+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

Battlestar Galactica

Premiers 01/14/2005 at 7pm on SciFi
    (They re-aired the mini last Saturday on NBC and tonight on SciFi, just in case anyone wants to get the full story)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314979/plotsummary

In a distant galaxy lie The Twelve Colonies of Man, a civilization that has been at peace for some forty years with an empire of machines, the Cylons, who were created generations before as worker drones for mankind, but became independent, rose in rebellion, and launched war on their masters. Now, the Cylons have evolved into more human form, into machine-created biological beings, who seek to exterminate true biological humans. To this end they use a human scientist, Gaius, to help one of their infiltrators, known as #6, penetrate the Colonies' master defense mainframes; Gaius is reluctant but smitten by #6, a Cylon woman of seemingly insatiable sexual desire, and the result of their affair is a nuclear sneak-attack that obliterates the Colonies and the star navy deployed for their protection. One ship, however, survives, an obsolete battlestar known as the Galactica; scheduled for decommisioning, the Galactica instead must lead 50,000 surviving humans on a quest for a new homeworld, where they must bear children to rebuild their race. First, however, the Galactica must lead surviving ships of the Colonies to a weapons deployment base within a spatial storm, a rendezvous that leaves them trapped when two Cylon base stars track them down and open fire.

What's TVGuide.com say:

33/Water

The premier finds Adama (Edward James Olmos), President Roslin (Mary MacDonald), and the ragtag fleet embark on new voyages in riveting back to back tales that pick up from where 2003's mini left off. Old-School Galactica buffs may scoff at the revival (Sawbuck's a woman?) but so what? This series complex plots, deft acting, and stark cinematography are light years beyond ABC's 1978-80 original. In the opener, Cylon infiltration impels Adam to take ruthless action against a passenger ship. Later, an amnesiac Boomer (Grace Park) fears she has some how turned saboteur after an explosion drains the water supply.
    I thought that I would just put this out there, see if it floats. I loved the original series as a kid, and really enjoyed the mini-series last year. I know that there are many who thought the re-imagining was heresy, but I liked it. Having considerably more backstory and character development makes the story much more realistic.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I was a total Battlestar Galactica fan when the original series and made-for-tv movies aired in the 70's. Galactica 1980 wasn't so good, though I did watch it.

I tried to watch that thing they aired last year that they called Battlestar Galactica, and I couldn't even watch more than half an hour of it. That, imho, was horrible and shouldn't have been allowed to ruin the Battlestar Galactica name. I've seen remakes of series that bore little resemmblance to the originals, but this was a travesty to end all travesties. Like they set out on purpose to destroy all that defined BSG and it's characters.

I like Edward James Olmos, but this did him no justice, not to mention the butchering they did of the original Adama's character from the books and the original series. And there was nothing at all in the remake that honored anything from the original. It was a complete and horrible bad joke. Needless to say, I certainly won't be watching it again.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I watched it--also a fan of the original, but never saw the remakes--it was ok. The Starbuck charactor is actually good--a female with a lot of the charactoristics of the original in a believable Hilary Swank kind of way.
    Was Boomer the Asian woman pilot? Question
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I thought she turned out to be a Cylon at the end of the first show--so how can she be amnesiac about the sabotage?
    Just in case anyone hasn't seen the intro episode yet.

My take on the "Question" [[It was left to us to wonder whether she was a Cylon or if they had modeled a New Cylon on her. If she is the original, she would wonder if she had been brainwashed in to sabotage, or whether she is human at all. It is something that I'm sure will be explored in the series. ]]

So, is this going to be a regular series? Or are they just re-showing the mini-series to get more exposure/ad time??
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

The Mini-Series re-aires tonight and tomorrow, the new series starts on friday. The series has already been airing in the UK, and has gotten some really good reviews. SciFi is also showing the original series this week during it's morning programming.

I also enjoyed the original series and have mixed feelings about the new version. I rarely find "updated" versions to be as good the original.

I'll give this one a chance, but I feel it may be too dark for my taste over the long run. Good drama needs comic relief to succeed. Even MacBeth had his three witches.

I think the Starbuck character may provide this, but if not, I doubt I'll be watching.

FORT Fan
    I will watch!... just to see what it's like. I never watched the original, and I found the miniseries to be okay. After years of watching Star Trek shows, I figure I'll give a different sci-fi show a spin. We'll see if it's any good.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    My take on the "Question" [[It was left to us to wonder whether she was a Cylon or if they had modeled a New Cylon on her. If she is the original, she would wonder if she had been brainwashed in to sabotage, or whether she is human at all. It is something that I'm sure will be explored in the series. ]]
    Good idea, Chorita KaBoom--wouldn't have thought of that!

Don't like it.

I too was and still is a big fan of the original when I was little had the big Adama action figure. I still don't know why they have to change Starbuck and Boone into women that was stupid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast