+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 168 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

FORT Fanatic
    I have to admit, James looked terrified during parts of the show. It was probably the most compelling tv I have ever seen. I have an awful feeling James may do something to himself.

If this was on payper view I would of paid $99.95, though.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I think we keep ourselves laughing, too. He always starts it, though.
    jman ----> <---- me. There was a guy I used to work with that did the same thing.......we'd just burst out laughing when I'd give him the evil eye when he started in on Oprah.

About the show today, I feel somewhat sorry for Frey. This is so heavy. Being called out like this......and he definitely deserved it.....hopefully isn't more than he can take. I'm just sorry he was so stupid, and his publisher somewhat set him up for this fiasco. When Oprah said that he had said that there was a gun backstage......that creeped me out. I just hope he will be all right.

I also wonder how his mother is handling all of this.

I can't even believe Frey showed up for the show. He had to know how difficult it was going to be. I see his mother was not there....

Really - she is just flip-flopping, now that the heat is too much. Apparently once again endangering the psychic (emotional - not Dionne Warwick) balance of a fragile personality. She may as well have said "James, you're really messed up."

You're very generous jman, but to me she's still phony as a forty two dollar bill.

FORT Fanatic
    Yeah, she still is phony. And she only did what she did to save her own a$$.

I think she ambushed James. But he deserved it. She went "LIVE" with this show. He probably thought it was going to be "fluff" But it wasn't she attacked.

James only has himself to blame for this mess though. He agreed to let her use his book, he went on national tv and lied, he duped millions of readers. He is nothing more than a pathlogical and compulsive liar, but from the look on his face, it looks like he is heading right to the bar. Prh, agree on some things and not on others, which is good. But her point is very VAILD, its hard to believe anything that James says now. Who really knows how bad his drug/drinking problem was. It could of been mild as far as we know. He may develop a severe one after today's show though.

I think the publisher Nan is a total idiot. She would say anything to try to get out of this mess. She had a root canal without novicane too(give it up lady)

She had a lot of nerve to bring up the Carter's and how there memiors weren't totally accurate. Jimmy Carter is a Nobel Peace prize winner. No memior is totally accurate. The difference is James lied about most if not all of his. He even repeatly said "characters" during the show

Lilly was probably at home watching.

In closing as a Jew myself, I believe her book club selection was "damage control" she can say she picked the book in advance, I don't believe her.
    Last edited by jman79; 01-26-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Elie Wiesel is a fine human being and author though. If anything good can come from the mess, it would be great if it went his direction at all.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman79 View Post

I think she ambushed James. But he deserved it. She went "LIVE" with this show. He probably thought it was going to be "fluff" But it wasn't she attacked.

James only has himself to blame for this mess though. He agreed to let her use his book, he went on national tv and lied, he duped millions of readers. He is nothing more than a pathlogical and compulsive liar, but from the look on his face, it looks like he is heading right to the bar. Prh, agree on some things and not on others, which is good. But her point is very VAILD, its hard to believe anything that James says now. Who really knows how bad his drug/drinking problem was. It could of been mild as far as we know. He may develop a severe one after today's show though.

I think the publisher Nan is a total idiot. She would say anything to try to get out of this mess. She had a root canal without novicane too(give it up lady)

She had a lot of nerve to bring up the Carter's and how there memiors weren't totally accurate. Jimmy Carter is a Nobel Peace prize winner. No memior is totally accurate. The difference is James lied about most if not all of his. He even repeatly said "characters" during the show

Lilly was probably at home watching.

In closing as a Jew myself, I believe her book club selection was "damage control" she can say she picked the book in advance, I don't believe her.
    Whew! jman!!! You're back!!!!! This is the you that I know and love!

I have to admit, James looked terrified during parts of the show. It was probably the most compelling tv I have ever seen. I have an awful feeling James may do something to himself.
    Wouldn't surprise me to hear it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Absolutely!

I wasn't home this afternoon, so I didn't get to see it. Luckily, it gets re-run every night on another network, so I can watch for myself. I'm glad she finally gave him Hell, but I still think she did it to cover her own butt after getting so many letters of complaint from viewers.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It would be awful if Oprah's public 'dousing' of this man ended in some form of tragedy

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I say she did it because she is accountable to her viewers, and that is basically what she said; she owes people explanations/apologies when she knows there has been a problem that has stemmed from one of her endorsements. She knows that a lot of things move in this country (world?) based on what she endorses. You cannot have as much power as she has and not be accountable. It's amazing at how much stock people put in her words. I admire that when she is wrong that she is willing to admit that she is wrong and move on.

She's been granted a station in life that not many people achieve (and she has worked damned hard for it.) If she suggested drinking poisoned Kool-Aid........we'd have lots of dead people around. Hate on her power all you want.........she is whom she is, and it is the people who have placed her where she is. If you want to hate on somebody, hate on the people who have put her where she is. Granted, she is not for everybody, but you have to admit that her following is amazing, even if you don't agree.

I find her whole thing fascinating, but I am not a "Kool-Aid drinking" follower. I do listen to what she recommends because I trust her tastes. With what little I have spent on her suggestions (over many years), I admit that I have never been disappointed. That is about the quality found in the products she suggests.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic
    i can't believe people here are feeling sorry for frey. he lied over and over again, and it seemed that both he and his publisher just didn't get it. seemed to me that neither were really ashamed and declare 'from now on...'. i would like to know if the sticker about being an oprah bookclub selection will be on the cover of the new books to be published [can she take back her book club selection?]. i was also surprised oprah didn't mention boycott doubleday since nan the publishing lady didn't seem to take ownership that they should have checked the book out more thoroughly.

+ Reply to Thread