+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey
    Well im african american and using the term "thick" has never been insult in the black community. I dont prefer that body type or the stick thin body type. I prefer 4-8, which to me in the real world is thin but not too thin but thick still is not an insult. Dr. Torres does look "thick" to me. Alot of people use the term curvy for anyone a certain size but thats not accurate. There are girls that are size twos that I consider curvy and girls size 10's that aren't curvy at all but just wide. I havent seen Dr. Torres shape wise to know if she's curvy or not so thick fits her better. No she's not fat or even close to it but the girl is thick. Curvy is just a shapely body. Halle Berry is curvy. She has a waist that curves in beautifully and hips that stick out but she is still very thin. I doubt she's bigger than a 4, maybe size two.

This is such a fantastic show. Everyone who watches it loves it. It is culturally diverse but yet not in a way that makes the show seem like they are just trying hard to be politically correct. No one is potrayed as a "token" asian or token black person on this show and thats what I love. I would like it though if they had a black woman that was potrayed as sexy. I like Dr. Bailey and wouldn't want her replaced but there is alot of attractive black actresses that I wouldnt mind seeing one on this show.
    Last edited by caramelbeauty81; 04-04-2006 at 06:48 PM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by caramelbeauty81 View Post
    I would like it though if they had a black woman that was potrayed as sexy. I like Dr. Bailey and wouldn't want her replaced but there is alot of attractive black actresses that I wouldnt mind seeing one on this show.
    Just want to remind everyone of the show when Dr. Bailey showed up in her anniversary dinner outfit, super cleavage, short skirt, spike heels and all, and had jaws dropping. Definitely curvy! You just can't see it in the outfits she wears "to work" on the show as they are not fitted and do not show off her curves--just drop straight from her (large) bust. You don't have to look like Haile Berry to be curvy!
    Not to say we can't use more actresses, but you are the second poster to kind of dis Dr. B's body--want to get my reminder in!

I definitely think our perceptions of size, with respect to TV actresses, are messed up. The statistic is that the average soap actress is a size 2 I remember years ago on one of my soaps there was an actress who was about 5'5" and a size 10 or 12. People all over the Internet were calling her fat. I know that every time I see a celeb in person (including the Governator the other week ago), I'm amazed at how tiny they are - at least compared to what I imagined.

misskitty -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    According to Kristen on EOnline, they aren't doing that storyline anymore...at least this season. I would've loved it though! As if Burke isn't freaked out enough!

ITA that I love this show for its racial diversity and for the fact that it's not really an issue within the show. It's just life.

OTiS - I had a friend with the same problem and people were always coming up to her and asking her if she was sick. Like you'd do that to someone who is heavy. The pics of Ellen in Self were beautiful. I do think she's a bit drawn in the face now but that may also be lack of make-up since this is supposed to be a realistic portrayal (in TV land, at least!) of life as an intern.

I can't believe we only have 4 episodes left!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

This is such a fantastic show. Everyone who watches it loves it. It is culturally diverse but yet not in a way that makes the show seem like they are just trying hard to be politically correct. No one is potrayed as a "token" asian or token black person on this show and thats what I love. I would like it though if they had a black woman that was potrayed as sexy. I like Dr. Bailey and wouldn't want her replaced but there is alot of attractive black actresses that I wouldnt mind seeing one on this show.
    I'd personally like it if they didn't try to have everyone on this (or any) show be stereotypically beautiful. I don't want Bailey replaced as there is absolutely no one better that could portray her. And Bailey isn't, nor should be, a sexy icon. Leave that for another show.

MissKitty
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Even if I hadn't already read Kristen's blurb on eonline.com, I'd find it hard to believe that Sandra Oh would jump into another lesbian role, after having played one in Under the Tuscan Sun. Most actors don't want to get lumped into a stereotype.

And... just to possibly correct a possible misunderstanding... I am not criticizing Ellen Pompeo's weight and saying she has an eating disorder. I just think she is noticeably different than Season One, and from the other roles that I've seen her in. That's all.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

This is now my favorite non-reality show by far. I love Bailey and no one better mess with her. When she's at work, she's at work. I wish we got to see her husband a little more and the interaction between the two of them. I loved seeing Bailey try to deal with her maternal instincts during the spelling champ's surgery. I also love Dr. Torres. I loved her describing how into George she is and the fact that she's not a toothpick. I also thought the "I'm not crazy" thing was hilarious. I agree with everyone that the Denny/Izzy thing isn't going to have a happy ending.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    And... just to possibly correct a possible misunderstanding... I am not criticizing Ellen Pompeo's weight and saying she has an eating disorder. I just think she is noticeably different than Season One, and from the other roles that I've seen her in. That's all.
    I knew what you were saying, Broadway The main difference I see is in her face, which looks very drawn now. Even in earlier photos where her body looked about the same to me as it does now, her face looked fuller and healthier.

*lalalalalala* (fingers in ears) I don't to think about the whole Denny and Izzy thing going bad. The one beef I have with this show is that they bring in a character/patient and make them very endearing and then they KILL THEM OFF! Yes, I know people die in surgery, but I wish they'd knock it off anyway!

Bailey has really become one of my favorite characters. Really though, every week another character becomes one of my favorites. Each character is a multi-faceted person instead of just an archetype.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Who was Ellen Pompeo on Friends? Grey's Anatomy is the first time I have noticed her.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Hey, pessimists! Remember all kinds of people come on briefly and then stay...e.g., Addison, and Denny already. How about if he survives, and then they deal if she actually likes him so much when he's NOT dying? Actually, not a bad idea... he gets a lot of romantic chops for being brave while dying. Would he still be as nice in real life? Or maybe he'd want more of her time than she can give. I'm sure they could come up with interesting problems. His money could be a problem...maybe he'd want her to quit medicine..... OK I'm reaching, but still hopeful... or at least hoping.

hiyas Mariner, fellow Evergreen Stater :waves Did you see the frist episode and also kinda chuckle from when they showed the hospital was like, almost across the street from the Space Needle?

FORT Fogey

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard somewhere that when they were casting the show, they had the personalities of the characters established, but not the races, unlike what normally happens in the casting process. So they auditioned actors, looking for people who fit each character, regardless of race, appearance, etc. Once they had everyone, someone on the cast looked around one day and made a comment about the diversity they had. The producers had not even realized until that point how true it was. I think that without question adds something to the show. They don't play things off as "How would an asian woman react to a black woman doing X?" They treat the characters as characters, and not political statements. It's certainly refreshing!

+ Reply to Thread