+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: NUMB3Rs (CBS)

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Thank you for clarifying!!!

FORT Fanatic
    actually amita was never just a student. when i hear student i assume undergrad. i believe she was a grad student. or not even that anymore. i think she's going for her doctoralship. since she's working on her thesis or dissertation. charlie was her thesis advisor or something like that in the past.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by bell;2148608;
    actually amita was never just a student. when i hear student i assume undergrad. i believe she was a grad student. or not even that anymore. i think she's going for her doctoralship. since she's working on her thesis or dissertation. charlie was her thesis advisor or something like that in the past.
    Well, if she's an asst. prof. now I certainly hope she's finished her dissertation and has her Ph.D., or this isn't that great a school. Usually in a high powered science school, like Cal Tech, which this school is supposed to be like, faculty would not only have their Ph.D.s they would have done post doctoral work (as "post docs") before becoming faculty members.
    A grad student can either be working on their Masters degree (MA or MS) or Ph.D., with Ph.D. being the higher degree. Sometimes you get an MA along the way to a Ph.D., but at a high powered school you often just go straight from BA to Ph.D. The big difference between the MA and the PhD is the dissertation. While in some schools you might do a MA thesis the PhD thesis (dissertation) is a much bigger deal. And some schools don't even require a thesis for an MA. The number of courses you take for an MA and a PhD are not that different, although if you are in a purely MA program, that doesn't go any further than the MA, the courses might not be as difficult as those in a purely PhD program.
    And if she's now an asst. prof. she should be setting up her own research program not being a gofer for either the dept chair or Charlie. A collaborator of equal weight, ok, but that's not the impression I'm getting of her role in their research projects.
    ETA ok, I feel like a nurse criticizing ER for the unrealistic medicine...gotta let it go!!

Millie refered to Amita as Dr. Whateverherlastnameis so it's probably safe to say that she has earned her Ph.D.
    It was nice to see the makeout session between Charlie and Amita - nice that they are finally getting comfortable.
    Millie is certainly formidable!
    I laughed my butt off too when Amita was teasing Charlie about Millie becoming his stepmother.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Ok Friday night revealed that Larry will be going into space on a shuttle and that is why he's been living here and there for months, preparing to leave for 6 months he has gotten rid of most possessions, house, etc. That makes more sense.
    The whole Amita and Charlie thing is getting old. Maybe we shouldn't be together, then major make out session after Charlie realizes he may lose her.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fanatic

Re: NUMB3Rs (CBS)

That was an interesting finale. It left the door open for new agents next year, yet it took away one that I liked (though it was a unique way to do so!). Anyone else watch?

CEO

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2403680;
    That was an interesting finale. It left the door open for new agents next year, yet it took away one that I liked (though it was a unique way to do so!). Anyone else watch?
    I was definitely interesting and different and without the usual 'cliffhanger' to just make us mad. I still HATE CBS, though.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was disappointed we didn't learn anything about Megan's mystery assignment. I read spoilers that we would find out once she came back something shocking about why she's been gone. Maybe they decided to put it on hold until next season. Or maybe she decided to leave the show so they rewrote her part in the finale. Her last line was "I can't do this anymore" so maybe the actress decided not to come back (to spend time with her new baby which is why she was really gone).

I hope Kathy Naminjy (sp?) will be back. She has great chemistry with all the characters and I think there's room on the show for both her and Larry (unless he decides to stay living in a monastery ).

I couldn't believe that Colby was a spy. It seemed to come out of nowhere or if it didn't, I sure missed the signs. I really liked him so it's too bad that I don't see him coming back at all. Overall though, it was a really decent finale.

FORT Fanatic

Throughout this season they dropped little hints about Colby. And there was that episode with the ex-army friend that was in prison that eluded Colby wasn't who they thought he was. But even with that I didn't clue in until Charlie was listening to the Janus list.

I like Numb3rs but this season didn't hold me like the first season did. Suspending belief usually isn't an issue but would the FBI really be relying on a mathematician to solve so many of their cases? And would a mathematician be a genius with every type of math? And why is it if Charlie's a genius he needs Amida, Larry, his dad and now Don to help him find the angle to solve equations he apparently invented or revolutionized?

+ Reply to Thread