+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 168 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Thanks gaby for the insight. I don't keep up with celeb stuff much so I guess I fell for his acting job.

I also agree with you prhoshy. Oprah has such a huge audience and influence I wish she would spend the air time discussing important issues rather than big celebrity issues.

Like today. I think the smartest part of the show was the journalist who said to get rid of webcams in children's bedrooms! They don't need 'em. I'm glad the young man has his life on track, gave the evidence to the FBI, and was helped by the journalist to hopefully bring down these creeps with his computer records. The boy's father should be jailed for what he did. And I don't understand why the mother didn't suspect anything considering her job and training. I think it's very true that some of these seedy pedophiles look like, act like and seem normal like your neighbor.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I also agree with you prhoshy. Oprah has such a huge audience and influence I wish she would spend the air time discussing important issues rather than big celebrity issues.

I think it's very true that some of these seedy pedophiles look like, act like and seem normal like your neighbor.
    Parents, please don't assume that your "normal" neighbors are "not interested in" messing up your child's lives."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'd even say that pedophiles make it their business to fit in or blend in - they depend on adults trusting them alone with their children. Sick, but true. They usually look like anyone else, not sometimes. Usually.

Anyone who wants to try to understand how to make things safer for kids, Andrew Vachss website - child advocate there are some articles on there, but you'll have to dig around, I haven't been in a while. There's also a great article he wrote about internet safety.

Some of his stuff gets very blunt, so be prepared. He's also in Parade Magazine a lot, and he's appeared on Oprah's show before, too. (See - I'm on topic!)

The sad truth is that pedophiles make it their 'job' 24/7 targeting children so those who take care of kids (parents, caregivers) had better be on guard 24/7 or all but, too. I know that sounds terrible. But at least there are things out there to read or view that tells you how to do this without making your children tense or living in fear.

Rumi: I was referring to Kathy's jokes for a while now, that Oprah and Gayle are lovers. ALLEGEDLY.

Oh - thanks BRANDY
    just popped into this thread and have not read all the back pages.

Gay or not - I think she is wonderful and has really helped educate America at so may levels
    Support the FORT - Go Green

Oprah has a follow up episode on Hurricane Katrina today, along with Lisa Ling & Anderson Cooper.

I know people find her a bit heavy handed, at times, but good for her for revisiting the recovery status.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

That's a good deed if she did that. Katrina's been falling out of the news a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi View Post
    I know people find her a bit heavy handed, at times, but good for her for revisiting the recovery status.
    I caught the last half of the show and thought the same thing! Hopefully, the people there won't be forgotten.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

The people HAVE been forgotten or at least not taken care of. That's the sadness of it all. Five long months later. It really makes the US Government look somewhat incompetant, or FIMA anyways.

Boy. Oprah sure goes from serious to fluff in a hurry.

I like Marc Jacobs but can't afford any of his or Yves St. Laurant's stuff. It's nice to see his success story. Can't get any of it up here though.

Loved the story of Jimmy Choos. I never knew a woman was behind the man. Great success story, but I got a little peeved at her whining about how tough being a single mom can be. Like she doesn't have help or the money. Pretty tough to be home by 6pm to take care of your baby girl for 1.5 hours. Now that's parenthood. Sheesh. Glad the father is getting it together for the daughter's sake. And to portray her story of one that the average American woman can become is a bit overstated. After all, her father and mother were heavy duty movers, shakers, and success stories. Not every girl gets out of school with the contacts she had to get the experience she got. Mind you, I give her lots of credit for learning and putting her smarts to great success!

Cool to see the Barbara that Barbie was named after. Nice history there. I have some Barbie dolls and a Scooter somewhere in my parents basement. It's amazing to see how worldwide the doll has become and the lengths Mattel goes to for secrecy. What an amazing world of toys there is.

I LOVE - LOVE - LOVE ELMO. He can tickle me anytime . I'm actually surprised that Oprah didn't point out that the puppeteer was "black". Not that it wasn't obvious. I wonder if she would have had him on if he wasn't. ?? Just wondering. Nothing against him.

Doesn't it just bite though, when everyone brings Oprah freebies. Like, she can't afford them? New wallet, new shoes, new Barbie. It's a great marketing opportunity for them. I wonder if she realizes that it may not be "all about her". Again, just wondering.

Had lots of fun today watching, being critical, smarmy, and judgemental. Heck I need to do that at least once a day!

I LOVE Elmo too! I knew the puppeteer was Black from past Black history moments but it was hilarious to see him do the voice in person. I loved it!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

+ Reply to Thread