+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 168 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I just ran across a well-written article/column on the Oprah/James Frey situation on the NYTimes web site. (You may need to register to see the article; I'm not sure.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/30/bu...ia/30carr.html

(I just love that "truthiness" is catching on. )

Great article, PhoneGrrrl! (Didn't have to register to read it, btw.) And don't forget the man who *invented* the word "truthiness".
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by babydollbrat View Post
    I agree that Frey needed to be called out. I dont' agree with the way Oprah did it. She really went overboard with the raking over the coals she gave him. There was no need of it. She should have blasted the publisher more. Frey had shopped the book as fiction many times. After the book came out, before Oprah chose it for the book club, there were sites debating the controversy of it. The publisher should have fact-checked but in my opinion Oprah also should have had it fact-checked. She knows her word is "gospel" to millions of people and I think it's her duty to have all facts before she "preaches" to her fans. Oprah needs to accept responsiblity too. She was just trying to save face. I don't think she did it for her fans...I think she did it for herself. JMHO. As for the dentist visit, whose to say that is not how he remembers it? I have to laugh at my brother when he is telling storied from our childhood.........you would think we grew up in seperate houses! How one person remembers things may not be how another remembers. I also think being an addict, his memories would be cloudy anyway.
    I will be surprised if Frey makes it through this without a relapse......or worse!
    I one hundred percent agree with your post.

FORT Fanatic
    Unfortunately, not one of the best picks of O. Looks like she was caught off guard. But kinda funny.

http://amiannoying.com/(rzsxl445ws0q...ew.aspx?ID=177

FORT Fanatic
    It seems like controversy is not hurting sales. #1 one in sales in non-fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...604881-7889644

New York Times® Best Sellers: Paperback Nonfiction
    Week of January 29, 2006

A Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club)
    by James Frey
    Avg. Customer Review:

And on amazon its the 6th most popular non-fiction book searched. Although, that changes hourly. There is almost some sort of press on James Frey everyday, and every amount of publicity bad or good, it is still a plug for the book

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    His literary agent finally dumped him.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've seen people online who still swear it's all true (his book). So those must be the types buying it still. I'd guess.

That link is interesting but claims Oprah is a vegetarian. I could swear I've heard her talk about eating chicken. Chickens aren't vegetables!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by jman79 View Post

But there are people who are put in unstable situations/ conditions and it does drive them over the edge. There are lots of examples of this.

Mindy McCready(Oprah, she was in a very fragile state)
    I saw that show and I was extremely uncomfortable watching it. It seemed like Oprah and the counselor in the audience were trying to make Mindy feel even worse for making the choices she need. They didn't seem to feel any sympathy or concern for her well-being. I saw her being made an example of how not to do things and it didn't seem like Mindy was ready for that. It was almost like Mindy was the child and Oprah was the mother with a psychologist(?)/counselor to back her up.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky View Post
    I saw that show and I was extremely uncomfortable watching it. It seemed like Oprah and the counselor in the audience were trying to make Mindy feel even worse for making the choices she need. They didn't seem to feel any sympathy or concern for her well-being. I saw her being made an example of how not to do things and it didn't seem like Mindy was ready for that. It was almost like Mindy was the child and Oprah was the mother with a psychologist(?)/counselor to back her up.
    I don't think they were necessarily trying to make her feel worse; I think it was more of trying to open her eyes and getting that "aha" light to come on. I think they were trying to get her to recognize that she was more valuable than she was treating herself; I think we can all agree that she definitely didn't see any value in herself.

The sad thing about people like Mindy is, you can see what's going on, and they may acknowledge it, but their actions tell you that they don't believe it. It's very sad. I think they were pleading and begging for her to save her life. Mindy is the only one who can save Mindy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Oprah used to be like that too... I wonder if she'd have responded well if someone browbeat her into trying to see the light. It just seems to me like once she got up the hill she looked down on those still climbing it. But everyone climbs at their own pace.

I hope Mindy is OK now. (But thanks for another way to look at it, prhoshay.)

+ Reply to Thread