+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 168 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102142 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

Tune into Oprah today!! I'm so excited!
    I absolutely adore David Cassidy!!

Get Health, Beauty, Recipes, Money, Decorating and Relationship Advice on Oprah.com.

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2790815;
    Anyone else see today's "Biggest Makeover Ever" with Nate? Besides the obvious Extreme Makeover: Home Edition ripoff feel it really came off as a blatant "look at how great we are to re-do someone's home". There really wasn't anything wrong with their house and while it was great of them to get custody of their three nieces did it really warrant a complete home makeover?

I also really wonder about the landscaper - didn't they tell him it was a home with four kids? Kids don't care about landscaping, trees, pretty stones, etc. They care about space to play, to run, to throw things. It was a yard for growns-ups not for four growing kids.

One upside is that the bedrooms were functional and can grow with the family, unlike the theme rooms on Extreme Makeover that I suspect become old quickly (what 15 yr old wants a life-size dragon in the middle of their room?)
    "Word!" to everything in your post. I was shaking my head at that stupid "designer yard", too. And even though those rooms are generic, they looked really small, and I think as they all quickly become teens, the younger ones are going to resent the older one having her own bathroom. Nate gives me the heebie-jeebies. I hate too-good-looking men who preen.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My only thought on this whole thing is that everything can't and shouldn't be designed for children. They can get over their resentment when they get out and get their own places! The adults definitely deserve some consideration.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Speaking of the Makeover show....I love Nate, but does anyone else think he needs a makeover...starting with his HAIR!!!

I thought those 3 little girls were absolutely adorable and their cousin (Ty) was so well behaved through the whole show, from Red Robin right up until the unveiling of the new house.

Great show!!!

As far as makeover shows, last week's Extreme Makeover with the Marine was and will be my FAV episode. LOVED THAT SO MUCH!!!!

My name is misskitty and I am a schlumpadink.

If you didn't catch Wed. show, it was about dressing better for yourself and getting out of your comfy pyjamas, sweats and runners. I was impressed that they took regular women, took them to basic stores like Sears and Old Navy, and didn't have looks that cost a fortune or don't really work in real life. If you missed it....

The Top 10 Things You Need This Season:
    - a good mid-length trench coat; light and colorful
    - a black and white turtleneck
    - a pair of well fitting black trousers
    - a tunic
    - a pair of white jeans
    - a pair of dark jeans
    - a black dress (not party dress)
    - a white or dark blue denim jacket
    - a black skirt
    - a cashmere sweater
    - shoes/bag that don't match

Major faux pas: wearing too much jewellry, and being matchy matchy with shoes and handbag
    Best accessory: light, bright, long scarf
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2805014;
    I was impressed that they took regular women, took them to basic stores like Sears and Old Navy, and didn't have looks that cost a fortune or don't really work in real life.
    I missed this show, but I'm glad she took people to some place that is actually affordable to real people. I was fed up with her talking about "affordable" stuff that was ridiculously priced for the average consumer!

Todays Oprah was great with all the past dancing with the stars cast and new cast!

OK please tell me I am not the only one that found these Freegans(dumpster divers) creepy?

FORT Fanatic

I found it somewhat creepy but mostly really odd that they seemed to profile upper middle class people who could more than afford to buy what they were scavenging. I understand the concept of it, using wasted resources, but I also wonder what benefit it has to anyone but those doing it. College kids & those with tight budgets I can see benefitting from it immensely, but doctors, engineers & analysts? Wouldn't the community be better served if they used their connections to get that food transferred to the needy?

I love Freegans. If we had more dumpsters here I'd do it. The point they are trying to make is the excess in this country (and Canada has a good Freegan community too). We waste so much.

It's not about being able to afford the food it's the fact that people around the world are dieing because they have no food and we throw out perfectly good food because someone doesn't want to spend money on a bruised apple. If they keep buying food it keeps the demand up. If the demand stays up production stays up. It's taking the demand out of the supply/demand chain since the almighty dollar is the only thing that matters in our society.

It's statement on waste. We a disposable wasteful society that revolves around money. They are taking out the dollar aspect. They are doing what they can to cut down on waste by consuming what other people toss... etc.

+ Reply to Thread