+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 168 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Absolutely!

I wasn't home this afternoon, so I didn't get to see it. Luckily, it gets re-run every night on another network, so I can watch for myself. I'm glad she finally gave him Hell, but I still think she did it to cover her own butt after getting so many letters of complaint from viewers.
    Dayum, I missed it too. What time and channel does it re-air on, Critical?
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Oprah re-airs after Jimmy Kimmel Live where I live...You have got to see this show, it was so funny watching that Frey idiot squirm. I missed the first 10 minutes and you can be sure I'll be tuning in again tonight to see what I missed! I hope this guys "career" as a writer goes down the tubes...Of course, he won't be hurting, he's already raked in millions from his lies.

I say she did it because she is accountable to her viewers, and that is basically what she said
    After she kept backing him up. Phony phony phon-ay.

Maybe she oughta think more before she speaks?? Kind of like how blown out of proportion the "Hermes incident" was, and how quickly too. Since reputations DO rise and fall on Ms. Oprah's words, she ought to choose them more wisely.

i can't believe people here are feeling sorry for frey. he lied
    Doesn't mean he should be driven to suicide. That's a bit extreme, IMO. And Oprah's castigating him wihle sparing herself and presenting herself as a victim "I was duped" is a bit vomit inducing. Come on, Oprah. You've got a brain. Why did half the nation catch on before you did?

Oprah's pointing the firing squad to someone else, that's all she's doing. But I just don't want to hear it end in literal tragedy. Oprah's show goes on; this man's career may be over. And she was as culpable in it as he was, in my opinion. She knew, and she kept trying to spin it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I say she did it because she is accountable to her viewers, and that is basically what she said; she owes people explanations/apologies when she knows there has been a problem that has stemmed from one of her endorsements. She knows that a lot of things move in this country (world?) based on what she endorses. You cannot have as much power as she has and not be accountable. It's amazing at how much stock people put in her words. I admire that when she is wrong that she is willing to admit that she is wrong and move on.

She's been granted a station in life that not many people achieve (and she has worked damned hard for it.) If she suggested drinking poisoned Kool-Aid........we'd have lots of dead people around. Hate on her power all you want.........she is whom she is, and it is the people who have placed her where she is. If you want to hate on somebody, hate on the people who have put her where she is. Granted, she is not for everybody, but you have to admit that her following is amazing, even if you don't agree.

I find her whole thing fascinating, but I am not a "Kool-Aid drinking" follower. I do listen to what she recommends because I trust her tastes. With what little I have spent on her suggestions (over many years), I admit that I have never been disappointed. That is about the quality found in the products she suggests.
    Very well put...and I completely agree! BTW...I'm a avid Oprah fan.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

That wasn't oprah making herself the victim, her credibility is at stake and she has a show to run, among other things. I can't pity nor respect a liar because the latter has no integrity.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy View Post
    Dayum, I missed it too. What time and channel does it re-air on, Critical?
    Jewels, it airs on the WB affiliate at 11 pm where I live.

ETA: I agree that the suicide comments are a little harsh. I'd be pleased if his writing career tanked and he went back into obscurity and had to actually do honest work, like most people. The fact that he's gained all of this success from being a big, fat liar just ticks me off.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

In retrospect,( though im watching now) since i found out this about interview this afternoon, the guy looks/sounds as if he walked into the lions den, he looks beat up. I'm wondering if all of oprah's hair is fake or just parts, it looks full and very rich.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fanatic
    I really had to think about what happened yesterday and while it was amazing tv, I think it was a little bit of an overkill. She could of done what she did and been a little less harsh on him. I really don't think James is stable.

Oprah defended James, because she was only thinking about herself, her credibly was on the line. She thought people would just shut-up about it, when people didn't she caved him. Why didn't the people at Harpo do some fact checking. It wasn't hard for the smoking gun.

I don't like James or what he did, but I don't want the guy to harm himself either.

Amy Lee--Oprah defintley had some extensions in her hair, you could see where they were put in at the top of her head.

Don't fret everyone, James Frey isn't going to hurt himself, he has to live so he can spend all those millions.

Basically, after all is said and done, Oprah, comes out smelling like a rose, once again, and all will be well with the world.

What a wonderful and entertaining discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    ... but I am not a "Kool-Aid drinking" follower.
    Great line. No-one should accept everything said on tv as absolute truth or follow the crowd just because it's trendy. We all have a mind and we should learn how to use it as often as possible. Whether it is said by Oprah or anyone else in the entertainment industry, IMHO.

Brandy No-one DRIVES anyone else to suicide. It is a personal choice although not necessarily made in a balanced state of mind. However, should Mr. Frey decide to do himself in, I don't believe it would be anyone's fault but his own. If he's even alluding to that, he should check himself into a clinic. Lord knows, he has the money now.

I believe that Oprah did have to put Frey on the spot. Oprah and the viewers deserved that much. I do hope his 2 hrs of fame are done with though. The publisher still holds a lot of responsibility in this matter. They have to be relied upon that their investigations, negotiations, and legal departments are putting out responsible books; that there is no known deception involved. And I think that is key to this situation: there was no KNOWN deception by anyone other than Frey himself.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread