+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 168 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108148 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3025227;
    I agree. I really applauded that couple for taking a stand to get the idea out that having a DUI IS a big deal. When the woman made the point about people clapping to acknowledge they had when Oprah asked "How many of you have had one drink and then driven home" but if Oprah had asked "how many of you pick your noses?" people would have been too embarassed to admit it publicly it really did drive home the idea for me that DUIs are viewed more as a right of passage then something to really be frowned on in our society.

There was another aspect of that story they did not touch on which I wish they had. It was said in passing that the little girl who was killed had a seat belt on, but was laying down on the seat, and it was the seatbelt that decapitated her. There needs to be more public awareness of the fact that safety devices in cars only work when used as they're intended to be used. Laying down with a seat belt on can cause more harm than not having one on in some cases. Sitting with your feet up on a dashboard can cause serious damage if airbags are deployed. It's not merely using safety devices that keep you safe in a car ... it's using them as they're designed.
    I was trying to figure out how exactly that seat belt was positioned with what happened. I don't wear my belt correctly in my car because I'm short and it goes right across my neck and face. I can't afford an adjuster for it so I do what I have to do because I have this irrational fear that I'll have an accident and get decapitated.

I know tons of people that will have "just a few" drinks and hop into the car and drive off thinking they're fine. I used to work at a drug/alcohol detox and had a lot of people come in who were blowing .40 and still walking and driving and it scared me because they thought they were fine. I don't think people realize how little it takes before they become impaired drivers. I thought it was just here though that people have this thought that it's just something that everyone does to get DUI/DWI and not something really bad and that they wouldn't kill anyone while doing that because they have control of the car. It blows my mind.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3025595;

I know tons of people that will have "just a few" drinks and hop into the car and drive off thinking they're fine. I used to work at a drug/alcohol detox and had a lot of people come in who were blowing .40 and still walking and driving and it scared me because they thought they were fine. I don't think people realize how little it takes before they become impaired drivers. I thought it was just here though that people have this thought that it's just something that everyone does to get DUI/DWI and not something really bad and that they wouldn't kill anyone while doing that because they have control of the car. It blows my mind.
    It is such a dangerous, dangerous mindset to figure you can have "just a few" and drive. Think about it - the more you drink, the worse your judgement becomes. So when you're deciding after having had some to drink if you're okay or not, then you're not in the best position to judge.

In that regard, I have to say I think that Tracy Gold's appearance on Oprah was more compelling than this family. Since she'd had only one drink when she got her DUI, it really drove home the point that "just one" is too much. This story, while EXTREMELY emotional and compelling, did more to me to drive home the point that if you are with someone who has had too much to drink TAKE THEIR KEYS. Since the guy who caused their accident had 14 drinks, it would be way too easy for many to see the story, figure he had 14 and I had "just one" so it's not the same thing.

OPRAH is an IDIOT!!!!!! Hillary Clinton should be the Democratic nominee for president! NOT Barack Obama. Hell, I like the guy,I'll vote for him, but only because I refuse to vote for another Republican! Oprah screwed up everything!!!!!!!!! NOW THE DEMOCRATS WON'T WIN!!!!!! She is a selfish IDIOT!!!!!! She was more concerned about getting a black man in the position instead of getting the right person for the job. She's a power hungry, Scientologist (Who's afraid to admit it) bitch!!!!! She has single handedly screwed up this entire election! Why didn't she just run(herself) to get her rocks off!!!Why do people even listen to her? SHE IS A TALK SHOW HOST!!!!! Did she go to law school? NO!!! Did she go to med school? NO!!! OOOOH!!!! She had a good personality so people liked her!!!!! WOW! Now THAT'S a good reason to listen to someone! I HATE OPRAH!!!!! I hope she crashes in John Travoltas jet! I hope that Tom Cruise accidently jumps on her chest (crushing her heart) , I hope the Kirstie Alley eats her!!!!! Get my point????

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Oprah's a Scientologist? Never heard that rumor before...seriously. So should we think Obama is as well? They mostly only support each other.... And people worried that he was a Muslim!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3184015;
    Oprah's a Scientologist? Never heard that rumor before...seriously. So should we think Obama is as well? They mostly only support each other.... And people worried that he was a Muslim!
    Support each other???? Who does she make the biggest deal about being on her show???? John Travolta, Tom Cruise and Kirstie Alley!!(All BIG TIME Scientologists) Makes me wonder! She's too invested in "Middle America" to admit that she's one. She's preaching to the "Bible Belt". ( I doubt that Obama is a Scientologist) but who knows. Oprah threw a wrench in the works. She has so many fans that listen to her. They trust her! They don't question her! It's SCARY! Fans who don't bother to do their own homework and just listen to her. I just have to add (as odd as it sounds) I'm voting for the guy. Sorry, Just can't vote Republican! I just feel that it should have been Hillary Clinton and I can't stand the power that Oprah has at this point. It never would have been Obama if Oprah hadn't endorsed him.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3185035;
    Support each other???? Who does she make the biggest deal about being on her show???? John Travolta, Tom Cruise and Kirstie Alley!!(All BIG TIME Scientologists) Makes me wonder! She's too invested in "Middle America" to admit that she's one. She's preaching to the "Bible Belt". ( I doubt that Obama is a Scientologist) but who knows. Oprah threw a wrench in the works. She has so many fans that listen to her. They trust her! They don't question her! It's SCARY! Fans who don't bother to do their own homework and just listen to her. I just have to add (as odd as it sounds) I'm voting for the guy. Sorry, Just can't vote Republican! I just feel that it should have been Hillary Clinton and I can't stand the power that Oprah has at this point. It never would have been Obama if Oprah hadn't endorsed him.

So you don't think Hillary's loss has anything to do with the fact that she ran an awful campaign? Do you honestly believe Obama would have won if he did not have a great organization set up? Heck, perhaps he should have spent more time in Chicago resting (instead of campaigning) if he was going to win regardless due to Oprah's endorsement.

I think someone forgot to take their Xanax...
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3183054;
    OPRAH is an IDIOT!!!!!! Hillary Clinton should be the Democratic nominee for president! NOT Barack Obama. Hell, I like the guy,I'll vote for him, but only because I refuse to vote for another Republican! Oprah screwed up everything!!!!!!!!! NOW THE DEMOCRATS WON'T WIN!!!!!! She is a selfish IDIOT!!!!!! She was more concerned about getting a black man in the position instead of getting the right person for the job. She's a power hungry, Scientologist (Who's afraid to admit it) bitch!!!!! She has single handedly screwed up this entire election! Why didn't she just run(herself) to get her rocks off!!!Why do people even listen to her? SHE IS A TALK SHOW HOST!!!!! Did she go to law school? NO!!! Did she go to med school? NO!!! OOOOH!!!! She had a good personality so people liked her!!!!! WOW! Now THAT'S a good reason to listen to someone! I HATE OPRAH!!!!! I hope she crashes in John Travoltas jet! I hope that Tom Cruise accidently jumps on her chest (crushing her heart) , I hope the Kirstie Alley eats her!!!!! Get my point????
    Well if Oprah is responsible for Hilary Clinton not being the Dem Nominee where can I find her to thank her?

Did anyone else see today's show with Lisa Ling and the heroin using family? It was so very sad, and unfortunately not that uncommon in that area. I was glad to see they were offered help - will check Oprah's site tomorrow to see if any of them took her up on the offer. Oprah was, however, pretty condescending to her guests and came off as extremely judgemental. Big surprise, I know.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I saw the show, and I must say that I can understand what appears to be condescending and judgmental attitude toward people who seem to be practicing Russian Roulette as a family. At this point, the heroin usage is their family legacy. This is what they give to oncoming generations? This behavior was a choice when it started. They chose to drug, and children learn from their parents more times than not. That baby needs to be removed from that situation until they can straighten themselves out and give that baby what he is really worth. He deserves so very much better. The choices they have made are totally and completely wrong. Sometimes, we have to go beyond our own selfish wants to do what is best for the people with whom we have been entrusted.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread