+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 168 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

I agree! I hope he can find his way. He can do it (if he's going to be in show biz anyway) for the art, and to help others (rather than bowing to yes-men or listening to agents tell him what to do or when)... that may help and be his rudder, so to speak. And if he has spiritual faith that may help too.

I pretty much agree with the last few posts here too. In his broken kind of way he did get across how crazy, fickle and demanding Hollywood can be. I sympathize because I get a feeling Dave loves what he does, his skits were crazy and a bit off the cuff then here it is you're give $50 million dollars and naturally expectations are going to rise. Now more than ever every one around him is hanging on his every word, worried if this skit good enough, etc. that's a LOT of pressure.
    It made me think of a friend who bakes very, very good. His desserts are so good just about everyone who tastes it wonders why he doesn't go into business but he says he simply enjoys baking, it's a stress relief and he doesn't want it to turn into a case where he has to perform because that'll take the joy out of it. I understand that. Essentially that's what I thought Dave was saying.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman79 View Post
    The only thing I am not sure about is Dave's friend. In fairness, we haven't heard from him and I have just have a gut feeling that the guy was probably loyal to him. I think Dave was left in position where he didn't know who to trust, but like Gayle, they knew each other for years.

Its hard enough in life to figure out who to trust, add money and fame and it can be rough. Dave is probably too nice for showbiz.
    Dave said that the whole time that his "friend" never called him to check on him, even though he kept the same cell phone number the entire time, and that he still hasn't heard from him 'til this day (day of the interview). That would send a hard message to me if it was a supposedly longtime friend of mine. Dave said that all of the time that negative things were being said about him in the media, the so-called friend never said a word to rebut the negativity;a true friend would have spoken up. At this point in time, I don't see what could be important about what the "friend" would have to say; as far as Dave is concerned, he said it all with his silence. I do not disagree. Sometimes, silence really screams.

I think Dave got a wake-up call, and I think he is going to be not as naive about people and society as he probably has been in the past.

The only person Dave spoke positively about during this interview was his brother. His brother was the only person he told that he was going to Africa.

I'm no professional or anything, but I'd like to see Dave surround himself with a few loyal persons who are able to keep him grounded.....like Gayle and Stedman do for Oprah. And I'd make sure that there was limited access to him by way too many people. If I were him, they'd have to be closely screened before they finally got to me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic
    Yeah, maybe the guy didn't knew how to react. Some "friends" just don't know to interject when someone is in crisis.

Afte reading some of the posts, I think Dave saw the "darkside" of Hollywood and he really didn't have good people around to be helpful. When I think being kept "grounded" I always equate the too having a huge ego. I don't think that's Dave's problem. He probably needed better agents, publicists to guide him.

I have seen Barry Manilow interviewed on Entertainment Tonight and if I remember correctly years ago he thought he had MILLIONS in his bank account, cause he trusted everyone around him. He later found out that all he had was $11,000. I think he said he just had to "start over" not always easy, but sometimes that's what you have to do.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Doesn't he have a kid and a wife, also?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    Doesn't he have a kid and a wife, also?
    Yeah, he is married and his 2 kids.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman79 View Post
    Yeah, maybe the guy didn't knew how to react. Some "friends" just don't know to interject when someone is in crisis.

Afte reading some of the posts, I think Dave saw the "darkside" of Hollywood and he really didn't have good people around to be helpful. When I think being kept "grounded" I always equate the too having a huge ego. I don't think that's Dave's problem. He probably needed better agents, publicists to guide him.

I have seen Barry Manilow interviewed on Entertainment Tonight and if I remember correctly years ago he thought he had MILLIONS in his bank account, cause he trusted everyone around him. He later found out that all he had was $11,000. I think he said he just had to "start over" not always easy, but sometimes that's what you have to do.

OK, think about it. Haven't you always known that it's important to let someone who's miserable know that you care and are concerned? I don't mean a casual acquaintance, as such, but if it's someone you've been working closely with, known for quite a long time, and see and talk to on a regular basis? I mean this guy was important in Dave's life and career. Come on, now....no excuses.

I remember Oprah giving advice to Toni Braxton, I think, whose financial managers had been less than truthful about her money and she found that she didn't have any in spite of all of her mega-hits. I will never forget it; Oprah told her that you must sign ALL of the checks so that you will know what is going on. Great advice!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Oprah is a good businesswoman; no one can fault her in that department. Generous financially as she can be with her employees, I'm sure she knows where dime one is.

OH, that is painful to hear that about David's so-called "Friend". Maybe there is some explanation but I can't fathom one. If someone is a friend, and a friend is in need, emotionally or any other way... especially if they are going through a crisis in their life, you at LEAST phone and say "How are you?" or "Can I help?" even. I agree, no excuses (unless the friend was somehow unable to physically!).

But that hits close to home for me. I went through a horrible year last year, with deaths close to us in our family, and illness, etc. A "friend" knew - and not one get well card. Not one phone call. Not one email even! This was a close friend for many years! I know she knew about all these things - I told her. I even emailed, to say where are you? Much later, I got a letter that was really odd and rambling and vicious.

It was a hard way to find out, but a lot of people out there are 'fair weather friends'. Which means, no friend at all. Unfortunately the only way to find out which, is to have something terrible happen to you. But this happens a lot to many people; I have seen I dunno how many biographies or stories on Tv or read life stories too, and you hear this phrase often: "I found out who my real friends were." Sad, isn't it. Sorry if that was Too Much Information but it's just one example. It's how I know it wasn't anything Dave did - he just had a lousy "friend".

Oh and there is NO such thing as a caring agent or publicist. They are in it for money. And that thing about being robbed by a manager happened to Billy Joel too, and Debbie Reynolds. Probably many others. Now I know why so many stars hire their families.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Of course as many child stars found out, sometimes you can't even trust your family!
    Re the friend...of course there is always the chance that the friend was going through his OWN crisis at the time...his health, family member's, etc., and either didn't have time for Dave's crisis or wondered why Dave didn't call HIM in HIS darkest hour.... Friends of celebrities do have their own lives after all!
    So his wife and kids were no comfort?

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    About Dave Chappelle...How weird do you think it makes me feel to say that I think I understand where he was coming from?? ...
    No need to feel weird, prhoshay, because I feel the same way as you do about Dave. IMHO, Dave is not "crazy", but I think that the situations/scenarios around him, right before he went to South Africa were crazy. And, regarding the way that Dave was speaking, well, yes, at many times, it was hard to understand what he was saying. But, I believe that may stem from Dave not really being used to talking about himself or his feelings. The jokes and other on-stage stuff may come easier for him. But, I understood where he was coming from. And, his commentary on black men wearing dresses in movies (as per his own experience, where he refused to do so) was dead on. I threw a fist in the air, on that score Dave strikes me as a highly intelligent, observant, and thoughtful man.

I hope that Dave can come back to Comedy Central, but on his own terms and with his own people (those of his choosing). That network is not the same without him.

Cat

+ Reply to Thread