+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 168 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107147 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

Oprah had Lisa Ling on today - her polygamy special. Wow... was that a bit educational? Apparently these young girls are not only married off as early as age 14 -- but they are NOT taught about sex, in any manner whatsoever!! The girls do not even have knowledge of basic anatomy, and are taught that babies come from heaven. It is up to their husbands to "educate" them after the ceremony. Oh yes, and I cannot forget that the cult has no issue with cousins marrying cousins and procreating.... Unfriggin'believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2997010;
    Oprah had Lisa Ling on today - her polygamy special. Wow... was that a bit educational? Apparently these young girls are not only married off as early as age 14 -- but they are NOT taught about sex, in any manner whatsoever!! The girls do not even have knowledge of basic anatomy, and are taught that babies come from heaven. It is up to their husbands to "educate" them after the ceremony. Oh yes, and I cannot forget that the cult has no issue with cousins marrying cousins and procreating.... Unfriggin'believable.
    When Lisa Ling was walking through the areas that were used for "baptism" and was shown the "cubby holes" they hid the under-age girls in, my skin was crawling as much as she said hers was.
    CYA

I don't really pay attention to Oprah shows usually but this one just broke my heart. The picture of that girl kissing her cousin. She looked like she wanted to crawl out of her skin in that picture. THat was just so sad.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Does anyone know if there is going to be a special on Lisa Ling's piece? I forgot to watch/TiVO Oprah, and I'd like to see this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2974294;
    Yes, she said they all lied. She talked about the gastric bypass, and how they all obviously knew that Starr had done it, and originally she was going to talk about it, even in a 20/20 interview. But then she decided that she didn't want to, and didn't want any of them to make it public. So they kept quiet for a friend. Barbara called it lying -- I consider it more not speaking up and betraying a friend.

She then explained that ABC decided to not renew Star's contract because they did focus groups whch showed that the declining ratings were due to Star, who had gone from being the most popular and relatable woman on the show to the one people disliked the most. Barbara blamed it on her dishonesty about the weight loss as well as her getting too out of control with her wedding, which I think is fair. So, as we all have heard by now, ABC told her they wouldn't renew, Barbara and Bill said they'd say whatever Star wanted them to in explaining her departure, and then Star went behind their backs doing the People interview and announcing two days early that she was not returning.
    Thanks for this recap, I missed the show.

It is all so silly. In the scope of things, who cares if she had a gastric bypass. They didn't lie for her, they respected her privacy. Many celebrities choose to keep personal issues out of the public eye.

Starr hung herself with her personality and wedding plans, plain and simple.

I actually loved the fact that Starr jumped the gun and screwed Barbara's well laid out plan to announce her leaving!

I am not a Walters fan. Barbara is a liar. She did talk to Trump and Larry King about Rosie. And her confession about her affair was self aggrandizing and NOT an illustration on the progress of race realtions, as she claimed, for frik sake.

FORT Fanatic

The O Ambassadors program looks really interesting and kinda makes me envious there wasn't such a thing available when I was in school. What I find odd though is that they seem to be saying there are only 3 areas in the world that need help - Asia, Africa & Latin America. I think there are just as many areas in developed countries who could use a helping hand.

FORT Fogey

Did anyone else see the show that she did on Friday - learning from other family's tragedies to prevent your own? It was one of the most captivating hours of televison I'd ever seen.

First, she had on a couple whose family had been in a limo coming home from a wedding when the car was hit by a drunk driver on an interstate. The chauffer and their daughter were killed, others in the limo were seriously injured. The mother was talking about getting out of the car with the daughter who was killed, watching them resuce the rest of the family from the car ... then it was explained that by being with her daughter, the mother meant the daughter's head, as she'd been decapitated.

After thinking nothing could be more emotionally compelling than their story, they went on to the second story which was a grandmother who had unknowingly backed over her grandson not knowing he was running behind her car. She talked about how she'd refused to forgive herself for two years. Then they had a woman on who sixteen years ago had fallen asleep at the wheel, her car rolled over and went into a lake, killing 3 of her 6 kids. The conversation between the two women -- one further along in the grief process trying to pull the other one through - was one of the most moving conversations I've ever witnessed.

It was one of those shows that Oprah used to do so wonderfully -- no preaching, just talking about things that happen in life to help other people through them. It was an incredibly well done show. I wish she'd get back to doing more of that.

I saw that show on Friday and had to talk about it with my friend that night especially the limo one because DUI/DWI's are practically a right of passage here. People see absolutely nothing wrong with drunk driving where I live and it's not unusually to have people with 5+ of them noodling around the road.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3025216;
    I saw that show on Friday and had to talk about it with my friend that night especially the limo one because DUI/DWI's are practically a right of passage here. People see absolutely nothing wrong with drunk driving where I live and it's not unusually to have people with 5+ of them noodling around the road.
    I agree. I really applauded that couple for taking a stand to get the idea out that having a DUI IS a big deal. When the woman made the point about people clapping to acknowledge they had when Oprah asked "How many of you have had one drink and then driven home" but if Oprah had asked "how many of you pick your noses?" people would have been too embarassed to admit it publicly it really did drive home the idea for me that DUIs are viewed more as a right of passage then something to really be frowned on in our society.

There was another aspect of that story they did not touch on which I wish they had. It was said in passing that the little girl who was killed had a seat belt on, but was laying down on the seat, and it was the seatbelt that decapitated her. There needs to be more public awareness of the fact that safety devices in cars only work when used as they're intended to be used. Laying down with a seat belt on can cause more harm than not having one on in some cases. Sitting with your feet up on a dashboard can cause serious damage if airbags are deployed. It's not merely using safety devices that keep you safe in a car ... it's using them as they're designed.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3024603;
    It was one of those shows that Oprah used to do so wonderfully -- no preaching, just talking about things that happen in life to help other people through them. It was an incredibly well done show. I wish she'd get back to doing more of that.
    It was a repeat. It would be nice if she went back through her catalogue and picked out the ones that got the most response (other than the free giveaway ones) and updated the topics. Then sat back (with tape on her mouth if needed) and let her guests tell their story instead of interuppting with her 'oh my gosh that happened to me this way let me tell ya'll about it'. I've been a faithful viewer for more years than I can count but I end up turning off or fast-forwarding through 2-3 episodes per week now. Usually she's good for an hour of infotainment but those shows are becoming fewer & fewer.

+ Reply to Thread