+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 135 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office on NBC

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2234998;

I like Toby, too. He always seems like such a sad sack character so it is weird to think of him going to the gym and hooking up with someone. I love Michael's unexplained animosity toward Toby as well. Everyone else he tries to (overbearingly) be friends with but he's the total opposite with Toby. I don't think it is just because Toby works for corporate so is not under Michael's control. I don't know what it is exactly but it's amusing all the same.

I agree that "sad sack" is perfect to describe Toby. It seems his face is always drooping. Pleasant guy though.

I'm not surprised Michael doesn't like Toby. Toby works in a Human Resources role and having worked in HR for a number of years, I can tell you that plenty of managers didn't like the HR person because they sometimes had control over who the manager could or could not hire, to whom they could give promotions or raises, how much of a raise they could give, etc. Also, if the manager would tell a joke that seemed inappropriate, or behave in certain inappropriate ways, the HR person would "counsel" the person, etc.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne;2235513;
    I agree that "sad sack" is perfect to describe Toby. It seems his face is always drooping. Pleasant guy though.

I'm not surprised Michael doesn't like Toby. Toby works in a Human Resources role and having worked in HR for a number of years, I can tell you that plenty of managers didn't like the HR person because they sometimes had control over who the manager could or could not hire, to whom they could give promotions or raises, how much of a raise they could give, etc. Also, if the manager would tell a joke that seemed inappropriate, or behave in certain inappropriate ways, the HR person would "counsel" the person, etc.
    As Toby has done numerous times with Michael, stopping whatever totally harebrained and offensive scenario Michael has come up with, including jokes.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Michael peeing his pants as a kid in that wedding, really explains why he's so damn wacked out when it comes to his love life. Always a bridesmaid.

I laugh so hard watching this show..it's classic.

Dwight and [blonde tightwad/can't remember her name right now] are hysterical!!! She is so loonbin, anything she does just makes me howl! I've worked with a couple of those types in my lifetime. Maybe that's why she makes me snort with laughter, her behaviors and uppity, too good for you attitude is soo damn realistic.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnThis;2230864;
    I haven't read all the posts <<ducking>>, but my only complaint about the show is the occasional "Curb Your Enthusiasm"-level discomfort. Sometimes what Michael or Dwight do or say is so cringe-worthy I just want to sink into the couch. I suppose for the writers, there's a fine line between being true to the character and making the character unwatchable.
    I just have to say that I completely agree with you. Most of the time it's funny, but there are many times it's uncomfortable. I don't know why it affects some people, but not others?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;2237732;
    I don't know why it affects some people, but not others?
    I don't know either. It's the same thing with people who can't watch the first weeks of American Idol because they feel so embarassed for the bad singers, while other relish it for the bad singing. I'll admit that I fall into the first category, so it's sometimes hard for me to watch The Office when Michael is really being an ass.

I do love that they've added more depth to his character. During season 1, he was just kind of a buffoon. Now, he's still a buffoon, but we see why he's that way and it makes him more sympathetic.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

See, I find the uncomfortable moments hilarious; that's why the show is so funny! I guess it depends on your sense of humor.

Where is Andy?
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by babymay;2238642;
    Where is Andy?
    I was wondering that last episode, too. Apparently on the extended cut shown on-line they indicate that Andy is in anger management for a month.

I like the cringe-worthy moments. They were even more prevalent in the British version - they used a lot of awkward silences that seemed to last forever. (I have to say, as an ardent Jim fan, I watched an episode of the British Office a while back, and he seems to have borrowed quite heavily from the actor playing Tim (the British version of Jim) in his mannerisms and such. More so in the first season than now. Whereas Pam seems quite different from Dawn (the British version of Pam)).

Joss Whedon's episode is up this week. Next week is the one directed by JJ Abrams.
    Last edited by CCL; 02-12-2007 at 02:45 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I loved the bouquet toss. It was going straight for Kelly, and Ryan jumped up behind her and knocked it out of the way.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2238730;
    I was wondering that last episode, too. Apparently on the extended cut shown on-line they indicate that Andy is in anger management for a month.
    I hope they show some of that eventually for those of us who do not watch things online. What a goldmine for material!

+ Reply to Thread