+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Office on NBC

Re: The Office on NBC

I don't think I so much as smiled during tonight's show. Two clunkers in a row.

FORT Fanatic

I keep giving this show a chance and I keep getting disappointed. I think I'm done with this show. It's just off..I can't put my finger on it.. yes, I can, it's the pregnancy..it killed the show.

RIP The Office

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;3739641;
    I keep giving this show a chance and I keep getting disappointed. I think I'm done with this show. It's just off..I can't put my finger on it.. yes, I can, it's the pregnancy..it killed the show.

RIP The Office
    Oh, I think it's been circling the drain for a lot more time than the last few months when Pam has been pregnant. It's been really inconsistent for two plus seasons.

In fact, I'd say the show had one great season, one good one and it's been a mixed bag other than that. This show, in particular, falls flat when the writers are trying too hard.

The Halloween party at the beginning was great. We thought "dick in a box" was hilarious on SNL but never would have thought to make a costume out of it, lol.

I am liking how Jim is learning to appreciate Michael more now with his new job. And it was nice how Pam decided to help Andy.

I still love the little moments of this show. Creed saying "You're paying too much for your worms, who's your worm guy?" made me guffaw.

I do miss the old Jim, the one who didn't give a crap about his job. He would never have made the comment at the beginning of the show about "how their used to be a productive paper company on this site."

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3740134;

I do miss the old Jim, the one who didn't give a crap about his job. He would never have made the comment at the beginning of the show about "how their used to be a productive paper company on this site."
    I think this is what killed it more than the pregnancy stuff. It used to be about seeing the crazy workplace personalities through the eyes of someone fairly normal. Now Jim has to be responsible and see things from both sides. Boring.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'm glad they are letting him grow up. Hope the viewers can go along with it. He was an obnoxious prankster before, but now he is more "normal" in that he is beginning to see responsibilities from the boss' perspective.

I still think no company would promote him to his own branch, especially where his wife works. That is a conflict of interest too huge to ignore if it were real life.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I agree that the show is slipping. I prefer watching the older shows that are on every day. I actually laugh at those....where now I just feel bad - for Andy and him kissing Pam's belly? What? Jim getting the promotion inside the office? And Pam being in sales is a bit of a stretch for me. I totally agree that this has jumped the shark. And that's too bad, it used to be so good.

Although, I don't understand the conflict of interest aspect. I've worked in firms (law firms, not paper suppliers) where husbands and wives worked in the same firm. Even after having met there, dated there, and then marrying - there seemed to be no issues. And not just once, there were several couples. What interest is conflicted?

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3740399;
    Although, I don't understand the conflict of interest aspect. I've worked in firms (law firms, not paper suppliers) where husbands and wives worked in the same firm. Even after having met there, dated there, and then marrying - there seemed to be no issues. And not just once, there were several couples. What interest is conflicted?
    For me, the conflict is that they're not merely married co-workers. Jim is Pam's boss. There was already a problem when Jim and Michael had to decide if some of the employees would get a raise while others didn't and Jim wanted sales to get it. The other staff complained because Pam was part of sales and they thought he was showing favoritism. Being her boss can cause all kinds of issues in the workplace. And the way Pam talked to Michael at work because he was dating her mother was not cool. Her attitude could have been emboldened because Jim was co-manager. But all that being said, I know it's just a show and not real life. No way could I ever put up with someone like Michael every day .
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I agree that the pregnancy and Jim's promotion have brought the show down recently, but what started the slide for me is the slow elimination of time spent with other characters in the office. Obviously, there can't always be a focus on one of them, but there's no balance any more. It's now usually about Michael, Jim & Pam and Character X...someone who cycles up from the rest of the cast for the episode. This week it was Andy, last week Dwight. Oscar, Stanley, Meredith, Angela, Kelly, Creed, Toby....they may get a line or two (which is often the funniest thing in the show) but that's it. The webisodes with these characters are so much better than the actual series.

+ Reply to Thread