+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: NUMB3Rs (CBS)

I like this show, but it irritates me that they don't explain the math better. What I like about CSI is that they actually explain the science. In this show they just show some fancy graphics. I know most people think math is hard. But so is forensic science, and after watching CSI I feel like an expert. Not so with NUMB3RS, and I work with modelling highly complicated equations every day.

I've watched both episodes and will keep watching. So far so good.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

astro we all have our fortÚs- math doesn't happen to be one of mine. If they went into detail with the equations my eyes would glaze over and they would lose me as a viewer. As a scientist you see numbers and they dance into understanding for you, for me.. its just a bunch of squiggles and letters where numbers should be.
    There is just enough math for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    astro we all have our fortÚs- math doesn't happen to be one of mine. If they went into detail with the equations my eyes would glaze over and they would lose me as a viewer. As a scientist you see numbers and they dance into understanding for you, for me.. its just a bunch of squiggles and letters where numbers should be.
    There is just enough math for me.
    I see your point. However, I don't think math is easily explained. I think it takes a lot of work untill you get to the point where math is entertaining (and it can be). I don't think this show will be as sucessful as CSI for that reason. When I have watched CSI I feel ready to enter the lab and analyze DNA and solve crimes. Ofcourse, I can't do that, because I have no training, but I feel smart. There are commercials on Spike TV for CSI when they show a victim of a crime explaining all the things that the criminal is doing wrong.

This show doesn't make anyone feel like they can solve crimes in the same way as the main characters are doing. That's why I don't think it is on the same level as CSI. However, I still like to watch. It just irritates me that the show doesn't make me feel like I learned something.

I think that's funny though.. I certainly didn't tune in because I thought I'd learn math. God, I WISH I could do any type of advanced math... it's fascinating to me, but in my opinion the show talks about it just enough to make it interesting

I will continue to watch, I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I adore everyone in it.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I agree cali - it's a great ensemble cast. And I'm afraid too much math might turn me off.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Regular
    I think astro isn't necessarily saying that there should be MORE math on the show. I think the point she is making is that pretty much all the math, other than some fancy graphics, is just behind the scenes and that isn't a good thing. For example, we have no idea what equation the character created to calculate where the bank robbers would show up next. We were just told he did it. In CSI, you are pretty much shown everything they do in order to solve crimes and that's pretty cool. It makes you want to be a forensic scientist, while I doubt anyone will want to be a mathematician by watching this sow.

I agree that if you a connecting the two shows and comparing them as equals that this could be a hindrance to the success of the show. If you accept Numb3rs as something different than CSI and just go along for the ride, then I think it's a pretty good show that will do well.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack
    I think astro isn't necessarily saying that there should be MORE math on the show. I think the point she is making is that pretty much all the math, other than some fancy graphics, is just behind the scenes and that isn't a good thing. For example, we have no idea what equation the character created to calculate where the bank robbers would show up next. We were just told he did it. In CSI, you are pretty much shown everything they do in order to solve crimes and that's pretty cool. It makes you want to be a forensic scientist, while I doubt anyone will want to be a mathematician by watching this sow.
    Yeah, thats exactly my point. I don't think you can make math entertaining in the same way as the make the science entertaining in CSI. That's why CSI is such a groudbreaking detective show.

Now, personally, I might be able to understand the math if it was explained better, but I realize that I am the exception in that area.

I agree that if you a connecting the two shows and comparing them as equals that this could be a hindrance to the success of the show. If you accept Numb3rs as something different than CSI and just go along for the ride, then I think it's a pretty good show that will do well.
    Yeah, I think the show is pretty good. But I think the producers try to be CSI-like, and they fail miserable. I will keep watching, I am not that annoyed

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    In fact it may discourage people from math since the mathy brother is shown as being a little "off".

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    In fact it may discourage people from math since the mathy brother is shown as being a little "off".
    Trust me, regular mathematicians are too. If someone visits a math department before he/she choses the career they will know what type of persons are there. Ofcourse, they'd say the same about physicists

+ Reply to Thread