+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 168 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 1676

Thread: Oprah

  1. #471
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    564
    With all this publicity the book is going to stay a best seller for awhile. And is still high on the charts. My mom told me not to worry, he has plenty of money. See even at 26, sometimes you still need your mom to be a mother hen

    Maybe James behavior during the show was more of an "act" It really is hard to believe anything he says/ or his body lanugage, that can even be toyed with.

    He was an inspiration for a lot of people who have delt with subtance abuse problems, and manipulated a lot of them.
    Last edited by jman79; 01-27-2006 at 06:27 AM.

  2. #472
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    943
    She's damned either way. If she wasnt hard on him, people would have criticized her for being soft and now people are saying she was too hard on him. What more do you want from her? She said she made a mistake and is embarassed. Isnt that what people have been asking from her? I think those who dont like her anyways are just using this minor IMO incident to throw her under the bus.

  3. #473
    Rock Stars! bbnbama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Age
    48
    Posts
    10,755
    I haven't read the book but with all this controversy, it makes me want to go out and buy it.....people like me will continue to keep it on the charts for awhile....

    I didn't watch the episode but have only watched clips on all the major news networks but from what I've seen-I did feel somewhat sorry for Mr. Frey. He seemed to have a deer in headlights look about him. I'm a Oprah fan and thought she handled herself well.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

  4. #474
    all hot air Ana Bannana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in the palm of the mitten
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by jman79 View Post
    Maybe James behavior during the show was more of an "act" It really is hard to believe anything he says/ or his body lanugage, that can even be toyed with.
    Perhaps material for another book.

    Tom Joyner morning show today were discussing the episode (which I missed). They feel that Oprah is pissed because "Oprah got got."
    I just have a hard time with her coming to his defense on Larry King, and then this confrontation on her show.
    But I still love Oprah.

  5. #475
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy View Post
    She's damned either way. If she wasnt hard on him, people would have criticized her for being soft and now people are saying she was too hard on him. What more do you want from her? She said she made a mistake and is embarassed. Isnt that what people have been asking from her? I think those who dont like her anyways are just using this minor IMO incident to throw her under the bus.

    I don't think that at all. I think people on the internet are more judgemental because its a forum where people talk about television, and people have many views.

    In general, the public loves oprah, and it really isn't damned either way. If you watch morning tv, almost everyone is giving Oprah praise.

    Matt Lauer did ask why she even called Larry King though. And from his tone, I don't think he totally agreed with Oprah.

    When I post about Oprah, I kid around for the most part. The hermes incident annoyed me, but the Gayle King stuff is just "snark" and met in a "teasey" Tina Fey kind of way
    Last edited by jman79; 01-27-2006 at 11:15 AM.

  6. #476
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    223
    I haven't read the book and I didn't see yesterday's show, only the clips. I'm just wondering, did she say what turned her around about the book? Was it a specific moment, incident or piece of evidence that got her to realize that she had been wrong about it all along? Thanks

  7. #477
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,498
    Quote Originally Posted by jman79 View Post
    When I post about Oprah, I kid around for the most part. The hermes incident annoyed me, but the Gayle King stuff is just "snark" and met in a "teasey" Tina Fey kind of way
    You? Snark?? Nevvv-ahhhhh!!!!!! And I defy anybody to say that you do!!!!! (And about the Hermes incident, I think that unless you have lived in her skin, you may not understand her perception.)


    In all seriousness, I do have the book (I am an avid reader). For some reason, I stopped reading it around where he was talking about going to the dentist; I have no idea why (of course, it could be because I freak out over dental things and couldn't stand the idea of no pain control; I require Valium and nitrous just to have a cleaning!). Now that I know that this has fictional parts, I may pick it up again with a different mindset.

    I'm willing to bet you that many, many, many writers are thinking that they are just glad that they have not been discovered/uncovered.....they are glad it was him instead of them. It also makes you wonder how many books you have read, thinking that they are true, were not. He says he shopped his book as a novel, but that the publisher decided to flip it around. Who knows what is true at this point?

    Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy View Post
    She's damned either way. If she wasnt hard on him, people would have criticized her for being soft and now people are saying she was too hard on him. What more do you want from her? She said she made a mistake and is embarassed. Isnt that what people have been asking from her? I think those who dont like her anyways are just using this minor IMO incident to throw her under the bus.
    I fully agree. Haters abound. I'm sure she's not losing any sleep over them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  8. #478
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    564
    My opinion has changed on James.

    The whole situation in general makes me angry. Mad at James, mad at Oprah, and the publisher.

    (This was actually an email to a friend, who thinks James is *very* "fragile") so I will let it stay as how I wrote it. I am being my "authentic self" (snark

    I have lost a great deal of respect for Oprah, because 8 days after the airing, people from the clinic came forward Yet, she promoted the book for months. When you have power you need to be responsible. The people at Harpro Productions needed to some fact checking. You can't just take someones word and run on it. She employes over, 1,000 people. Her call to Larry King was a HUGE mistake, because in essence, she did not value her audience, she said all that really "mattered" was that he was a drug user(okay, she apologized) but It was still narssastic, and she thought it would blow over, and it NEVER did. She said she was reading stacks of email that said how great the book was even after the smokinggun, did the report. What the stack of emails really said was Oprah you are digging yourself a hole. But like she said the truth matters, the whole story matters(Lilly was a HUGE part of it). If I wanted a fiction book, I would of bought fiction. Details, don't have to be exact in a memior, because everyone has there own take on things. And people like to spice things about a little. But what James did was wrong.

    We really don't know James. I read on another forum which is excellent and someone posted that they believe James is someone who had a drug problem, but more of a "frat boy" I don't know how "fragile" James really is. My therapist in Boston, doesn't like the word "fragile" This is a man who went on national tv and lied about a serious matter, that people take seriously. He ranked in millions. He is a scam artist. If James blows his head off at this point, he has only himself to blame. When you carry out lies, do book signings and shake people's hands about a story that was invented and lie about a character named "Lilly" who never really existed and if you watch the tape a second time, Jame just throws it out there, that she slit her wrist, you can tell its horses***. You can't be too "fragile".

    What would be comptelling TV is people from the clinic, who know the truth.

    I still do think Lilly belongs to a country club, has 2 kids, and shops at Nordstroms a lot(that being said, there is no Lilly)
    Last edited by fluff; 01-27-2006 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Remove link to unapproved site.

  9. #479
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,978
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    [In all seriousness, I do have the book (I am an avid reader). For some reason, I stopped reading it around where he was talking about going to the dentist; I have no idea why (of course, it could be because I freak out over dental things and couldn't stand the idea of no pain control
    Reading this jogged my memory--when he was on Oprah the first time, did he say something along the lines that he doesn't use novacaine when he goes to the dentist Oprah was freaking out, saying she's never heard of such a thing? I saw that segment, had no clue who the dude was, and kept on trucking. The only reason I stopped for that long was because Oprah struck me as such a compelte moron by her statements, like it was so hard to believe that people don't use novacaine. I haven't used it in years because it's terribly annoying.

    Back on topic--did anyone see today's show with the Brokeback Mountain cast? I wanted to see it, but I forgot to set the VCR.
    Last edited by PhoneGrrrl; 01-27-2006 at 04:40 PM.

  10. #480
    A Meat Loaf Aday... ClosetNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern NY
    Posts
    2,946
    I forgot too and now I am kicking kicking myself
    Anyone remember to get it?

    Phone grrrl.. I think I know exactly what you mean,
    when you say it's a shpadoinkle day
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.