+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 725 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111511 ... LastLast
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Thanks for the quick recap, Critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Thanks for the quick recap, Critical.
    You're very welcome Wolf!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Who is the Mommy!?!

Well I am thinking the Doctor who comes up pregnant is the Nazi. I keep reading its the one you least suspect. So that's my guess. Plus it would make it great... she already is a little testy... image her pregnant!
    Last edited by gaby; 04-29-2005 at 02:52 AM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Excellent comments re the portrayal of nursing. Contrast that with ER where the nurses clearly are teaching the new docs, and where Abby even forgoes med school for a while because she doesn't want to lose being in touch with patients as she was as a nurse. Even Scrubs makes the point that the nurses know a lot more than newbie doctors! So it obviously can be done. And abuse by doctors of nurses should really be portrayed negatively...so hopefully the new generation of doctors will be less likely to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    This has got to be one of the best scripted shows that has come around in quite some time, Desperate Housewives, included.
    i totally agree with you, broadway. i think this show surpassed the writing for desperate housewives in its first week.

I watched this show for the first time this week and I am so hooked.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I hope they address the nurses' concerns. This show has a lot of viewers. ABC shouldn't allow this to continue.

I definitely don't want to come across as insensitive to nurses (especially since I've spent so much time in the hosptial these last 18 months that they're probably going to name the Radiology wing after me) but this is a TV show. Plain and simple. If we were to apply this rule of "clarifying" to every show we would have some really boring television.

These are concepts applied to the script to make the show fresh each week. I like this show very much. However, I watch this show for entertainment, not for a crash course in medical ethics.

As a side note, I love all the nurses that have taken care of me. They are professional, dedicated and are the true backbones of medicine. From check-in to check-out, I've always felt like I was the only one being take care of. I always send each nursing station a floral bouquet and gourmet chocolates after each surgery.
    Last edited by speedbump; 04-29-2005 at 10:25 PM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Premium Member
    I love this show too, but a lot of what they say in the article is true although I didn't give it much thought until I saw this. I've been a nurse for 27 years and a nurse practitioner for 13, and I supervise med students and residents every day. The nurses on ER and SCRUBS really are portrayed far more accurately than on this show. The nurses in the unit where I work are very intelligent, experienced people and they can and have guided many residents through crisis situations. I just think that people should kind of loosen up their butt-cheeks about this because it's really not a show about nurses, it's a FICTIONAL show about interns. We all know that in real life it's not the interns who always come up with the answers and save the day... for the most part they are scared to death and don't really have that much of a clue what they are doing.

On the other hand, I do think the show is pretty accurate on some of these issues. When Meredith got upset about being called a nurse that was really not so unusual. I didn't take it as Meredith hating nurses but just that when you've busted your butt for 8 years of college and med school to get where you are it is kind of an insult to be called a nurse. That's not being derogatory toward nurses, it's just a fact of life. Once a patient mistook me for someone from the dietary and I felt equally insulted. When I first started in nursing the dressing rooms were not labeled Men and Women but they were labeled Doctors and Nurses, assuming that only men were doctors and only women were nurses. A few of the female doctors would get pissed about it and walk right on in to the doctor's dressing room but they were mostly expected to use the nurses room. If a woman health care professional came into a room the patient usually assumed that they were a nurse, so most of the female doctors I've worked with over the years absolutely hate being mistaken for nurses because it's taken so long to break that stereotype.

Nurses have also had to bust their butts to finally get the respect and recognition they deserve. Long ago even before my time it was expected that the nurse would stand up when a doctor entered the room and her job was to carry the charts for him and be a submissive little wench. In my years as a nurse I have been sexually harassed by doctors, yelled at by doctors... sometimes I deserved it but most of the time it was over something beyond my control. I've had doctors refuse to come in when I called them for a delivery and then yell at me or report me to my manager for delivering the baby without him. I've had instruments thrown at me, instruments thrown across the room, been physically pushed around. I'm sure anyone who has been a nurse for any length of time has some good stories. The truth is that the doctors would not be able to function without the nurses because it's the nurses who truly know what is going on with the patients and thankfully most doctors in this day and age recognize this and the working relationship between doctors and nurses is actually quite good now. Still I can understand why this group is a little touchy about it.

Also, it was pretty accurate to have the nurse who was questioning the diagnosis be an older lady. The average age of nurses today is around 45-50-ish. The ones who haven't already quit the profession because of burnout will be retiring in the next 10-15 years and the shortage is only going to get worse.

I still love the show no matter what anyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby
    Well I am thinking the Doctor who comes up pregnant is the Nazi. I keep reading its the one you least suspect. So that's my guess. Plus it would make it great... she already is a little testy... image her pregnant!
    Gaby, I think it will be Cristina. Especially after the way she locked the door to the locker room at the end of the last show. The question is what will happen next? Miscarriage? Abortion? Will she have the baby? I think they will work in a miscarriage. I can't see her going 9 months during an internship, but who knows.
    Just my guess

+ Reply to Thread