+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office on NBC

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I actually like MrDobolina's idea of not doing a remake so much as a sort of spin-off--though I doubt any Hollywood execs would be as clever as MrDob. Why couldn't they do something like that, something inspired by the original series, but not so much a direct copy.
    I can't take credit for that idea....it was my friend's idea. Really, that is the big problem with the Americanized version of The Office. They are re-hashing the exact same plots, and even dialogue if I understand correctly. And I have to imagine that an office environment in Britain is NOT the same as an office environment in America. Not that they are all that different, but come on, we speak the same language, but in noticably different ways.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

The thing that bothers me the most about poorly-executed American rip-offs of great international shows is that there is a large population of American viewers who think the show idea was a bad original idea, not a bad "borrowed" idea - they don't realize the show could be done well.
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I can't take credit for that idea....it was my friend's idea. Really, that is the big problem with the Americanized version of The Office. They are re-hashing the exact same plots, and even dialogue if I understand correctly. And I have to imagine that an office environment in Britain is NOT the same as an office environment in America. Not that they are all that different, but come on, we speak the same language, but in noticably different ways.
    I'm amazed that the US have made this series. Yes, it was a big hit in Britain, but lots of people, me included, just didn't get it. I suppose it's because I don't work in a commercial office environment, I don't know.

Interestingly BBC shows are publically funded so don't necessarily have to "chase" ratings, so there is a lot of scope for more innovative TV, especially in comedy, some works and some doesn't.

Current faves are sketch show Little Britain and Phoenix nights, which are so specifically British that they couldn't be remade in the US. Mind you if anyone out there is a Little Britain fan, wouldn't some of the US equivalents of Daffyd, Vicki Pollard and Sebastian be very funny and very cruel!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Belfastgirl - Little Britain is funny, but I have to say that I miss being able to watch Father Ted. I that show!
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

The first two times I watched the original office I hated it.

Then I saw an interview with the creators, and realized its supposed to have akward and tedious moments. That its not a 'sit-com' with jokes and punchline.

Once I got over that I really enjoyed it.

With that said, there is no way it will work here in the US. Look at the sit-com crap wasteland we have now. They have to turn it into a 'tradional' (ie american ie crap) show to get it on the air. Heck the orginal show didn't have a live audience or a laugh track.

Why bother.....

I saw slightly longer trailer for this last night and I have to say I fear the worst.
    They showed the scene where Tim had set Gareth's stapler into the yellow jelly and it was pretty much word for word as I remember the scene... except it wasn't funny.

I haven't seen any previews for this "Americanized" version.....is there going to be a LAUGH TRACK??????
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I agree that the American version of Coupling was nothing less than a crime against humanity.

I just don't think that an American version of The Office will translate well, for lack of a better term, if all the American "creators" are going to do is transplant the damn thing from Britain to the US and give it an American cast. The office cultures are different, for one thing, which is why I like MrDob's idea of an entirely original American office.

As for other Britain-to-US shows that have been disastrous, anyone remember Men Behaving Badly? God have mercy on my soul...!
    Last edited by phat32; 03-07-2005 at 01:59 PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

FORT Fanatic
    I"m a huge Office fan. I can't see an American success here though.

American humour (coming from a Cdn perspective) is completely different than British humour. I don't think American censors would allow many of the same jokes as the British version.

And the characters in the original office actually exist in England...my uncle is exactly like Ricky Gervais. Sad but true and extremely funny now we can call him David.

The clip I saw tried to stay true but I can not see the American version taking the piss out a National Guard person (some of the best scenes were Garth and his Territorial Army responses) or waving a birthday dildo around in front of the staff. No chance.

But I'll watch the first episode.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I haven't seen any previews for this "Americanized" version.....is there going to be a LAUGH TRACK??????
    Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pray to God not. Although American audiences apparently need help to know when things are funny--witness the untimely demise of brilliant, laugh-track-free Arrested Development.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread