+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 135 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office on NBC

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I just watched the tape of the dream crushing episode. I think CCL is right on on why it is difficult for this to translate to the US. Another variable in this version tho is that I think Roy realizes that if she does this he will lose her--she won't be "just" a receptionist anymore, and his social equal, she'll have started moving up, as one can more easily in the US. So what's in it for him to encourage her?
    I've heard a lot of similar stories re women who go back to college when their spouse/friends don't. Friends who drop you when you start using "big" words, a wife who had to hide her typewriter in the oven (the one place her husband would never look ) so that her husband wouldn't break it to prevent her from finishing papers on time (she got her BA and left him, big surprise). Not that all friends/husbands are like that, but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
    I cannot imagine what she sees in that fat loser. I think the show needs to explain that better. The way she threw away her chance at moving up the corporate ladder hints at very low self-esteem or some other problem, but they need to address it.
    I think this was explained on the episode of the Booze Cruise (albeit subtly).

Roy and her were high school sweethearts (he was a football player so it was probably a pretty big deal to her at that time). They've been "engaged" for years (she has a ring, but he never wanted to set a date). Neither one had a college education so each had to find full-time jobs right out of high school (him-warehouse, her-receptionist).

He got drunk on the Booze Cruise, set a date, and since she's been in the "engaged" rut though her high school/young adult life, thought "Great! Finally!"

I think (hope!) she'll realize that what she's been wanting is really not what she wants. Classic dilemma for those in their 20s.

Can't wait for the Jim/Pam hookup!

Great insights by everyone. I too would love to see Jim and Pam at least try to hook up. Roy isn't a big fat useless :pig at all. He's just very plain and simple in what he wants and does in life. Jim is somewhat opposite of that. More educated, skilled, and has places to go and dreams. That's why the attraction.

I had to laugh with the "gifted" Phyllis. Ain't that the truth on Valentines Day! Good for her! In any office I've worked at it's a huge deal who gets what delivered in front of everyone. My my my, everyone becomes like little children, giggling and pointing. And poor Pam who really would like something but doesn't get anything. Don't men know that even though you SAY you don't want anything big, doesn't mean you don't want ANYTHING at all! Just a little something goes a long way.

I don't get the Dwight and Angela attraction but maybe that's the point? . And Jan sure blew it when Michael got it together for her. Sheesh.

I don't think we have a Sbarro up here. I guess from your comments it would be similar to our Boston Pizza.

Hope y'all get something really nice from YOUR refrigeration guy when you get home on Valentines Day!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Finally the indian girl had some personality recently,

I found it funny when she was talking and talking a mile a minute and Jim was trying to get out of the kitchen room. Then she's talking to Jim about Ryan, he comes in and she confronts him about their hook up and Jim says under his breath ("not with me here") and then stares off at the "documentary" camera as he is present during the awkward conversation.

Jim is the only sane person there it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by a_canuck_01 View Post
    Finally the indian girl had some personality recently,
    Drawing a blank ... but isn't her name Holly? Sorry if I'm wrong.

Isn't she just embarrassingly hilarious as a completely uninhibited chatterbox? I know people like this - who totally miss all the body language and cues that you are trying to get away or NOT available at the moment for mindless chatter ....

From today's tvguide.com: NBC's The Office, which was originally slated to air its season finale on March 30 as boss man Steve Carell breaks away to film Evan Almighty instead will extend its sophomore run to May 11, using a combo of repeats and one additional new episode.

Quote Originally Posted by NiceShoes View Post
    Drawing a blank ... but isn't her name Holly? Sorry if I'm wrong.
    It's Kelly.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    It's Kelly.
    Oooooooppppps!

Assistant Regional Mngr. Dwight_Schrute's Avatar
    Like the rest of you all, I really dig this show. I am glad to see that the ratings for the show have caught up with what is becoming cult following for the show. I was a late adopter to it, so I had to go out and buy the first season the other day.

I, for one, hope that they do not end up having Jim and Pam hook-up. If the writers do, it could the biggest disaster for a show since David and Maddie hooked up on Moonlighting.

Tonight was so good. Loved the "alliance" formed by Jim and Dwight. And the reverse psychology that landed Dwight in a box. Too funny. Did you catch that when Jim was first telling Pam about the alliance, he referred to Survivor but also said something like they might even build a fort!? I, of course, immediately thought FoRT. As in here! I gotta get out more!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread