+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 168 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109149 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

Very true - however, as someone who has watched a family member suffer with drug addiction over the years (oxycontin), it is amazing how quickly the drug takes over their life and they are no longer capable of making rational decisions. I, too, used to be extremely judgemental of those that made obviously horrible choices, as I did not have an understanding of the true depths of addiction. This family member just came home again yesterday from a 7 month stay in a rehab facility - and we are hoping and praying each and every moment that this time it sticks. The guilt that she lives with over what she has done to not only herself, but her children, parents, siblings, and other family members is often the thing that drives her to use again. It is quite a battle - one that never ends.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I understand exactly what you are saying, but these people (on Oprah) have voluntarily introduced their children to this life, and now there is a baby being introduced to this life. They have no right to have done that to their children. These people had even, admittedly, shot up in front of their children. EXCUSE ME??? These people have earned the judgment that they may receive. What they did is not OK, and they have damaged people other than themselves. If it were just the adult parents, I'd say "have at it", and I'd keep moving.

I wish nothing but good things for your family member, and I understand what a long, uphill climb that addicts have. It's a very difficult situation, and no one wants to see their loved ones affected.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Having been an addict (clean and sober for 7 years) and worked in the field there are things that are easy to judge from the outside. Yes it is wrong to shoot up in front of children and so forth. but unless you can wrap your mind around the entire disease of addiction you can't really understand what is going on in the household. People who are using are not in the right frame of mind. They are not capable of making healthy choices about themselves let alone all their children but it doesn't mean they don't want to. There is a lot of guilt and shame associated with addiction for the addict who cannot control their problem while in the middle of it. It's more complicated than oh geez she shot up in front the kid and that is horrible. It is a sickness.

Thanks for the well wishes, Shay I guess my main point in all of that was the guilt. For several years now it has been a vicious circle for her. She became addicted after many surgeries (lost her legs in an auto accident) and once free of the pills, the guilt sets in. To escape the guilt - take the pills. Unfortunately, her children saw her taking the pills, passing out from the pills, unresponsive and falling out of wheelchair, talking about suicide to escape. It has a terrible effect on the kids that resembles shooting up in front of the kids, I would dare to guess. One of her kids is now battling his own addiction with pot, while the other kids won't go near any kind of drug.

You are absolutely right though, they have no right whatsoever to do this to their kids, and I completely agree that the baby needs to be taken from them until they are clean. That is no existence for that infant. I was surprised that they still have the infant, given that they are in a homeless shelter and I would assume those running and working in the shelter would notice the drug use in the parents and call the proper authorities. Am I missing something there?

Congratulations on your sobriety, causingchaos!
    Last edited by Margaritaville; 09-30-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Exactly! Why is that baby still in that situation?

causingchaos, congratulations on your 7 years clean and sober! I'm sure you took the hard way out....straight up the middle. And thank you for being there to help others that you understand better than most people. I truly respect and admire people like you. I have a friend who has an addictive personality, and really likes prescription drugs. I have seen her go through many changes to place herself in situations where she could obtain these drugs. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure, but I don't think she's currently on anything, but she knows her weakness but repeatedly places herself in drug-seeking situations (right doctor, right dentist, etc.) Luckily, she lives alone and doesn't have children. She had severe adverse reactions to oxycontin, but it still took her longer than I would have expected to stop taking them. She was just determined. I do worry for her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I did child protection last year too. The reason the baby is still in the house is because of public outcry about the removal of children from homes. So the pendulum has swung the other way after enough people have cried "no fair." So now children are left in homes well past when they should be. Most of the time they are working with people to remedy the situation if social services is involved.

There is also a huge shortage of foster homes for kids that are removed. Where they end up is not necessarily better than where they psychologically speaking so it's a matter of picking the lesser of the evils and sometimes a drug addicted mother is the lesser of the evils.

Sad and creepy.

FORT Fanatic

Today's episode was so sad! I find it surprising though that considering the press that forgetting (or leaving) kids in a car is getting that no one has come up with some sort of device to remind parents that their child is still in the car. It could be as simple as an alarm that goes off if the parent goes more than 10 feet from the car seat. If they can come up with a backup alarm or outfit a vehicle as a home entertainment system, why can't someone come up with this safety feature?

Oprah... OMG she's frustrating me. O darling I understand you think the world revolves around you but Shut Up! This woman's child dying wasn't a wake-up call for YOU to slow down. And you saying that, not just once but at least three times, isn't the least bit comforting. And you bringing up instances in your life where you felt overwhelmed and how you solved that crisis isn't helpful either. It's condescending and narcissitic.

When did the point of her show become teaching us how everything in the world relates back to her?? And why do I keep watching?

helpme, I love your username!

Despite what you noted, Oprah freakin' surprised me by not being judgmental about the issue, and facilitating all the support for the main guest. Maybe there's hope for Oprah yet?

You know how often she says the "right thing", but you can see the look of contempt and judgment in her eyes? Well I swear I saw compassion in her eyes today.

I'm sorry even after hearing her story. I don't see how you forget you left the house with a child and not see the child while exiting the car.

+ Reply to Thread