+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NUMB3Rs (CBS)

How obvious was it that our math hero would be the one to buy his dads house? Only two things seem strange to me, first that he would have the liquid resources to purchase with cash, forgoing a mortgage on a house that has to be worth at least three quarters of a million dollars; and second that dad, having made sense about the two of them moving on with their own lives; turning on a dime and deciding to remain, as if cashing in was the only consideration he'd had that made selling a good idea.

Once FBI bro started speaking about how great his apartment or condo is, I started comparing images of some sterile new place, or the fantastic piece of art home with all the great built-ins. I'm sure glad academia is so well paying (along with consulting); that house is one of the primary attractive elements related to this show, cranky furnace and all.

I agree Leftcoaster. The whole sideplot was kind of hokey.

I did enjoy the main plot with the kidnappers though. I'm a total stooge at mathmatics so I always giggle when people start talking all math-y like.

p.s. was that Doogie Howser as the dad? I looked for the name in the credits but didn't see it.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I didn't guess Doogie, speedbump, but now that you've mentioned him at least I can visualize someone specific, and there is a resemblence, isn't there? All I was left with while looking at the dad was the feeling that I'd seen him around, but I couldn't put any names to the face, other than that he had minor similarities to me to Randy Travis, perhaps in the mouth and forehead, though they couldn't be considered all that similar side by side.

The mathy portion of the show seemed secondary this episode, I had to be impressed that our whiz kid (man, 30) was as impressed as he was. I'd heard of the million dollar incentives, but this is the first time I've heard one of the theories portrayed in a storyline.

The thing that I liked the most was the tech part about creating a falsified key for the treasury site once they (luckily) made the right assumption of what the target would be. They also got lucky that the bad guys had manufactured their own supercomputer (which I find difficult to believe) rather than assembling a network of PC's, allowing them to track through Freon purchases. They spoke of them buying a bunch of computers, but I was under the impression that you could build the same capability just by hijacking unprotected computers that others held.

Yup, that was Doogie. (Neil Patrick Harris) Hardly looks any older than he did when he played Doogie Howser. Did anybody catch him in the movie "Starship Troopers?" He totally cracked me up.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I got quite a laugh out of Friday's episode. Not only was it 'Doogie", but the actor who plays the mathematician brother played Doogies nerdy best friend on the series. Although Doogie looks the same, the math genious is looking muuuuuch better as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound
    I got quite a laugh out of Friday's episode. Not only was it 'Doogie", but the actor who plays the mathematician brother played Doogies nerdy best friend on the series. Although Doogie looks the same, the math genious is looking muuuuuch better as an adult.
    Whoops! Wrong guy, I got him confused with Max Casella

I forgot to record Friday's episode. Can anybody recap it for me? I was so involved in the Third Watch/Medical Investigation crossover episodes that I forgot to record Numbers.

FORT Newbie

Re

Numb3rs is so cool I love this show. I have even made a site about it. The url is in my signature lol. Check it out, and let me know what you think. There are screen caps on there too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Swingsongbird
    I forgot to record Friday's episode. Can anybody recap it for me? I was so involved in the Third Watch/Medical Investigation crossover episodes that I forgot to record Numbers.
    *sigh* same here Swingsongbird.. I hope someone has the time for a mini-cap
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Which episode? I've watched them, so maybe I could give an synopsis. Is it the train one? In that one a train saboteur leaves a sheet full on numbers at the site of each train wreck he causes. All wrecks are imitations of wrecks that have already occured. It turns out that the numbers are not a code, but rather a list of numbers describing one particular accident, in which the saboteur was responsible. He was supposedly dead on the scene, but it turns out he is not. The reason why he is doing it is that he believes the train company is not maintaining the trains as they should be, and mechanical failures cause the wrecks. They find him while he is trying to imitate the accident he was in himself. At the end of the episode Charlie tries to ask out his grad student, but get's interrupted, and I guess we'll hear more about that in tonights episode. Also the professor has a sexual encounter with an old friend and spends most of the episode hiding from her because the laws of probability says that it will enver be as good again, but at the end the grad student convinces him that according to game theory the person who risks the most, gets rewarded the most.

+ Reply to Thread