+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

FORT Fanatic
    I watched today's show with Dave Chappelle and I know this may not make sense, but it seems like he is making excuses for himself.

When this whole thing was going on I think Howard Stern hit on something and he is probably right. That Dave didn't expect the show to take off like it did.

I honestly don't think Dave is doing drugs, but he does seem paranoid. I think their are some people who just can't handle success and I think Dave is probably one of them.

It is sort of sad in a way. I don't think he will ever come back to Comedy Central. Its sad when someone gives everything up, because they can't handle success and some of the pressures of it.

I mean this in all honestly, I think Oprah would be good at counseling him on success and the pressures of money and fame. If anyone knows, Oprah does. Dave can say he likes fame, but I really don't believe he does nor thr amount of money he was making. I think success made him lose it. I read an article a few months ago, where he was performing in clubs with 300 people.
    Last edited by jman79; 02-03-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    He's also supposed to appear on The Actors studio which i dont want to miss.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I just saw the show with Dave, and frankly it was disturbing. The man is not running on all four cylinders. I don't know if he is on some kind of medication, or he is truly not mentally well, but something else is going on. His thought process was erratic and Oprah was having to "walk him" through the interview. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by horsnhound View Post
    I just saw the show with Dave, and frankly it was disturbing. The man is not running on all four cylinders. I don't know if he is on some kind of medication, or he is truly not mentally well, but something else is going on. His thought process was erratic and Oprah was having to "walk him" through the interview. Very strange.
    I completely agree! It would take him, ohh, about an hour to finally answer a question. And just when you would think, "Okay I'm getting it, his reason is....he was lost...he was tired...and..." And then he would lose you! He kept saying that he was doing "socially irresponsible" things on the show and being pushed by people. It was just so unclear. He talked for an hour but after watching the show, I was more baffled. My husband asked me what he said on the show; what his reasons were and I could not answer for the life of me.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

FORT Fanatic
    Yeah, I also found him hard to understand, but maybe it was just me. I kept during the volume up.

Nothing made sense in the interview. He left because "someone lauhged the wrong way" "He wants to give the money to the people"

I still believe he couldn't handle success. What is a little ironic, that after he left the show his dvd sales went through the roof.

I agree with you jman. It had to be unbelievable pressure. From a little-known comic with a small 'cult' following to a superstar everyone's talking about. And it happened without his doing a lot of publicity or courting the fame. Just out of nowhere, 'Boom'. That plus the money and being the headliner on his show must have done it. Not only the pressure of sudden fame but also the pressure to keep being as funny, original, all the things people were saying about him. That has to be lethal to comedy writing.

I remember thinking at the time that he was just not cut out for all that attention so fast and furious, and when he calmed down he'd probably give his show another go, on his own terms. And the show would then be bigger than ever.

I think it's good he wants to give some of his money to those less fortunate. $50 million for telling jokes IS crazy, if you think about it. There are people dying in the world for lack of one good meal. I think his response to fame was actually sane. But it does sound like he's still in need of some R & R or something.

The Actors Studio show will be two hours long! He's not even an actor, is he? But a comedian. That show has become kind of watered-down in my opinion. But I do wish Chappelle all best wishes.

I don't know if this has been posted yet but for all the Eva Longoria & Tony Parker fans, the couple will interviewed by Oprah on the show on Monday February 6th. I can't wait to watch, I'm a Tony/Spurs/Desp Housewives fan!
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    About Dave Chappelle...How weird do you think it makes me feel to say that I think I understand where he was coming from?? I could be wrong, but I'm going to tell you what I saw when I watched him on the show. I'm going to try to keep this short. What I saw was a man who has come to the realization that nothing in his career (which has been going on since high school) is what he thought it was, and who is still trying to wrap his mind around this. One tiny thing...the man laughing...turned on the light for him...and led him to realize that he was being exploited by virtually everybody surrounding him...and he saw that it was about the money. He came to realize that if he didn't have the money, most of those people wouldn't have any use for him. It was all about him and what he could do for them; this had nothing to do with anybody really caring anything about him. I think the thing that ended up hurting him the most was that his long-time writing partner (his "friend" since high school) also appeared to be one of them; he seriously let Dave down. I'm sure now he's going to be wondering whom he can trust, and whom he can't....my guess is that he won't, at all, be trusting the motives of people in his business. I think the man is really hurting and extremely disappointed by the human nature that he has had to acknowledge.

Actually, it's a good awakening and one that needed to be realized. It was painful, but necessary for his growth. Hopefully, he has touched the bottom, and is on his way back up to be bigger and better than ever (and wiser, too)!

Loved the saying, "Success can take you where character cannot sustain you."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Very well said prhoshay and I agree totally!!

That's the sense I had too although I did not know the part about his friend, and I couldn't say it as well as you have just now. L.A. is a very fake place, and show business in L.A. even faker! It's what I meant when I said his reaction was actually a very sane one.

I do hope he can hold it together and find a person or people who he can rely on and trust. That's hard to do though! But he's already learned something important which is trust yourself and to thine own self be true!

Maybe he should do what Andy Kaufman did, and take a job as a busboy at Jerry's Deli in Studio City on his off hours

FORT Fanatic
    I actually think Dave is a really good person, and showbiz was not really for him. I think their are a lot of people who would like to be rich and famous, but I don't think a lot of people see the other side of it. You really have to keep yourself around a good group of people to keep a "stable" mind set.

I know I crack on Oprah and Gayle, but Oprah is an icon and I think its probably carthatic in a sense that she mentions Gayle so much, because Gayle knew her WAY before she was famous and I think Oprah can trust Gayle more than anyone. I think Gayle probably keeps Oprah healthy. Even Stedman met her while she already had the show, although she wasn't a true A lister at the time.

The only thing I am not sure about is Dave's friend. In fairness, we haven't heard from him and I have just have a gut feeling that the guy was probably loyal to him. I think Dave was left in position where he didn't know who to trust, but like Gayle, they knew each other for years.

Its hard enough in life to figure out who to trust, add money and fame and it can be rough. Dave is probably too nice for showbiz.

+ Reply to Thread