+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Medium

Re: Medium (NBC)

OH don't get me wrong, I know she was being a big whiney baby, what I was pointing out was her inital reaction was OMG no!
    You know how you try to remain calm but your brain is screaming "NOoooo" She didn't censor herself. I totally agree that she needs a kick in the pants there are so many reasons for Joe to take the job as opposed to not taking the job.

I wonder if Allison will ever write a book like the real Allison Dubois did? That might be interesting. Her announcing that she has to do a book tour, Joe's reaction to that (he would be her cheerleader I'm sure).
    Closet, it's funny to me too, being semi-fictional doesn't stop me from feeling emotions for them. They are just such relatable characters!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Wryle;3460360;
    I see your point, Duxxy, but I think she was over-reacting. To go from Joe losing his job and looking for a lawyer to get a decent settlement - to the company bending over backward to keep Joe on, and not have any appreciation? This invention was Joe's baby. I think she would understand his desire to see it through. And does she not remember how, not too long ago, they were about to lose everything because Joe couldn't find a job?

I've been where she is. When my husband started his job a couple of years ago, he would leave on Monday and come home on Thursday about 3 weeks out of each month. It was difficult, but we made it work. My oldest was about Marie's age, and I didn't have a teenager living with me to help out. It was lonely, and I don't sleep well when my husband is away, but we made the time he was home count more. And the kids loved saying goodnight to Daddy on the phone every night.

I know it is just a show, but their relationship seems so normal/relatable. I just got frustrated with her, IMO, irrational reaction.
    I think she totally overreacted and was extremely selfish as well. What is more detrimental to your kids' development: move to another city and school or be deprived of your Dad for half of the week? Seriously!!! It's a no brainer! It's not like they even have family in Phoenix. To use an example: my sister. It would be hard if this were because all of our family lives close to each other and we're extremely tight knit. My sister and her kids see my parents and her husband's mom everyday and me at least two or three times a week (I babysit every Tuesday Night and hang out other times as well. I'm sort of like "Aunt Jackie" from Roseanne ) and see my grandparents nearly everyday as well (especially now since my Papa has dementia and we're just hoping he makes it to his 90th birthday on June 4 but it could be any day now ). Even if it were difficult to be away from family my sister would totally do it if it meant supporting her husband's career.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

But, doesn't Alison have a career as well? I asked before, since I've missed several episodes... did she leave the police dept.? I would think it would be hard to get the in she has now with a new dept. in a new city, given what her "talents" are.
    ETA...NOT saying she was right to object to her husband taking the job, just wondering if she has some professional issues as well as the personal ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3467826;
    But, doesn't Alison have a career as well? I asked before, since I've missed several episodes... did she leave the police dept.? I would think it would be hard to get the in she has now with a new dept. in a new city, given what her "talents" are.
    ETA...NOT saying she was right to object to her husband taking the job, just wondering if she has some professional issues as well as the personal ones.
    Well you know none of that matters. It is always the woman's place to leave her life and/or career to favour her husband's career. Any women who doesn't voluntarily forsake her existing life in order to keep the husband happy without making an issue of it is a selfish shrew.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3467826;
    She left because she was given an "offer she couldn't refuse" by a big corporation. However, it turned out that the boss had an ulterior motive: he suspected his son had been involved in a string of crimes and since Alison had signed a contract with him she was contractually bound to NOT tell the police when she discovered the truth about the son.

In the end she was able to get out of the contract and go back to working for the District Attorney's office.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thanks for updating me! I got to watch last night, where she was clearly back with the DA....and they were going through their first week of daddy being away. I thought the reaction to the what the middle daughter did with the car (most of which we don't see) was a little mild--the issue isn't the car damage, the issue is she could have easily KILLED her little sister and herself--she wasn't even strapped in!
    For some reason everyone else has had their season finale and Medium's isn't until next week, wonder why.
    Hopefully one of these days they will rerun the discussion of what to do about his job offer so I can see it for myself...but apropos Rattus's point and mine, when Alison was being unhappy about the job offer were her only complaints about it about how it would disrupt the kids' lives if they moved? She never mentioned how it would disrupt her career? I ask because the posters here only mention the school changing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3469211;
    She never mentioned how it would disrupt her career? I ask because the posters here only mention the school changing issue.
    I believe she did mention something about how it wouldn't exactly be easy for her to find another position like the one she is in. Also, the guy who hired Joe said that their company had lots of good connections and that they could help her find another position if they had decided to move.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3469211;
    I thought the reaction to the what the middle daughter did with the car (most of which we don't see) was a little mild--the issue isn't the car damage, the issue is she could have easily KILLED her little sister and herself--she wasn't even strapped in!
    I thought it was a little mild also. Am I crazy or did they say Bridget was 11 yo? I thought she was more like 9 - at 11 she REALLY should know better than to try and drive a car. Then again, I had a recurring nightmare as a kid that I was in my parents truck and it started rolling down a hill and I didn't know how to stop it, so I NEVER would have considered trying to drive at that age!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 05-27-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3469084;
    Well you know none of that matters. It is always the woman's place to leave her life and/or career to favour her husband's career. Any women who doesn't voluntarily forsake her existing life in order to keep the husband happy without making an issue of it is a selfish shrew.
    Lol, I'm sorry to bring this topic back up again, but wanted to clarify - just in case you think I actually feel that way!

A woman's career is just as important as a man's, but they have already showed that they cannot live in the manner to which they are accustomed on Allison's salary alone. They also implied that there were no engineering jobs available in the area when Joe was looking earlier - before the recession. Plus, this was more than just a job in his field. This was the development of his invention.
    I understand not wanting to uproot her life and leave her career. It is unlikely she would gain the respect she has at the DA's office somewhere else. But to still be grousing, when the company has compromised so much, because Joe has to be away from home for 2-3 nights a week...that may be a touch selfish. (Dang writers! )

To post or not to post... What the heck!
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

It will be interesting to see how CBS picks up where NBC leaves off next week. A brain tumor? Really???

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3471337;
    It will be interesting to see how CBS picks up where NBC leaves off next week. A brain tumor? Really???
    Yea, those commercials really made it sound like it could be a series finale...is NBC trying to make viewers think it is over and there is nothing to continue over on CBS...? I believe CBS actually owns the show, so it seems like they would have some kind of control over it, but I really have no idea how these things work...

+ Reply to Thread