+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: NUMB3Rs (CBS)

Thanks Astrogirl, but I saw that one. I guess I'll catch it in re-runs. That is if CBS doesn't pull the plug or something stupid like that.

Ah, you want the one about the kidnapped girl and her math wiz father who is pegged for ransom. That's about all I can remember. *nudges Astrogirl for recap*
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Oh, that one. Okay. Basically, the daugther of a mathematician is kidnapped. The mathematician is close to solving the Riemann hypothesis, which is a famous mathematical problem. The solution to this problem will enable the mathematician to generate an algorithm that can break codes. The kidnappers want these algorithms. The team at the FBI figures out that what they want to do is to break into a place where the new federal interest rates are hidden so they can make lots of money in the stock market. One of the kidnappers is another mathematician who works at a scientific journal, and who has seen the Riemann work that the first mathematician has done. Charlie tries to help the mathematician generate the algorithms, but it turns out that the proof of Riemann hypothesis do not hold up, so they can't do it. However, they cleverly generate an algorithm which will only open the documents the criminals are looking for (federal interest rates). Once the criminals break in, they follow them back and find where they are logged on from, and they arrest everyone and the girl is safe.

A little trivia: in the movie "A beautiful mind" John Nash is working on Riemann for a long time (after he has been sick and returned to the university, in the library where he writes on the windows). The same Riemann is responsible for the math used to describe the curvature of spacetime, i.e. gravity, which is what I work on.

Astrogirl, got a recap for this past Friday? They had college basketball on here. AAARGH :phhht

Thanks for the kidnap epi recap!

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Well, I've only seen part of the first episode and then the forgery one last Friday, but I'm liking this show. Very interesting how the math whiz explains his equations - like when he had everyone stand "randomly" and then showed them how they we all equal distances apart, and tossing the paperclips on the floor to show how dispersal of forged bills can be calculated back to their starting point. Plus, I like math nerds

Since Monk went BLAH for me with the change in cast members, I'm glad that I've found a new Friday night guilty pleasure.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Is anyone watching this show? I Tivo it and catch it when I can. But where the heck is Sabrina Lloyd? She's been missing and she's my favorite.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I TIVO it and I like it, not sure about the girl though I have a few episodes to catch up on before TIVO gets all pissy about needing more space.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFan
    Is anyone watching this show? I Tivo it and catch it when I can. But where the heck is Sabrina Lloyd? She's been missing and she's my favorite.
    Is Sabrina the grad student or whatever that was assisting our mathmatician hero from time to time?

I'm forgetting the specifics, but she indicated she was taking another position, with one heavily implied (if not overtly expressed) benefit being that she and math guy wouldn't have a professional relationship any longer, opening the possibility of having another type of relationship

I kind of forgot about her, and I'm wondering whether math guy has as well, considering the attraction (if only in my mind) he seemed to be directing at that female Highway Patrol officer who was already taken.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Sabrina is the female FBI gal that plays like the 2nd in command or whatever to Epps. (she was on Sliders and that great comedy Sports Night)

"They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Thanks for the memory nudge, BravoFan. I wouldn't mind seeing Sabrina again, but it won't surprise me if she's been quietly tweaked out of the series. I'd begun to wonder whether they were showing McNichols the door in that fashion before he reappeared over the last couple of episodes.

+ Reply to Thread