+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    The problem was that since it was a c-section, her husband was in the OR.
    I never even thought of that. For some reason, I just assumed he wasn't there...

FORT Fogey
    he wasn't there

the wife had to tell him about the complications so I would assume he wasn't there - he probably would have spoken up right away if he was there.

And Addison wants Alex close so she can make his life a living hell .. I'm quite looking forward to it
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

LG.
    Then Addison should have had her sign a new HIPAA Authorization Form specifically excluding information about this procedure to her husband, and her husband would have no legal entitlement to receive that form. Under HIPAA you have the right to revoke your authorization at any time at your own request, and it could be argued that she in fact did (orally) by what she had requested, but the hospital would of course want it in writing. HIPAA, by the way, is an acronym standing for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and it applies to health care providers (like hospitals) and group health plans (like their insurance plan) and pretty much says that if a patient doesn't want someone else to know their medical information, then it doesn't go out (or the hospital, insurance plan, etc. who let it out has problems). There are tricky areas for minor children when their parents want information (and state law disclosure issues to consider), but for adults it is pretty clear-cut. As for the hubby standing in the OR, that is a tricky issue, but Addison maybe could have had a discussion with the OR staff before starting the surgery when the hubby (and patient) weren't around.

I know they are writing a dramatic television show and it is not a reality show, so it makes more sense for Addison to not bother getting the paperwork, but I think a real life doctor would not just ignore the hospital's policies and procedures surround consent for treatment forms (specifically when the patient "added on" her request for the tubal ligation), as that is standard practice for even the most routine medical procedures. In this case Addison would have especially seen the red flags around this situation and made sure to protect herself, I would think, but then again I think more like a lawyer than a doctor.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey
    tubal ligation? is that Reversible?

LG.
    my understanding about tubal ligation is that it is somewhat reversible, but not always effectively. Vasectomies are more likely to be reversible and result in pregnancy, but both are still considered by medical professionals to be methods of "permanent" birth control and should only be performed on individuals who are certain that they personally do not wish to have more children in the future. The lady with 7 kids and many medical complications related to that would actually be a good candidate for it if she could have been honest with her husband.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I think they manipulated it a bit so that there would be something to sue over (falsified records). In reality, an OB/GYN would have to keep a pregnant woman's medical records or any medical issues regarding the pregnancy confidential. In my experience, especially if they know you are going to have a C-section ahead of time, they discuss tubal ligation at various appointments throughout the pregnancy. It really strained credibility that she would take the woman's appeal right there in the hospital. I don't know if she was her regular OB, but if she was, surely she would have discussed it before then. If she wasn't her regular OB, she could have conferred with the regular doctor about the woman's mental state if nothing else. And even if she was moved to help out the woman with a major procedure, why did she go about it that way? It would have been simpler to plan the surgery with the mother, have her sign consent forms and assure her that the records were her business, not her husband's. She didn't have to say anything to the father, and if asked, she could reply that medical records are confidential.

It was just too big of a stretch in my opinion, but Meredith coming over as the vet was walking out the door to deliver a foal was probably even more of an unlikely sequence of events.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post

It was just too big of a stretch in my opinion, but Meredith coming over as the vet was walking out the door to deliver a foal was probably even more of an unlikely sequence of events.
    It could have been worse. The foal could have been born with a heart defect, and Meredith, based on a heart surgery she helped with recently, could have scrubbed up and saved the foal. Or, even better, the vet could have discovered that the horse wasn't really pregnant, but rather had a bomb in her abdomen, which of course Meredith would have had to pull out!

I think Alex just have a personality that knows no flavor, if you catch my meaning. He didn't have to tell on Addison, but he did because he had it in his head that he was right and she was wrong. I know why she did the operation, and I probably could have done the same thing. She just forgot the old "CYA", and that's unfortunate. We all know that the wife is not going to come forward and admit that she asked for it.
    I hope the vet does become her new flame. I loved how McDreamy was so honked off about it, then went home and was finally able to have steaming sex with his wife. He sure can't be calling her any names without them flowing back to him.

FORT Fogey
    as long as they don't kill of denny i am ok

+ Reply to Thread