+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree754Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    That's interesting because, no offense, I find your entire comment (and this train of conversation) to be stereotypical.... so to be now accusing the scriptwriters of being stereotypical is quite.... hypocritical.

To accuse them of playing up a negative stereotype is grossly inaccurate and unfair.
    Well, no offense to you either, pal, but I'm a writer and I do have some insight on the typical Hollywood stereotyping. I call 'em as I see 'em, that's not being hypocritical, it's being REAL. Yeah, I am accusing them (the writers) of playing up a negative stereotype, it's very accurate but it is very unfair of them to do that. [mod edit]
    Last edited by hepcat; 05-09-2006 at 11:29 AM. Reason: removed baiting

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nena902 View Post
    Yeah, I am accusing them (the writers) of playing up a negative stereotype, it's very accurate but it is very unfair of them to do that.
    Hey Nena, are you saying that the negative stereotype about Asians being bad drivers is an accurate stereotype? If so, I'd have to disagree with you. I think there are many reasons for being bad drivers, but being part of a certain ethnicity (or sex) doesn't have anything to do with it.

I'm hoping we see more of Finn for a long time! I really enjoyed his scenes--he seems so normal and a nice balance for Meredith, who deserves to be with a guy. Plus, if he can make Dr. McPointy upset, I'm all for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nena902 View Post
    Well, no offense to you either, pal, but I'm a writer and I do have some insight on the typical Hollywood stereotyping. I call 'em as I see 'em, that's not being hypocritical, it's being REAL. Yeah, I am accusing them (the writers) of playing up a negative stereotype, it's very accurate but it is very unfair of them to do that. [mod edit]
    I really don't think they were playing up a stereotype in this case. The storyline was about the possible consequences of the kind of exhausting schedule interns live. It wasn't about Martin being a bad driver or a careless driver. It made all the other interns (none of whom other than Christina is Asian-American) think that it could have been me.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

LG.
    anyone is a horrible driver if they're asleep at the wheel. I think the only "stereotype" in this role is that hospital residents are sleep-deprived, and I think that stereotype in the context of this show (and probably real life) is accurate because they work really long hours. I don't think that this actor's ethnicity played into the casting at all, as the doctors on the show (Meredith in particular) saw him as "another overworked intern" who got overly tired, made a terrible mistake and drove while drowsy and it resulted in tragic consequences (something that could have happened to any one of them). I didn't sense a hint that anyone on the show viewed him as ot "some terrible asian driver" not even Big Jim, who was very angry at him at first (without knowing that he was asian or a doctor), but when the mom was yelling "Jim, he's hurt" Big Jim backed off right away and had compassion for the very, very sorry doc at the end, despite his loss. I really didn't read anything racial into that role at all, but I'm not asian, so I'm not particularly sensitive to those stereotypes either. I think the role was very well acted by Kumar, and may serve as a "wake-up" call to some of the Seattle Grace interns that even though they're doctors, they aren't superman, they're human and can make mistakes that kill people. Drowsy driving could happen to any of them. Especially Meredith, who also tends to drink more than her share (and maybe drive home afterwards) on a regular basis.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

i don't know what all the talk about 'overweight' and easy on the eyes stuff is about

i actually thought the bathroom scene was pretty funny and it cracked me up. The reaction wasn't juvenile, it made sense

think about it. if you are in your own house and a somewhat stranger wanders into you bathroom basically bukked naked and uses the restroom in front of you, etc. You would be shocked and in disbelief that that just happened.

though whole point of that scene was to setup all the hand washing jokes and that part at the end where she was telling George he has to stick up for her

i guess people see what they want to see and make there own view of the situation...

FORT Fogey
    I agree Dogg. I thought the scene did a great job of setting up the akwardness for all parties. For Meredith and Izzie, it was the bizzare experience of having a naked woman walk into their bathroom and pee in front of them. For whats-her-name (George's girlfriend) it was the akwardness of thinking you were walking into an empty room in an empty house naked, and discovering there were two people in there.

There is bound to be a lot of akwardness between the three women. Meredith and Izzie are George's buddies and roommates. They're used to being big influences in his life. In some ways, they're closer to George. But they have to figure out how to cede space to the girlfriend, and she has to figure out how to get used to such influential "other women" in his life. There is bound to be a "us against her" dynamic in any situation like that, and that scene did a good job of illustrating that. Then, the follow up of the "you need to stick up for me" scene foreshadowed the wedge that can continue to be driven between George's girl friends and his girlfriend.

LG.
    George is a sweetheart, but I don't think he's had a whole ton of experience being in a relationship and having a girlfriend. It probably never occured to him he needed to stick up for Callie, as she's so strong and independent, but in that situation (the dynamic with George's girl friends) he really does need to pave the way to make it easier for Callie to be in that house. Izzy should have known that Callie was around as George had already talked to her about it, so she shouldn't have been shocked that Callie was coming in to use the restroom. HOwever, Callie should have also been aware that other people live in that house and could be loitering in the restroom. Robes people - they are nice when you're roaming around the house wanting to take a pee in the wee hours.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Live and learn (stereotypes)--never heard that one about Asians before! Women yes, Asians no.
    I've never heard that either! My fiancee mentioned that stereotype while watching the show and I was like, "what are you talking about?". And I'm Asian!

I think you are all taking what I said out of context. As for as the Asian driver comment, I was agreeing that this was yet another example of Hollywood stereotyping. My point which I stated on the other page was primarily that as far as tv and the silver screen are concerned, no dorky guys ever get the hot girls. It's been that way since the golden ages of stage and screen and it continues to this day. I am reading books about this very thing for a term paper and that is why I am so offended by it. My point is that I would like to see tv and movies drop the stereotypinging and start seeing the dorky guys getting the hot girls, the overweight girls getting the George Clooneys and people portraited as people, pimples, frizzies and all, and not these mono-images that we are seeing all over the big and small screen. I think the Dove commercials have it right. And this is the reason why so many kids today are anorexic because they can't possibly strive toward the images that Hollywood throws down their throats. All of that stereotyping simply has got to go! THAT'S what I'm saying.

(What gets me is why couldn't they just keep George with the cute girl for a while at least instead of making her wake up in his bed and shriek and run like the wind because she is in bed with a not so hot, dorky guy and having him walking around for weeks like a wounded boo-boo animal with no self confidence and no pride. That's stereotyping folks. And it sickens me.)
    Last edited by Nena902; 05-09-2006 at 01:29 PM.

And frankly, I can't believe you don't see that or agree with that. Because it is YOUR generation that is suffering because of all the stereotyping going on in the movie, television and media industry.

+ Reply to Thread