+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 168 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Did anyone catch Nate's show yesterday? I was bummed that I hadnt heard the topic before I left home... as I was then unable to TiVo it.

FORT Regular
    On the bra episode, did Oprah ever reveal her bra size? She said she would.

she never did, laura. my guess is they did that on the after the show episode.

I remember her mentioning her current size but she didn't reveal what the bra expert discovered.

It was an interesting show...
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Did anyone catch Nate's show yesterday? I was bummed that I hadnt heard the topic before I left home... as I was then unable to TiVo it.
    Yep - I watched Broadway. First they showed Nate's work on the living room of a woman whose husband died of cancer not long ago. This was one of those Love of my life kind of things and when he was diagnosed with inoperable cancer, she was newly pregnant. He passed away just after their daughter turned one. The living room is where he spent most of his final two years laying on the couch and watching TV. She could hardly step into the room because of all the bead memories and had even considered moving.

Nate did what he always does - he made a total transformation and took away the physical reminders of her husband's death while managing to have so many little things in the room that would remind her of him. It was really beautiful. Eerily, this was the last makeover Nate did with Fernando as the photographer and was not long before the Tsunami. They talked with Oprah about the moment he tried to comfort her saying that he could imagine how she felt (when he really couldn't at the time).

Every time I see Nate, I just want to give him a big hug.

They moved on to show Nate's house, which has all white walls and a very neutral palate.... and two big dogs. Oprah, of course, made a big fat deal of showing Nate's bedroom, which I thought was a little inapprpriate since he just lost his partner, what? 6 months ago? Anyway, he has a nice place.

There were design questions from the audience too. I can't remember much else except the fact that Nate hates silk/fake flowers and plants.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic
    Oprah has jumped the shark. I remember the "old" humble Oprah, but money/fame has really gotten to her head. I think it's sad she had to pull a "crash" moment, because she wasn't let into Hermes. My gut feeling was she came a few minutes after the store closed, and was pissed she couldnt get in. Hermes says they have the video so time will tell. Oprah once tried on a hat on her show, and said she had a big head, she wasn't lying

FORT Fanatic
    I know this can be a little touchy feely, but I am a little disappointed in Oprah. Not so much that she is in New Orleans, but I think Oprah does so much for "show" Im not saying she is a bad person, actually she is has done *lots* of great things. But Oprah has turned this into a celebrity show. Bringing all these big name people. I am probably too much of a cynic, but I think it is done in somewhat poor taste. Im not saying she can't cover events like this, its just the way its being done(re:the celeb factor). Ellen Degeneres is from New Orleans, and her season premiere was not all gloom and doom. Oprah's season even doesnt start for a few weeks. I also think Oprah has trouble with the word "NO" they didnt want her to go into the stadium, and she kept asking, and asking. Finally they just let her in(re: probably similar with her, hermes ordeal) Did she want to go on in to really see what was happening or just just let the cameras in for pure ratings sake. Also having Nate Berkus pointing out dead bodies is not necessary. Oprah has not been the first tv personality to tell us, that what we see on tv is no where close to what it is like done there. Oprah's show is an entertainment show, and I agree she does current events. I guess im just disappointed, because I think Oprah does more for "show" then anything. Like I said I think she is a good person, and has ton more for mankind then I ever will, I still think its done in somewhat poor taste. I did my share, gave a donation, and emailed a friend who lives in biloxi who I havent heard back from, but other friends think hes okay. I just think "Oprah" is all about "Oprah" I guess the bottom line is:ratings.
    Last edited by jman79; 09-07-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    I think that no matter what Oprah does or does not do she will be criticized for it. There are those who will agree with you and say she should have just done whatever she was going to do to help without bringing attention to herself, but then you would have those saying why didn't Oprah do something? It may have been in poor taste to show a dead body laying in the street, but it's reality. To me it's no different than Dateline, Primetime, ET, Extra, and all the other shows that have raw footage from the different locations that were affected by Katrina. I like Oprah and think she takes a lot of heat for a lot of things she does for good.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

FORT Fanatic
    i rethought the situation a tad. What she did is good, because more people will donate. I dont like the fact that she makes it a celebrity event, and does a lot for "show" There are a lot of of celebrities who were born in new orleans, and it sorta gets on my nerves because Oprah sorta acts like she has lived there her whole life.

I have absolutely no problem with what Oprah did. She gathered the resources, including people(yes celebrities), and got to work. What a good example! Could she give more? Probably. I only wish I had as much money to give and knew so many prominent people to ask to help as well.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread