+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 168 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I'm still trying to understand anyone who can go to the dentist without novocaine?? OK, so are you people turned on with the presence of pain???

At age 7, when the dentist tried to fill a cavity with no novocaine.........I've not been the same...........and my (now) dentist understood that. I've not been the same since........but he understood.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'm still trying to understand anyone who can go to the dentist without novocaine?? OK, so are you people turned on with the presence of pain???

At age 7, when the dentist tried to fill a cavity with no novocaine.........I've not been the same...........and my (now) dentist understood that. I've not been the same since........but he understood.
    Great, I have to come to yor defense

I think the poster meant cavity and not root canal, I would like to talk a person who had a root canal without novocaine, because I would think it would be almost impossible.

I have had fillings done without novocaine once or twice and it is like eating aluminum foil. Pure torture. Hopefully, I won't need any more fillings, but when I have had them done in the past, I ask for extra novocaine.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    OK, y'all, I feel we need to bring this back OT...and it's my fault for even bringin up the no novacaine thing in the first place.

Jman79, as an avid watcher of Madame Oprah, didja see the Brokeback Mountain ep? I'm curious how Oprah handled it. I haven't watched her regularly in years, but I do remember her grilling Tom Cruise on his choice of a gay character in "Interview with the Vampire".

FORT Fanatic
    I wasn't attacking you with the novocaine, but it really is unheard of him to have a root canal without it(and that's what James was talking about). Its not uncommon for people not to use novocaine for regular fillings, but to me, I can't handle the pain.

I saw bits and peaces of brokeback on oprah, but was so frustrated with the show before, that I kept switching. I read another forum and they said Jake looked really good, and he did, from the parts I saw They said Heath didn't. I saw him and still thought he looked good. Someone wrote she gave too much away, but I really didn't see enough to know, if she or didn't.

I think it was only part of the show. I don't remember the other half. I saw brokeback and thought it was just so-so? Did you see it?? I am going to see transamerica today. Looks interesting.
    Last edited by jman79; 01-28-2006 at 09:16 AM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    OK, y'all, I feel we need to bring this back OT...and it's my fault for even bringin up the no novacaine thing in the first place.

Jman79, as an avid watcher of Madame Oprah, didja see the Brokeback Mountain ep? I'm curious how Oprah handled it. I haven't watched her regularly in years, but I do remember her grilling Tom Cruise on his choice of a gay character in "Interview with the Vampire".
    They are discussing this on the Movies thread further down the site, under Brokeback Mtn.--which got very favorable reviews there.

I've heard of people who cannot tolerate novocaine and/or upon whom it has no effect. People with liver problems, past prescription drug interactions, nerve damage etc., etc. They also cannot tolerate something like laughing gas. It's not that they don't want to or like pain! They don't have a choice.

(I didn't see this author talk about that, so I have no idea what his case is.)

jman said:

When you have power you need to be responsible.
    THAT is it in a nutshell. The Hermes incident, and this one too. I think even Oprah's die hard fans can't argue with that one. Being more careful can only help her cause.
    Last edited by Brandy; 01-29-2006 at 02:52 AM.

I disagree totally, sorry. I'm not about to argue about it, but you addressed me personally, so I'm replying.

If someone is unstable and/or extremely depressed, added stress or harassment can certainly drive them to a desperate act such as suicide.

As for driving himself to a hospital and commiting himself - well, places like that don't even really exist any more. Most places will put someone on a two or three day hold only as long as they're deemed a real and immediate danger to themselves - and it's a lot harder to commit oneself or someone else than most people realise.

Also this statement overlooks the fact that a person attempting to commit suicide is NOT in a rational frame of mind. If all it took was driving oneself to get help (wherever that magical place is), there would be no suicides.

Oprah should have a full time shrink on staff, in my opinion and consult them in situations such as this.

Brandy No-one DRIVES anyone else to suicide. It is a personal choice although not necessarily made in a balanced state of mind. However, should Mr. Frey decide to do himself in, I don't believe it would be anyone's fault but his own. If he's even alluding to that, he should check himself into a clinic. Lord knows, he has the money now.

FORT Fanatic
    I agree with Brandy, but my opinion has changed on James Frey. I believe he is a sociopath, just my personal opinion, I could be wrong. If not a sociopath a con man. In both appearances, James seemed withdrawn. His books sales have inscreased. If you can write a memior and con people, you can surely do it on national tv.

But there are people who are put in unstable situations/ conditions and it does drive them over the edge. There are lots of examples of this.

Dana Plato(Howard Stern)

Mindy McCready(Oprah, she was in a very fragile state)

The show Jenny Jones had with the "gay crush"(in fact there are reports that the producers often offfered "drinks" to guests, before her shows)

Dr Phil (had a very unstable woman on a few weeks, she was "fragile" and had no business being on national tv)

Jerry Springer (Everyone thinks the show is fake, yet there has been a few murders of people killing each other after his show. You can google it)

Big Brother (is dangerous, they do have therapy for the contestants after the show. That just shows you how dangerous that show is, if a network is offering therapy)

Bertice Berry( a man beat up his girlfriend after appearing)

Extreme Makeover(There was a woman who was suppose to be on the show, but never made it on. Her sister was told to call her "ugly" by the producers. In guilt, the sister killed herself. Not the woman who was suppose to go on the show)

I am sure there has also been cases of severe PT stress after appearing on talk shows. Aidan Quinn said it best on "the view" they are bad car accidents.

Oprah and Dr Philoffit just knows how to manipulate viewers, better than the rest. Bring a woman who had 26 cosmetic surgeries on national tv, is just wrong. Can you imagine, all the comments she probably heard after going on Oprah. It is only driving her plastic surgery obsession

Oprah talks with them for 52 minutes, and then spits them out. Trust me, she really doesn't care too much about these people afterwards.

At least with Howard Stern, you know what you are getting. The only talk show that seems responsible right now is Montel Williams. But he is a little boring. When you are responsible its not as interesting.

Robin Quivers said it best, no one in showbiz is that nice. They care about themselves. When I jokingly posted before about Oprah's inner psyche, I did that because in some ways, its the truth. The hosts are like the viewers, when you are at home watching and saying this person is an idiot, the host probably doesn't feel a whole lot differently.

Talks shows aren't nice, they are guilty pleasures.

So yes, these shows do need to be responsible. They prey on "fragile" people. I just don't think James is fragile, though. Just a slime ball. Could be wrong.
    Last edited by jman79; 01-29-2006 at 10:37 AM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Just saw on CNN today that according to the NY Times best sellers in paperback, Frey's book is #2 on the NON-fiction list! Hmmmm
    Oprah's next book, Night, is #1.

FORT Fanatic
    Yes, I do have to laugh. After all this, it seems things have backfired for Lady O. She has that dumb sticker stuck on " A million little pieces" and its still doing well.

I think we will see James do some interviews this week, as well. Her credibly has been "shot" some. But Oprah always recovers. Brandy, we are stuck with her, till at least '09 I think.

I do have a question though. Was Phil Donahue subjects anything like Oprah, before she went on the air?? He must really hate her

+ Reply to Thread