+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 168 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife
    I had heard on the radio or something recently that Katie was a virgin...in fact, they were discussing their thoughts that this was all indeed for publicity and he had originally considered Kate Bosworth, but knew she was not as "wholesome" as Katie would appear.

Has anyone heard this same rumor?
    That would explain his state of hysteria and why he's already talking about marrying her! It's just pent up sexual frustration!

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    but wasn't she living with chris klein?
    Will and Grace lived together too and nothing ever happened there
    and wouldn't it be difficult to do all this traveling and overnight stays with tom cruise (or anyone that you find hot) and stay a virgin?
    I remember him saying that he covered her room with rose petals - not their room.

At this point, it feels less like a publicity stunt than serious lust. If we're still hearing about this in a year, then I'll believe it's more than that.

Does anyone remember when Tom Cruise was on Oprah's show years ago promoting Interview With a Vampire? Oprah apparently walked out of the movie screening maybe 30 minutes in because she hated all the blood and gore. She told Tom the night before and explained that, if he didn't want to do the show, she'd understand. He did show up and had a lot of unfavorable comments about the movie. The best part was when this woman in the audience stood up to say she didn't like the movie and that just wasn't the Tom Cruise she knew from An Officer and a Gentleman. He looked at her and said "That was Richard Gere." (and then he laughed his ass off!) She looked like she wanted to sink into the floor! I'm not his biggest fan, but I admired the fact that he honored his commitment to be on the show, even though he knew the host (and probably a good portion of the audience) did not like the movie he was there to promote.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thats a good one to know I didn't know that about him and that movie. It does seem that all those who know him really, really like him genuinely and have really high regard for him as a person. Most people when interviewed seem to have loved working with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood
    Thats a good one to know I didn't know that about him and that movie. It does seem that all those who know him really, really like him genuinely and have really high regard for him as a person. Most people when interviewed seem to have loved working with him.
    He really did handle himself well on that show. Oprah was really working the whole "This movie is about vampires and that equals Satan and that just puts bad energy into the universe and I'm opposed to that..." b.s. and he just nodded and told her that he respected her opinion and that people had their right to differing opinions. Frankly, it was one of the first (but not the last) times that I watched the show and said "Wow, Oprah's kind of a bitch."

I didn't really like Interview With a Vampire either but I didn't think it was created by Satan or anything. You know, kudos to Tom for trying something different. He definitely wasn't as bad as I thought he was going to be in that role (which should have gone to Julian Sands, imo).... then again, I was pretty much expecting "Tom Cruise as the Count" (from Sesame Street).... imagine it: "That's one! two! three! prostitutes I kill!"
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    "Frankly, it was one of the first (but not the last) times that I watched the show and said "Wow, Oprah's kind of a bitch."

"I was pretty much expecting "Tom Cruise as the Count" (from Sesame Street).... imagine it: "That's one! two! three! prostitutes I kill!"
    Okay both of those comments were great... as much as I enjoy the show, most of the time. Oprah has came off bitchy more than once to a guest.

And Oprah drives me crazy when her friend "Gail" is there. Gail is never allowed to finish her own sentence. Ever. Oprah just steps all over Gail as she is trying to complete a thought. It is annoying.

(And the "That's one! two! three! prostitutes I kill!"... was just priceless.)

Then that whole leaping around the set thing with Mr. Cruise was just weird. Then the people were yelling questions out to him. And ole Tom was answering them. Oprah had no control over squat that afternoon and you know that did not please her. Plus what exactly happen to her clothes as of late? She keeps on wearing things that are not exactly flattering... and lord knows she has the money to have the very best. But in the last few months I find it hard to believe she is getting dress with the lights on...

I only watched about 10 minutes of the Tom Cruise show and that was enough. It was as if he was over caffinated or thought love equals leaping around. I found him annoying. On the radio yesterday morning the dj's were talking about how many people think it's a faked romance just to get publiticy.

I'm not sure if it's faked or not, but if I was her after watching him, I'd get out of the relationship, he just seemed too odd.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I only watched about 10 minutes of the Tom Cruise show and that was enough. It was as if he was over caffinated or thought love equals leaping around. I found him annoying. On the radio yesterday morning the dj's were talking about how many people think it's a faked romance just to get publiticy.

I'm not sure if it's faked or not, but if I was her after watching him, I'd get out of the relationship, he just seemed too odd.
    There was a whole article today in the International Herald Tribune about celebrity relationships in general, but mostly about the two of them. It was reprinted from the NY Times. Basically much the same speculation as above; what a coincidence they both have movies coming out this summer...etc. A bit icky that he was her first crush when she saw him in Risky Business at age 4--kind of underlines the age dif.!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I found him just as irritating to watch as Robin Williams. Luckily, I taped it, so I could just ff through the really annoying parts (yes, it took me maybe 20 minutes to watch the show ). All I can say is this: That girl must be verrry talented

My sentiments exactly!!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    There was a whole article today in the International Herald Tribune about celebrity relationships in general, but mostly about the two of them. It was reprinted from the NY Times. Basically much the same speculation as above; what a coincidence they both have movies coming out this summer...etc.
    It looks very fake to me. He kisses her like Michael Jackson kissed Lisa Marie.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I don't know why--since I'm at work all day--but I've been catching bits & pieces of Oprah, either her show or pieces about her, more lately. It's been years (like 10) since I watched with any regularity. To me, either my tolerance level has gotten very low, or she's become exponentially more annoying over the years. I think I've seen her with her dog on about 3 different shows lately, always mentioning her dog's celebrity dog friends. Name dropping dogs' owners' names? That's just weak, especially if you're worth gazillions of dollars yourself.

Critical, I remember that Oprah ep about Interview with the Vampire...I never could figure out why Oprah was so weirded out by the movie's themes. It seemed so put-on, a *really* obvious pander to her audience. I remember distinctly that when she was just getting started doing her show nationally, she had a whole gaggle of witches on a couple of different shows and really got that kind of stuff sirred up. (Now, had she been weirded out by the crap casting of the movie, I'd have understood, but that's a whole other topic.)

i actually like oprah, though i rarely watch her. i'll set the dvr when she has a guest i want to see, but that's it. however, her outfit the day she interviewed tom was awful. it was a pretty pink and i liked the ruffle on the bottom of her skirt, but it was made for a slim woman. all the puckering and folds around the waist were no bueno on oprah. plus, it looked like it was twisted. the zipper in the front was all cockeyed.

+ Reply to Thread