+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 168 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

And next she's pimping Oscar DeLarenta's amazingly beautiful clothes, that are totally out of reach for the everyday American woman.
    In my opinion, Oprah lost touch with reality some time ago.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Maybe her reality changed...just like it has to change when your station in life changes.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    It is interesting how women think they are being strong, and sexually expressive and in control, when in many cases, they have just been successfully manipulated into thinking just that. That fact is, if you consider how things have progressed in a downward spin for women in general, we've lost more control and respect than we think we actually have.
    Misskitty, was that sentiment actually expressed on the program? Because I think it's worthy of an entire show - hell, a week of shows. Oprah, of all people, should pick up on it...she is a wildly successful woman who didn't need to use sexuality to earn respect or prove her strength of character (and even those who aren't fans can't deny that). I think she's done shows that have touched on the topic, but for the sake of the young women in her audience, I wish she could somehow hammer home the message that we need more Oprahs and less Jessica Simpsons as role models. Our society is all about media and the images they project, and none of them are about making our young women prouder of their intelligence and character than their bra size.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Misskitty, was that sentiment actually expressed on the program? Because I think it's worthy of an entire show - hell, a week of shows.
    Pretty much the sentiment as I picked up on it. But those were my words. Like I said, it was actually a very respectable show.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee
    She said that she enjoys being wealthy, if i'm not mistaken.
    I don't mind if she likes being wealthy. She's earned it so why not enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    ..In my opinion, Oprah lost touch with reality some time ago.
    It appears to me that she's become very inconsistent with her messages. If that's losing touch, then maybe she has somewhat. I think part of the problem is her producers picking topics. She really should disagree with a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay
    Maybe her reality changed...just like it has to change when your station in life changes.
    Her daily reality is indeed much different than when and how she grew up. I don't disregard that or that her outlook would change as well. However, considering her impact on the public, American and worldwide, she has to keep her messages in mind at all times.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I try to keep in mind that she has such an economically diverse audience, and age-wise her audience is, also, very diverse. She has to give something to everybody, so it's not always going to be "message" shows (but they are very interesting.) Gotta do "fluff" shows for "fluff-heads" (of which I am not one! ) And sometimes, she's just gotta have fun!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Good point prhoshay!

I thought today was a good show. I always like Dr. Robin. She gives great advice and puts things in a simple and understandable language. This was another type of self-actualizing show. Figure out who you are and then maybe you'll figure out what your problem is.

Does anyone remember the name of the book that Oprah said saved her relationship with Stedman? I didn't catch it.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

This little comment by Ludacris just kind of reiterates Oprah's reality vs reality:

April 20, 2006 -- LUDACRIS is dissing Oprah Winfrey. The rapper-turned-actor was miffed when he went on her show to promote "Crash" and got severely edited because Winfrey has a rule of not promoting rap or rappers. "She edited out a lot of my comments while keeping her own in," Ludacris told GQ. "Of course, it's her show, but we were doing a show on racial discrimination, and she gave me a hard time as a rapper when I came on there as an actor. I don't see why people like Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle, who I am huge fans of, it's OK for them to go on 'Oprah.' They speak the same language as I do, but they do it through comedy, so I guess that's acceptable."
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I guess when he gets his own show, he can go on there and invite O for a one-on-one discussion of her problem. Not that she'd go.....

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    but for the sake of the young women in her audience, I wish she could somehow hammer home the message that we need more Oprahs and less Jessica Simpsons as role models. Our society is all about media and the images they project, and none of them are about making our young women prouder of their intelligence and character than their bra size.
    Personally I don't find Jessica Simpson offensive. I find her shelter... and most likely will soon figure out... that her Daddy has took liberties with her cash.

At least Oprah has always made a point to show that she got an education... and she never relied on a man to give her a way of life. Which to me needs to be driven home for girls... is be responsible for your life.

Now let me rant for a moment...

Who I am completely stunned by? Paris Hilton. How in the world did that pinhead become the model of what young women desire to be?

Everyone one of those girls, that were brought in for the show with "Pink" on it... were classic examples of what is happening to this generation of teenagers.

They all aspire to be Paris Hilton.

Cheap looking, bad behaving... mean mouth... completely lack of social skills and just offensive in general.

Everytime I see how these girls speak about how great they are... I just laugh. They have no clue. And everytime they open up their mouths they set back Women's rights a hundred years. Somewhere Susan B. Anthony is rolling over in her grave.

What we have now... is young girls embracing that 1950's life style. Marry rich... and shop all day. Be a pinhead! Only stupid girls get educations. Men don't want a smart girl. They want one who behaves like a hooker.

What they never seem to realize...one day... when your no longer 25, those same men are not willing to pay your bills anymore. And move onto a new 25 year old. So there you are with no skills to earn a living and you have no one to blame but yourself.

What I found more frightening... is that their Mother's don't care that they have daughters that aspire to be nothing.

Whoa, gaby...Great Post!!!

+ Reply to Thread