+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 725 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112512 ... LastLast
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    "but this is a TV show. Plain and simple. If we were to apply this rule of "clarifying" to every show we would have some really boring television.

These are concepts applied to the script to make the show fresh each week. I like this show very much. However, I watch this show for entertainment, not for a crash course in medical ethics."
    Exactly. I am so tired of people and their personal agenda's and bitching about a TV show as if its real. Its for entertainment only, folks. Get grip.

If someone really wants a crash course about a hospital that is what Discovery Channel is all about...Besides this show is suppose to be about interns... not a full medical staff of people.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby
    Exactly. I am so tired of people and their personal agenda's and bitching about a TV show as if its real. Its for entertainment only, folks. Get grip.

If someone really wants a crash course about a hospital that is what Discovery Channel is all about...Besides this show is suppose to be about interns... not a full medical staff of people.
    Right, it's mostly about the interns and that's fine. But when it does show other people it could make an effort to show them in a way that is in touch with reality. Why not? Doesn't hurt the show if they acknowledge that both the nurse and the intern were right, does it? The intern could learn a lesson abouit who to listen to, and it would still be focused on the intern.
    And yes, it's only for entertainment, but it also teaches---lots of research shows that. I can't tell you how many college students and college educated people have said to me "I saw on TV that..." And that's just the overt stuff. The covert messages are equally strong. If they are good ones then maybe the next generation of doctors won't even dream of throwing instrument trays at nurses.
    Last edited by PWS; 04-30-2005 at 08:12 AM.

Premium Member

That is true, but you would be surprised how many people we encounter in hospitals who think that what they see on these shows is how it is in real life. It drives me nuts when a medical show is so unrealistic because I know there are people who are going to believe that it's real. House for example, drove me nuts because you never saw any nurses or ancillary personnel. That small group of doctors did everything for the patient. We have parents come into our unit in the middle of the night expecting to be able to talk to the doctor. But I also love that show in spite of the things that drive me nuts. It would be nice if people always understood that it's just entertainment but that's not always the case.
    The Discovery shows are very good for teaching reality but I refuse to watch them because I don't need to see that stuff on my day off.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 04-30-2005 at 09:30 AM.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I agree that it is fiction and I wasn't aware of the nursing aspect until I found the story on google. That being said, it is more difficult to get a grip if you belong to the group that you feel is being slighted and you genuinely feel offended.

definitely don't want to come across as insensitive to nurses (especially since I've spent so much time in the hosptial these last 18 months that they're probably going to name the Radiology wing after me) but this is a TV show. Plain and simple. If we were to apply this rule of "clarifying" to every show we would have some really boring television.
    Nurses I have several in my family, and they really do save lives. I have seen them talk doctors through critical situations, and some times- they really are the ones responsible for saving a life!
    I loved the way the nurses stayed calm, supported and talked Izzie through her crisis in tonights episode. To the nurses in the real world

These are concepts applied to the script to make the show fresh each week. I like this show very much. However, I watch this show for entertainment, not for a crash course in medical ethics
    Thank you, speedbump. I too watch the show (actually all the shows I watch) for entertainment only. If i want to learn something i'll go to the Discovery Channel, History Channel, or some other learning channel, the internet, college, etc.

I felt bad for that lady with the giant tumor didn't make it. Her fear came true, but after hearing insensitive comments over and over again, at least that one intern did ask her why she didn't come in a year ago to get it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I felt bad for that lady with the giant tumor didn't make it. Her fear came true, but after hearing insensitive comments over and over again, at least that one intern did ask her why she didn't come in a year ago to get it checked out.
    I felt bad for her also, but George seems to have a heart and a very good bed-side manner. To find out the reason she never went to the hospital was because everyone she knew that went to the hospital never came out, and then the same thing happened to her.

Well, because of the NBA Championships, GA wasn't on here until midnight.

I would've forgotten it was on if I hadn't come here!

Just when it looks like Alex has grown a heart, he shows his true colors again. I felt so sad for that poor woman having to just lay there and listen to all of the scornful comments he made about her. I'm glad Burke nailed him for it. I hope he also gets in trouble for not changing the battery in his pager. He's lucky that Izzy was able to save that patient or he'd really be in hot water. I'm glad though that his screw up ended up making Izzy look good. I feel like she's finally gaining some self-confidence in her abilities.

From the previews for next week, it seems pretty clear that Cristina is pregnant. Can't wait to see how she and Burke handle this, particularly since neither of them seem capable of even defining the relationship.

Poor George. He's going to be crushed when he finds out about Sheppard and Meredith. Hopefully, he'll get his own love interest down the line.

Still feeling the Patrick Dempsey love
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

not really about the episode, but this pompeo chick looks anorexic

to her fans, has this always been her natural size? her head and body don't seem to match

she has a round renee zelwilgger (sp?) face and boney frame and her walk isn't pretty

Great episode last night

I too, felt bad for the lady with the tumor having to lie there and listen to Alex bad mouth her. Just when he was starting to grow on me... (except for the fact that each time I see him, I picture him on the moped in "The Wedding Planner".)

Critical - I'm co-signing on Patrick Dempsey

+ Reply to Thread