+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 168 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Aretha Franklin has a well-documented fear of flying, so maybe that's why she didn't show. I can't imagine Oprah didn't invite her.
    You know, after I posted that I remembered that Aretha doesn't fly. She has a bus that she uses to go everywhere. California is a long way from Detroit if you have no performance committments in the California area! I have to believe that she had performance committments because I can't imagine anything else keeping her from attending (or maybe she was sick).

I can't imagine driving everywhere! What a drag!!! I'm not a huge fan of flying either, but I just take something to calm my nerves and get on board!!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-25-2006 at 12:07 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laura000 View Post
    Which Afro-Americans did not go to Oprah's ball? Is Paula Abdul half black?
    The appropriate term is "African Americans", and Paula's ethnicity is
    Syrian-Palestinian and French-Canadian.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post
    did anyone watch the Auchwitz episode?
    whoa.
    Yes I did MBP. And I got a little drinky poo to get through it. It still boggles my mind. And in that same vein check out something I found scary and posted in current events. How there were reports, which could just be rumors, and untrue, that Iran has been considering labelling people with "badges" to identify who is not Muslim, who are Christian and who are Jews.

A deja-vu this world does not need to see again in its lifetime IMO.

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...08#post1919908
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Did anyone see Inside Edition today? One story was about Oprah crashing weddings in Oklahoma, for a show she's doing.
    Strange behavior, I'm thinking.

Yeah, Muduh, I have seen several shows today talking about her wedding crashing. Seems she went to a few weddings over the weekend in the Tulsa area and gave the newlywed couples a set of dishes as a wedding gift.

She is filming all of these weddings for a show that will air in September.

One of the newlywed couples was interviewed and said that they were going over to cut the cake when the DJ interrupted and said that a special guest was coming into the room.

The double doors of the reception room opened up, lights ablazing, and in walks Oprah bearing her gift!

The newlywed wife said that Oprah told her that she had looked at the bride's registry and most of the items were already bought, so she decided on a service for 8 of "really nice dishes".....ivory in color with chickens in the center. (I kid thee not!)

Also, the moms of the bride and groom were on Rita Cosby and one of the moms said that when she first saw all the bright lights and the commotion, she thought the groomsmen pulled a trick on the groom by hiring a female impersonator who looked like Oprah! She said she asked Oprah several times who she really was. It wasn't until her husband asked Oprah what her finishing time was in some marathon she ran, and she answered correctly that the mom finally believed that it was really Oprah.

The moms also said that the dishes were really very lovely.

And...fyi....who was Oprah with at the wedding? Yup, Gayle!!!
    Last edited by MamaC; 06-07-2006 at 02:39 AM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    If anyone crashed my wedding--especially (1) coming with TV cameras and (2) bearing chicken plates--they'd be booted posthaste. I found this to be so terribly rude; the wedding is about a celebration of the union of the couple. Oprah, from what I read, did not discretely show up in the back of the church and skip the reception. Otherwise, why would we be reading about it? It seemed she made it more about her than the couple.

FORT Fogey
    It seemed she made it more about her than the couple.

BINGO! This is all about Oprah, all the time. Someone HAS to tell the woman that she is NOT as important as she thinks she is.

If anyone crashed my wedding--especially (1) coming with TV cameras and (2) bearing chicken plates--they'd be booted posthaste. I found this to be so terribly rude; the wedding is about a celebration of the union of the couple. Oprah, from what I read, did not discretely show up in the back of the church and skip the reception. Otherwise, why would we be reading about it? It seemed she made it more about her than the couple.
    My thinking exactly. Sort of took the stars of the event out of the limelight, didn't it? I think it's about the most rude thing she could have done.

The report said thay she took the microphone and made a little speech at the one wedding. That's beyond rude.

Did she crash the weddings or the receptions? I got the feeling from the article that I read that she was crashing the receptions and stayed for maybe 5 minutes tops at each one. In that case, what really was the point and how much could she have actually filmed?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I would not want anyone crashing my reception with Tv cameras, especially not a person as famous as Oprah. That's the one day a couple has to remember for their lifetimes. Also for both families to remember.

Talk about an interruption. Can you just imagine... best man is about to give his speech, and in comes Oprah... "Hiiiii wedding peopllllle!".

The rest of the night people would be in shock, and the whole night (by which the venue, entertainment and catering are planning things to the minute almost) would be thrown off kilter. Also did she pay for the extra time she took up... some venues only let you stay for four or five hours, and that's it. Any time taken up cannot be made up again at the end. Regular people don't have places bending to their whims that way. If she took 20 minutes (the 5 mins we see takes a lot longer to film) that could be the amount of time they had alloted for speeches, or to cut the cake, or a certain dance, etc.etc.

It's just self important and rude. Bleh.

+ Reply to Thread