+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 168 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

What bothered me most on the first show she did on the hurricane was she had the chance to ask the Mayor of New Orleans why he didn't evacuate or use the city's mass transit to evacuate. She had the chance to ask him what his emergency PLAN was. As the Mayor how he wasn't first in line to get those people out when the order was given. She just sort of wailed how mad she was and I would like to hear someone ask HIM, the mayor, why, WHY he didn't use public transportation to evacuate!

FORT Fanatic
    I was thinking this over lunch and I guess what really makes me angry is NOT that Oprah went town to New Orleans, but just some of her general behaviors that other reporters have not displayed.

1. For example, she talked to the mayor of New Orleans, which is understandable. She isn't the first tv personality to do this, but she was hounding him about going into the astrodium(sp) The mayor has better things to do then have Oprah having a temper tanturm about being told "no" No means "no" Oprah. Just like Hermes told you NO. The news already described the conditions as horrid, and I only saw segment 1, but we didn't see too much of the inside anyway.

2. I don't see any other tv jouranlist stomping around saying NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO this should not have happened, in a fashion that Oprah can only portray. If your going to be a tv journalist, be one. It doesn't mean you can't have emotion, just dont act like an idiot. These people have LOST EVERYTHING, doing that doesn't help matters.

3. This is just a matter of opinion, but I just have this intuition that a lot of Oprah's behavior is for "show" I'm not saying she isn't genuine, I think she is. And am sure she probably gave way over 1 million of her own cash(at least). But I get this feeling of self-promotion, like she "saved" New Orleans, and thats how the Entertainment shows are portraying her.

I changed my mind and agree with the poster who said showing the dead body wasn't a bad thing, because that is truly reality. And some news organizations didn't show that or some of the stranded animals, so some of the coverage was good, and it will help people donate money, but I look at people like Campbell Brown who is a pretty good journalist, and was able to show emotion, but not do an "Oprah"

In closing, although Oprah is from that region the true I of them storm didn't hit where she lives. It hit where Ellen Degeneres, Harry Connick Jr and Arthel Neville were born and raised. All 3 showed emotion, but didn't act like Oprah.

All in all, I'm glad what what she did, because people will contribute like I did, before and after. And I know everyone is capatlizing on this, but I believe she could of handled it better, instead of saying today show features: Gayle King, Chris Rock, John Travalota etc.

That's all.

Her season opener was nice today. Jennifer Anniston was the guest and she seemed good, mellow and sort of inner reflective. She said she is ready to turn the page and get on with life happy to be where she is in this point in life happy with the now. She wishes the media would get over it and turn the page too.

Oprah had the Hermes CEO there and he apologized on behalf of the company for her snubbing in Paris. She gave her side of the story and she wasn't so much mad at Hermes as she was at one paticular employee who was rude to her. She isn't boycotting the company at all.

She announced she is giving 10Million of her own money to Katrina relief! That was impressive for sure. She is also setting up a "registry" where people can go on line and pay for what they can afford IE a toaster, dishes, towels or the whole house for victims.

She revealed her new tv studio. It was great, having gone to her show a few years ago when it was very small and basicall folding chairs crowded in for space it was needed and the studio looks amazing!

She also introduced the three new puppies (white labs I think) she and Steadman bought.

Nice but not so much of a WOW show except for her personal donation to the relief effort.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood
    What bothered me most on the first show she did on the hurricane was she had the chance to ask the Mayor of New Orleans why he didn't evacuate or use the city's mass transit to evacuate. She had the chance to ask him what his emergency PLAN was. As the Mayor how he wasn't first in line to get those people out when the order was given. She just sort of wailed how mad she was and I would like to hear someone ask HIM, the mayor, why, WHY he didn't use public transportation to evacuate!
    Ditto. It's easy to blame the whole world. How was HE, THE mayor, prepared to save his people? And why Oprah didn't ask him this DIRECTLY?

FORT Fanatic
    Oprah seems to lack some common sense. I must say what she did for the relief was WAY kind and it was truly from the heart. With the whole hermes ordeal. Here is my take. She said the store was in the process of closing. I have worked some retail jobs and here is what that means: Yes, there were people in the store, but they were finshing up there purchases. They didn't close the door, so those people could get out. They were NOT letting new people in. Oprah, its not because your black, american, or you didd'nt have 2 gallons of makeup on. Its because the store was "closing" that's all there is too it. And dont worry about me buying a berka(sp) bag for anybody, I can barely afford lunch. I like the new set though. Impressive

She said yesterday that she realized that was the case, she just felt snubbed in paticular by ONE employee. She said it wasn't a case of " who she is" it was just the overall rudeness by the one employee and she didn't feel it reflected on the the company as a whole.

The president did explain that while they were wrapping up the day and trying to get people out, they were also trying to set up and prepare for a VIP special event that was going to take place there that evening.

I'm sorry, the woman said she is not a Diva but I have to disagree. She said she did not want to go into a store that was closed, but in the process of being closed. That means, people are no longer allowed in, but those who are inside are encouraged to wrap it up and get going. I would bet the employee's rudeness came down to not letting the great and powerful Oprah into a store that was for all intents & purposes closed. I would have hoped that this might deflate her planet sized ego but her show with the President of Hermes was a warning to other retailers to not get on Oprah's bad side.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood
    She said yesterday that she realized that was the case, she just felt snubbed in paticular by ONE employee. She said it wasn't a case of " who she is" it was just the overall rudeness by the one employee and she didn't feel it reflected on the the company as a whole.

The president did explain that while they were wrapping up the day and trying to get people out, they were also trying to set up and prepare for a VIP special event that was going to take place there that evening.
    Disagree!! That one employee could of been you or I. It was most likely the employee who said, we are not letting anymore customers in. Sorry, but Oprah is wrong in this case. She said the employee was "rigid" and the owner agreed then Oprah said "rude" but it when it came to "rude" the owner agreed, but if you could tell he didn't want to go along with it(watch the tape over, if need be). Its hard not to, when you have Oprah, and her whole studio on "team oprah" The employee probably was "rigid" because the store was closing. Oprah never said how the employee was "rude" Oprah, once tried on hats and said she has a really big head, she isn't lying. And this whole Gayle King thing is annoying. I wish someone would play how many times she needs to "name drop" her best friend. We all have good friends/best friends, but her endless need to talk about Gayle is stange, to say the least. I don't dislike Oprah, she just needs to back down a little.

I am not sure what to think I am simply saying what she said. She did say that they were standing inside the store not outside, that the woman took her name and went and had a discussion with some other employees then told them no they couldn't shop. She mentioned several times that she didn't persist but that Gayle did and that they left. She did point out that they were already inside the store, which I am sure was because the store was still unlocked. She did say that she did not think this one woman represented the entire business.

I can understand how anyone could walk in a store and see others still shopping and wonder why you couldn't pick up something specific you came to get, not browse. I can also understand how if in fact someone took your name had a discussion and them came back and said no you can't come it you might feel personally snubbed, famous or not. Eh who knows..

My take on Oprah's discussion yesterday about the Hermes incident: too little, too late.

Why did Oprah let this go on all summer if she didn't blame the entire Hermes organization for the event?? She saw the flack Hermes was subjected to ALL FREAKING SUMMER and she did NOTHING!

Irresponsible! For her to not have stepped up sooner to save this company's reputation is inconceivable and rude. All because she wanted to mention it on her own show? Shame on her! She also saw the flack that she, personally, took, and this is her way of bowing out of it gracefully because she knew that her claim had no racial substance.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread