+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey
    Gaby - I totally agree with you that Alex has some big big issues when it comes to his utter lack of respct for women. But there have been cases where he's treated male patients like crap with horrible bedside manner too, as well as patients who were kids. Based on that, I think that if the shoe was on the other foot, and he was faced with a man asking for a vasectomy without telling his wife, Alex would have the same reaction. He's one of those doctors who views medicine purely from a textbook, lab sort of standpoint, with no appreciation for the fact that he's working with PEOPLE.

The only thing that bothered me about the vet was that they seemed to be making him WAY too much like Derek.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I think Alex was a mega jerk last night as well...but I think he knows that plenty of women are smarter than him. I don't think he for a second thinks he can go one on one (in any sense) with Christina! And he knows everyone else passed the boards except him (and didn't he have to take it twice of something?). I think he's just an angry man who doesn't really like anyone who can't do anything for him. The reason women fall for him (on the show) is 'cause he's a good looking bad boy, and SOME women in their 20's like that even though they know it's bad for them.

I thought that the thing that really ticked him off was the weak patient who was too chicken to be truthful with her husband and then Addison for being too weak to tell the truth in the O.R. and LYING to her staff. She could've said something like, "The patient requested to have her tubes tied so we are honoring her wishes; she doesn't want her husband to know so that's between them."

Remember a few weeks ago when Alex told that dying woman to stop lying to her daughter. (I think the woman was Laurie Metcalfe.) He was horrible for being so blunt with her but that honesty helped her let her daughter share their last few days together.

Don't get me wrong--Alex is a jackass. But even though I don't like the way he does some things and his reasoning behind them, I do agree sometimes that it needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    The only thing that bothered me about the vet was that they seemed to be making him WAY too much like Derek.
    Only cuter. And less pointy.

FORT Fogey
    sorry but addison should know better. Am i the only one that felt like slapping that addison's patient? 7 kids, tell your husband enough is enough. are we in the 8th century or what?

izzy and denis. please producers, please don't kill denis? please, i am begging

LG.
    I almost had some respect for Alex when he told the dying mom to stop lying to her teenage daughter, but last night he treated an adult female patient like a disobedient child. I think the person who said that Alex is a misogynist who hates all women and trots out his "brutal honesty" most often just to hurt women was dead on. Even when he was being cruel to Denny, it wasn't to hurt Denny - it was to hurt Izzy. Alex really is a misogynist jerk. When the mother of too many didn't do as he wanted (tell her husband about the tubal ligation) Alex went and told her husband / daddy on her, and got everyone in a lot of unnecessary trouble. The mother of too many is a legal adult and can make her own medical decisions. She does not have a legal obligation to tell her husband that she decided to get her tubes tied or that she in fact had them tied. That is her medical information, not the husband's. She didn't have him drugged and given a surprise vasectomy (which would be a battery). She had an elective procedure done on herself for her own reasons. That information is not legally any of her husband's business. Alex should have respected that. Addison should have seen what a coward this woman was in the face of her puritanical husband and made her sign a consent form, as even if Alex didn't rat her out, he was likely to come back suing for malpractice in the future when they failed to produce baby number 8 in a couple of years. That was completely predictable (IMHO) and maybe earlier if she was more eager to have sex without a 4 year wait again, he might have been suspicious. Legally, the husband does not have the right to be informed of a wife's medical information without her permission. Grown up women can legally keep their medical information from controlling males. Morally can she withhold it from him - that is another issue. I never really thought that I'd start to like Addison after she was introduced as the long-absent wife of Derek who had cheated on him, but she really is growing on me. Meredith - I could frankly care less about at this point. Everyone else on the show is much more interesting.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey
    The legal grounds the husband / father of 7 has to stand on is not a matter of the tubal ligation being performed - it's a matter of his wife's medical records being falsified. The records were written to say there was a complication which caused the sterilization. As the chief said, there is no complication to a c-section that would necessitate such a thing. It is legal to do a procedure on a woman without the consent of her husband. It is not legal to falsify a medical record to cover your lies. That is where Addison is screwed.

I agree that they've done a great job of transitioning her from the wicked witch from the east coast to a really likable character. And I LOVE the way that the Sheppard marraige is being protrayed - it's strange to say, but it's refreshing to see such an honest portrayal of marriage being so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    are we in the 8th century or what?
    we aren't but the catholic church is.

Alex had no right disclosing anything about Rose's decision. Doctors are 'helpers' by definition so I can see Addison bending over backward to help her patient. She was not very smart to perform any surgery without signed documentation. It is confidential after all and if the claim is not submitted to the Insurance company there would have been no disclosure to the husband at all. Addison probably would have even waived her fees for the ligation - but she should have had that signature.
    Alex needs a kick in the head - I can't wait to see what horrors Addison has in store for her new intern muahahaha.

Kinda telling that Derek assumed that Finn and Meredith had shower sex and he goes home and demands the same from Addison - jealous much??
    And seriously... who 'thanks' their spouse for sex? OMG don't tell me I've been committing a faux pas for 13 years!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey
    alex is the one that started everything. He should have kept his mouth shut.

FORT Fan
    I was surprised at the end when Addision said that he was going to be working with her for a while. I would have thought that she would never want to work with him again after his actions

LG.
    Addison should not have falsified the medical records. She should have been upfront with the OR staff and the records about the tubal ligation, and just told everyone involved in patient care that this patient has specifically not authorized information about her operation to be given to her husband. Period. It would then be a HIPAA Privacy violation for anyone in the hospital or at the insurance company to disclose to husband that she'd had a tubal ligation. I'm trying to remember exactly what Alex told the husband, but he could have very easily violated HIPAA with what he did anyway, as he knew that the patient did not consent to having her husband find out about her protected health information.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey
    The problem was that since it was a c-section, her husband was in the OR. So Addison had no way to communicate with the OR staff without the husband knowing. There's also a very high likelihood that when she checked into the hospital, and signed her HIPAA consent, she listed her husband as an authorized party to discuss her case with. If she did, then HIPAA doesn't protect her from him.
    Last edited by Veruka; 05-01-2006 at 03:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread