+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 168 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    Can't stand him!!! I was watching Oprah during her oscar special and i absolutely hate the way she continually looks at the camera.
    I didn't find anything enchanting about Mr. Blunt's performance, either. but he obviously has appeal for some.

I miss my jman's snarking.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I was watching yesterday's ep and pink, though very pretty, looked as if she was ready to b****-slap someone. The topic i reckon was female sexuality and the media. Their was a lot of mentions of needing to make a sex tape to be famous and how some girls aspire to be like paris.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

The past two shows about education in America were really good, if not terribly sad and upsetting. I spent much of both shows near tears over the lack of funding and the deplorable conditions of some of the schools they showed. When they did that exchange between the "inner city" school and the one in the more affluent area, I really was in tears. The looks on the faces of the inner city kids as they walked through that beautiful school and realized all the things they didn't have at their school just said it all.

What I found even more eye-opening was the fact that kids who did very well in high school are still nowhere near prepared for college - even the class valedictorian.

Bill and Melinda Gates are doing so much - they've given billions to help America's schools - but they can't be the only ones doing something. It's scary to think about what will happen in 10 or 20 years if things don't change.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by my3boyz View Post
    I just finished watching James Blunt on Oprah. I have never heard of him. He is so awesome!!! I ordered his cd right away. I can't wait to see what his other songs are like. I just love his voice.
    I must have missed that part. I've watched the show this week, but don't remember a singer. What day was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The past two shows about education in America were really good, if not terribly sad and upsetting. I spent much of both shows near tears over the lack of funding and the deplorable conditions of some of the schools they showed. When they did that exchange between the "inner city" school and the one in the more affluent area, I really was in tears. The looks on the faces of the inner city kids as they walked through that beautiful school and realized all the things they didn't have at their school just said it all.

What I found even more eye-opening was the fact that kids who did very well in high school are still nowhere near prepared for college - even the class valedictorian.

Bill and Melinda Gates are doing so much - they've given billions to help America's schools - but they can't be the only ones doing something. It's scary to think about what will happen in 10 or 20 years if things don't change.
    I didn't see those shows but wish I had. We just had a vote for more money for the schools in our city. Fortunately it passed. That money will just bring us up to the average of the surrounding areas. How sad is that, that to raise the money coming in still makes us only average. And all it costs someone for a $100,000 house is $34 a year, that's less than $3 a month. How pathetic that we have to beg to get money to educate, yet people complain about how these kids are turning out. Sorry to threadjack, it just struck me that I can just picture those poor kids faces.

The money they are raising here is for 18 more schools to have air conditioning. They sent a postcard out to get everyone to vote and showed a picture of a jail cell alongside a school room that said 'One of these is air conditioned, one is not.'

Maybe with Oprah showcasing this problem more people will get behind supporting our schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    I was watching yesterday's ep and pink, though very pretty, looked as if she was ready to b****-slap someone. The topic i reckon was female sexuality and the media. Their was a lot of mentions of needing to make a sex tape to be famous and how some girls aspire to be like paris.
    It was actually about how media, music and society are promoting "stupid girls". Basically how young women, and even women middle age, are still not given a lot of really smart role models. Not that you can't be sexy or pretty....just that you shouldn't be stupid and buy into everything that Hollywood and celebrity-dom or should I say celebrity-DUMB dishes out. Pink's point was that girls are stupid if they are not smart enough to be all that they can be, with their own individuality and distinctions. Trying to copy others, trying to "dumb-yourself-down" just for the sake of popularity, is ridiculous. And it's boring.

They also covered how music videos are taking advantage of the women in them. Primarily because the women are not unionized and can be taken advantage of with no recourse. And how objectified they are.

Pink had to hold her tongue when they talked to a girl who helped convince young girls on spring break to bare their breasts, wear extreme thongs, kiss other girls, and fondle each other in a sexual manner for the Wild Girls Spring Break videos that make millions. These girls are usually very drunk and many need to be convinced it's their 15 min. of fame. The stupid thing is the videos make Millions of $ and the girls get absolutely nothing for baring it. The girl whose job it was to find others to video made money depending on how many girls she "got" and what they "did" for the video. The video girl didn't think she was doing anything really wrong by convincing other girls to "perform" on camera. This REALLY TICKED OFF PINK. I wanted to hear what she had to say but then Oprah segwayed into something else. Drat!

It is interesting how women think they are being strong, and sexually expressive and in control, when in many cases, they have just been successfully manipulated into thinking just that. That fact is, if you consider how things have progressed in a downward spin for women in general, we've lost more control and respect than we think we actually have.

I think a great point is that many women today, young and old, are extremely "suggestive" as in someone "suggests" that doing this or wearing that make you hip, cool, sexy, in control, etc. when all that is happening is you are following some man's or corporation's desires of what he/it wants you to be. It's incredibly powerful marketing. Just marketing that doesn't help women aspire to be all that they can with who they really are.

I really like the psychologist Robin who is on the show. She's a smart cookie. All in all I was quite impressed with the discussion.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Unfortunately, we are overrun by "stupid girls" right now.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Thanks for the correction, Misskitty.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me

This is one thing I'm not liking about Oprah these days. She's two-faced.

One day she's talking about women being smart, who they are, to love themselves for their insides, not their outsides, how they need to be financially smart and keep a budget, blah blah blah. And next she's pimping Oscar DeLarenta's amazingly beautiful clothes, that are totally out of reach for the everyday American woman.

And all she could really say was "wow", "wow", ....... and more "wow". I was totally embarassed for her. She didn't seem to have any ideas about design, fabric, or even know enough to discuss anything with Oscar himself. Yes, he is an amazing man. He lives an amazing life. And then, she has the xxxx to ask him how is it that he has a "black" son? Why the dickens point that out, especially with his "white" daughter sitting next to him? How ridiculous. I really couldn't care less. It's no-one's business.

She's sending confusing messages to her public. To women.

She looked very much like a bit of a "stupid girl" herself that day IMO.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

She said that she enjoys being wealthy, if i'm not mistaken.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me

+ Reply to Thread