because he thinks she's sleeping with someone else. Would a man who is truly working hard at his marriage have to declare things OVER with another woman, months after he re-committed himself to his wife?
    I think the point is that Derek is trying to do the right thing. It might not really be right but he's doing the best he can with the situation that he's in, and he can't help how he feels.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    No, they were actually calling IZZY (as a doctor, not a model) FAT! She is far from fat (though you're right--most runway models are more like Meredith in build)... Christina is also very slim, but she just doesn't seem as frail as Meredith. I think thin is great. I love thin. But I hate scrawny...thin and healthy is good. A little meat on your bones and healthy is good. Healthy is good!

I think the most classically handsome recurring character is Burke for the men, Izzy for the women.
    Unbelievable!! If they think Izzy should lose weight what world are they living in? And we wonder where those eating disorders come from!
    Burke definitely seems to have the best body of the guys, although Alex is also good looking (leaving out the unappealing character traits!). Overall though I find Denny the most appealing. Just have never found the 6 pack look that cool...but don't know how many straight women would agree with me.
    Last edited by PWS; 05-09-2006 at 02:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread