+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 135 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788128 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office on NBC

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: The Office on NBC

For the most part, I really enjoyed the season opener--the Jim & Pam stuff, Ed Helms back, Ryan in his position of authority...whether he's a dog or a fish, Michael running down Meredith, etc. But the one thing that still bugs the crap out of me is Dwight killing Angela's cat. I know Dwight is supposed to be an over-the-top asshat, but his weird romantic relationship with Angela put a human edge on his otherwise largely cartoon behavior. For the story to go to the point where he off her cat just disgusted me both because the idea of killing your girlfriend's cat is inexcusable but also as a character, Dwight has gone back into cartoon land.

CCL

I didn't think it was out of character for Dwight to kill the cat. His whole speech about how he was a farmer and that's what they do to animals in distress...that rang true. But I don't see how Angela could possibly stay with him now.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

I loved last night's episode! I loved that Jim and Pam were together and I loved the opening with Michael and Jan. I was a little disturbed by the whole Dwight killing Angela's cat thing. Not that I think it's out of character for him to do, but I was surprised that the writers took it that far.

I thought no one in the office knew about Angela and Dwight's relationship. Angela went to Pam with a "relationship" problem and then told her about her suspicions of Dwight and Sprinkles.

I thought Pam was suspicious during the Jim's Karaoke party, but gave up on the idea...

Did I miss something?
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2591025;
    I didn't think it was out of character for Dwight to kill the cat. His whole speech about how he was a farmer and that's what they do to animals in distress...that rang true. But I don't see how Angela could possibly stay with him now.
    I think it was set up fairly well when Angela was giving all the noontime feeding and medicating instructions to Dwight - it gave more credence to his claim that it was a mercy killing.

While it's lovely to see Jam together, I'm wondering how the writers are going to sustain the relationship without losing viewer interest. Though I quite liked their sneaking around out of the camera's eye.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I absolutely LOVED how they revealed Jam... so, so great! The whole thing was pretty funny though. Can't wait for the next few.

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2590829;
    For the most part, I really enjoyed the season opener--the Jim & Pam stuff, Ed Helms back, Ryan in his position of authority...whether he's a dog or a fish, Michael running down Meredith, etc. But the one thing that still bugs the crap out of me is Dwight killing Angela's cat. I know Dwight is supposed to be an over-the-top asshat, but his weird romantic relationship with Angela put a human edge on his otherwise largely cartoon behavior. For the story to go to the point where he off her cat just disgusted me both because the idea of killing your girlfriend's cat is inexcusable but also as a character, Dwight has gone back into cartoon land.

That has (probably for good) ruined the character of Dwight for me. I could really identify with Angela. I also have seen a cat through a number of health issues. Hairball (or my '97 model as the vet sometimes refers to him hehe) ran out in front of my car about nine years ago - they guessed he was about a year old when I found him (or he found me, as the case may be). Since then, I've seen him through ear mites, parasites, a large lump on his tail which, if it hadn't "corrected" itself (either it exploded on its own or he chewed on it) would have resulted in the amputation of his tail, possible arthritis, a skin condition, and a few trips to the vet when he had a limp (they think due to a skin condition that affected the pads of his paws). Now he has diabetes. Along with that comes regular trips to the vet to check his blood and the cost that goes along with treating diabetes (I pay $80.00 approximately every two months for insulin and then there's the cost of the syringes and special food in addition to vet bills). Speaking of expenses, for about six weeks once, he was on four different medications for a variety of health issues. My social life is basically in the toilet because I have to be home at night to feed him at 6:45 and give him his insulin shot a half-hour later at 7:15. Because I live in a big city, time doesn't allow me to make a quick trip home and then head back downtown. Then there are the behavioral issues. Despite having a home and regular meals for nine years, he's still obsessed with where his next meal is coming from (according to the vet, it's probably psychological because his diabetes is now under control). Keeping him out of the garbage is a constant struggle and he long ago figured out how to get past the child-proof locks on the cupboards. (I'd bet my last dime he's going to figure out how to open up the refrigerator next!) I had to tear out the carpet in my formal dining room due to his urinating and defecating on it. Until my vet and I can figure out whether that's due to physical or behavioral problems and can put a stop to it, it's going to have to remain that way. Despite all of his issues, believe it or not, he's a happy cat and isn't in any pain or uncomfortable in any way. If anyone is going to make the decision to put him down, it's going to be me, not some guy I'm dating.

Sorry for the long rant, and I know it's just a tv show, but like I said, I could really identify with Angela. She also mentioned that there were some hash browns in the freezer that had been all clawed up. That cat didn't die a humane death. I was just getting into this show, but the whole issue of Dwight killing Angela's cat just didn't sit well with me.

(On a more positive note, the way they handled Jam's reunion was genius.)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2591196;
    I think it was set up fairly well when Angela was giving all the noontime feeding and medicating instructions to Dwight - it gave more credence to his claim that it was a mercy killing.
    But, if I was Angela, every time I would look at Dwight I would be thinking about the clawed up hash browns (or whatever they were). He might have meant well, and thought he was doing well, but it didn't work out well and the idea that the cat was alive in the freezer and trying to get out...well, that would stay with me. (Plus I would never approve of the idea of anyone taking the decision to end my cat's life out of my hands. That was Angela's decision to make, not Dwight's). Unlike Carla, it hasn't ruined Dwight for me as I honestly think he thought he was doing the right thing (and he's never been that sentimental; to him it was just a cat) but I still don't like what he did.

While it's lovely to see Jam together, I'm wondering how the writers are going to sustain the relationship without losing viewer interest. Though I quite liked their sneaking around out of the camera's eye.
    I thought they handled it pretty well, didn't make it too gooey (though I'm all for gooey). They seemed to be making an effort to make it not too much of the focus of the show. Jim & Pam used to always be together (first couple of seasons, at least), so I think they will make it like that, with a bit of romance sprinkled in. I'm waiting for the first Jam fight. Jim looked a bit put out at having to carry the lamp...
    Last edited by CCL; 09-28-2007 at 11:37 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2591196;
    While it's lovely to see Jam together, I'm wondering how the writers are going to sustain the relationship without losing viewer interest.
    Hmm. They'll have a minor fight and makeup sex during November sweeps. Then a big blowup/breakup during February sweeps. Then, for the season finale to cap off the May sweeps roller coaster, The. Biggest. Office. Wedding. Ever. Or something.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Personally, when it comes to Jam, I can't wait for this:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Pam and Jim spend a night out on Dwight’s family farm, now a bed and breakfast.

Which will happen in the episode that airs October 18.

+ Reply to Thread