+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 135 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office on NBC

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by cadcmmngs;2145493;
    My DVR messed up and it didn't tape. Could someone post a synopsis please? I can't stand that I missed the JAM reunion (no matter how bittersweet and angst filled it seemed to have been). Thanks!
    Well, I'll try (though I won't be nearly as funny. It was a very funny episode!).

The Stamford people came into the branch to start working. Michael had gift bags for them and he had put nametags on their seats in the office. Except for Jim who went for his old seat until Ryan booted him out, so Jim took the seat next to Ryan (with his back to Pam, which she didn't look thrilled at). Dwight wanted Michael to fire someone straight away so that he could show the newcomers who had the power but Michael refused.
    Michael had an integration meeting where he played a video with him & Dwight rapping about Scranton life. The newcomers basically looked confused. He then tried to get all the new people onto a table so that he could show them that they were equal to the Scrantonites (although Karen said shouldn't they be on equal levels then? but Michael quickly shushed her). He also put out food and champagne for them but wouldn't let any of the old staff eat or drink (much to Meredith's dismay). He told them to act like the food was poisoned and sit down. The larger guy (the one Karen helped with the chips in an earlier episode) couldn't get up on the table and asked not to. Michael insisted so Michael and Dwight tried to push him up. The guy quit saying he didn't like Michael's management style but Michael refused to accept this and fired him instead. Jan called him later to complain saying that now they had to pay the guy severance. Michael blamed it on his number two, Dwight (the guy Dwight wanted to fire earlier, based on name alone, was the larger guy). Jan told him that she had sent a memo saying Jim would be the number two. Michael had a meeting with Jim, Dwight & Andy and told them that Jim would be the number two, so now Dwight is jockeying to be number three. Dwight & Andy had a number of funny interactions as they're both trying to suck up to Michael and gain power (Andy is also sucking up to Angela, putting a picture of a cat on his computer as his screensaver. He's sitting at Oscar's desk for now). Other incidents in the office: Karen complained about a smell which she realized was Phyllis' perfume. Phyllis got peeved at that, and that Karen didn't know who Bob Vance was (shouldn't everyone?). One new woman was using a breast pump at her desk and Creed took a picture of her breast to use as his new screensaver. There is also a new black guy (the guy from the Washington Mutual commercials. Yay!) and he tried to bond with Stanley as his fellow "brother," but Stanley was not having it (Michael also helpfully told the guy when showing him to his seat that he would show him where the slaves sat. And he said that Karen looked exotic and asked if her father was a GI. Oh, dear). Michael despaired that people were not getting along so he let the air out of everyone's tires (except his own, of course) and blamed it on Bob Vance's people. Everyone trooped out to see, and then went back in complaining about Michael and, so, bonded in that way. Bob Vance was going to fill their tires so they could get home and Karen said "Ah, Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration." Phyllis looked pleased.
    Jim & Pam moments. He came in and said that his name was Jim and he was new. She got up and hugged him. He said that he was joking and she said she knew but didn't care. Later she walked into the break room and he was getting a water. She asked him why he didn't drink grape soda anymore and said things had changed (Kelly also came up to him earlier to tell him what was new ie that Tom & Katie had a baby and Brad & Angelina had a baby and they were beautiful. He asked what was up with her and she said "I just told you!"). Pam asked him out for coffee so he could tell her all the news but he said he was still settling in etc. Michael walked in and then apologized for interrupting but Jim said he wasn't interrupting anything. When they went out to look at the cars, Jim went out with Karen, and then Karen patted his back when they were going back in. Pam looked a bit stricken. At the end of the episode Jim is getting in his car and gets a phone call from Karen asking him to meet her for a drink. He says yes but tells her he will call her back as he sees Pam going to her car. He says to Pam that it has been awkward but she says it's fine. He says he is seeing someone new and she says he can do what he wants as they are friends.
    Pam & Jim = The only
    Click to see Spoiler:
    bright spot is that I've heard Rashida Jones, who plays Karen, has only been signed for ten episodes. Mind you, they could sign her for more, I guess. And I heard previously that Jim gets a girlfriend who is a bit of a psycho, so maybe Miss Karen has a side we haven't seen!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

It was so funny to see how well Andy sucked up to Michael and Michael didn't know it. He just think he's found a kindred spirit - someone who really appreciates his management style ... and the competition with Dwight - hilarious.

JAM- UGH! The torment goes on ... bleh! She must've thought they would pick up right where they left off but HELLO ... she has NEVER let him know her feelings and he had really opened his heart to her, more than once. I can't blame him for trying to move on. Even in the episode last night she couldn't come out and be direct as well... she just closed off "we're friends." This is too frustrating. (I know it's a show.... )

I see so much potential now in the introduction of these new characters into the Scranton office.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    An addition to CCL's great recap for the JAM lovers... as Karen came in she complimented Pam's sweater (made by her mom...how Pam!) and Pam seemed really pleased...you felt they could be friends, so sad that Jim is going to come between them. I also thought that Jim put his arm on Karen's shoulders rather than vice versa as they went back into the building... anyway, clearly a sign of some intimacy. The Pam actress did a fantastic job of conveying Pam's response as she put two and two together (Jim's rather non-responsiveness not just being twice shy after her rejections, something she could fix, but rather being due to his being otherwise involved); she looked totally stricken, almost ill, as she turned into the cars for a minute to hide her face. So when he told her later he was seeing someone else she already had guessed and didn't respond by conveying how devastated she was, but rather faking the we're just friends, you don't "owe" me telling me that (telling me you no longer love me).
    The only good part of the JAM reunion for JAM fans was Pam's initial hug of him. After that it was all downhill, but fantastic acting... so real and un "sitcom". Dwight and the ice queen's relationship is sitcom. This is like real people caught in a sitcom. I know they have to keep Pam and Jim apart for dramatic reasons but it was painful. And it is clearly not going to be an easy solution as they've made Karen another "real" person, apparently very nice (
    Click to see Spoiler:
    unless those rumors about Jim's stalker ex refer to her, which seems hard to believe at this point--on the cruise episode he did have another girlfriend who was looking to get married--she asked Pam how she got her fiance to propose--maybe it could be her
    ).

I sued to like Ryan until this episode. After Jim didn't fight to ge this old desk back from Ryan, Ryan later told the camera that he knew he would get to keep the desk because Jim is a nce guy...
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;2147318;
    I sued to like Ryan until this episode. After Jim didn't fight to ge this old desk back from Ryan, Ryan later told the camera that he knew he would get to keep the desk because Jim is a nce guy...
    I think maybe it's an indication of Ryan falling into the atmosphere of the office and being influenced by the crazyness of it. Jim keeps sane by pulling pranks on Dwight. Ryan is too businesslike and because he was a temp for so long and now he's a full employee, he's trying to make sure his new status isn't threatened by Jim's return and the new employees from the Stamford branch. I think.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2146075;
    And it is clearly not going to be an easy solution as they've made Karen another "real" person, apparently very nice
    I'm not sure what I think of Karen. And it's not just because she's getting in the way of Jam. My co-viewer says she seems a bit of a cipher, and I agree. At first, when Jim (and the audience) first met her, it seemed like she was going to be a hard-as-nails businesswoman. And then that went away and she turned kind of meek and wishy-washy(Oh, maybe I'll move to New York. Or Scranton. What do you think Jim?). Last week she seemed nice with Pam but her interaction with Phyllis made her seem kind of mean (I understand the whole perfume issue is a common office/life issue, but just the way she acted was kind of off-putting to me). I don't know if that was the intention, or just how it seemed to me. So I don't know exactly what the writers want us to think of her - whether to like her, or no, or just kind of be ambivalent. As for
    Click to see Spoiler:
    her future on the show, I've been told that the actress who plays Karen, Rashida Jones, has a project lined up for next fall with Paul Reiser, which lends further credence to the notion that she will not be a long-time employee at the Scranton office.

As for Ryan, I don't think he was being mean to Jim. That's his desk now. He's sat there for a while. He knew that if he held tough Jim would back down, because that's how Jim is (he's a nice guy, as Ryan said). Maybe Ryan just likes that desk - better having Dwight to the side of you then having to face him head-on like Jim has to now!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I don't think Karen meant to be mean to Phyllis... I think she really thought her desk was on top of one of those room deorderizers because of the pine scent... I mean who expects perfume to be pine scented? And she was nice about Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration later....
    I agree she seemed more businesslike at first, but later we were seeing her as someone with a crush on Jim...she was trying to see if he would urge her to follow him.... So not a professional issue then. Yes, it would be nice if she thought of her career as well as whether the hot guy would be in her office, but guess she figures whatever she does for them she could just as easily do elsewhere...that she's employable, so she'd rather do it where Jim is.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2145545;
    Well, I'll try (though I won't be nearly as funny. It was a very funny episode!).

Thank you, what a GREAT recap! I can't wait till they run it in repeats. I don't know how I'll stand the chill between Jim and Pam, now that they're in the same office.

CCL
    New episode this week. This episode was written by Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais who created The Office (in its original UK form). So it should be cool. I have a brief episode summary which I will put in spoilers (though it is not at all spoiler-y but some people don't like to have any details so...).

Click to see Spoiler:
    In this episode, Michael finds out that one of the Stamford employees has a criminal past. Also, this is the episode where Andy tries to hook up with Pam.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2159307;
    New episode this week.

Except for those of us in Cincinnati. We get the Bengals game instead (GO BENGALS!). Now I have to figure out when the local station will show the Thursday shows (and Scrubs is back, too!).

+ Reply to Thread