+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 168 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    AJane , thank you. I feel like I've been battling the haters all by myself. And I'm through. I know/feel what I feel. You make me feel not so alone. I don't understand all of the hate. She is an amazing person, when you look at her life. I feel good enough about myself to be able to appreciate her. I can only wish the same for others.

I think its more of an opinion vs hate. I just express how I feel. A lot of people "dislike" Howard stern, I love him. The comment about bon-bon's was teasy. But a *lot* of of housewives do watch Oprah(its her demographic). I am not and I watch her.
    Last edited by jman79; 01-12-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    AJane , thank you. I feel like I've been battling the haters all by myself. And I'm through. I know/feel what I feel. You make me feel not so alone. I don't understand all of the hate. She is an amazing person, when you look at her life. I feel good enough about myself to be able to appreciate her. I can only wish the same for others.
    Aww come on prhoshay -you're not alone. Sorry if you feel like you are.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I enjoy Oprah. I don't love all her shows, and I don't embrace all of her views (I'm not going to comment any more on the Frey scandal until I read the book myself), but I respect her and appreciate her philanthropic efforts.
    The work she is doing in Africa from all accounts is amazing. To all the haters I would say if having to put up with someone you dislike (for personality reasons) gets you all those philanthropic endeavors I would say it is more than a fair trade off.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman79 View Post
    I think its more of an opinion vs hate. I just express how I feel. A lot of people "dislike" Howard stern, I love him. The comment about bon-bon's was teasy. But a *lot* of of housewives do watch Oprah(its her demographic). I am not and I watch her.
    j, my love, I'm so not aiming my comments strictly at you. And, yes, I do have great disdain for Howard Stern. I just really don't get him and people who like him.......WHY????.....but that's no big deal to me. If nobody brings him up, I'm good. I don't hate him; I just don't have any use for him, and I think he is a waste of space unless only for the twisted. Everybody needs Somebody; but then again.....maybe I haven't listened to enough of him to "get it". I listened to a little bit and knew that he wasn't working for me. I didn't see him as funny; I saw him as offensive to women. The woman in me just saw him as gross. I may be wrong, but only women who think that it is allright to refer to other women as bitches, whores, sluts, etc. can, maybe, appreciate him. But my thinking is that they have some self-hatred going on. The bon-bon comment didn't affect me at all...in fact, I never even heard it. Whatever.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic
    I use to love Oprah. When I was in middle school(26 now) we had to do a project on our favorite celebrity. I did Oprah. I even walked out with her theme music going, etc(btw...her theme music in the 80's was kinda good). I stuck with just the music and the speech on Oprah, nothing more Looking back Phil Donahue may have been a better choice.! I was poked fun at for that for awhile. Although, I will say in my middle school year book, I was voted next talk show host.

I changed my mind when I said Oprah has too much power. You can have tons of power, but sometimes she uses it poorly. For example, The whole Hermes ordeal got me mad, because she pulled the race card. She said it was her "crash" moment. She told all the entertainment shows that, but when she did her first show for the new season, it was that she was mistreated, nothing about being it a crash moment.(which is still a lie) Then she did a show on the movie "crash" and the "Hermes" ordeal was never brought up. Its fine to bring the race card up, but only when it should be used.

Now she is defending James Frey, which is some way is criminal in my mind. He is a pathological liar. If you go to the smoking gun, there is 8 pages on this guy. Documents don't lie, Oprah. He is probably doing more criminal activities. No one likes criminals. I don't think we are done with John yet, he is bad news

Btw.. Prh, you are paying for lunch.
    Last edited by jman79; 01-12-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    You and I can discuss this in PM. Hopefully, we will. I want to catch up the John Frey incident.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic
    my friend emailed this to me, she is realiable. This is why when people have too much power it can be harmful. Prh, I like you a lot, but as the artile states she has been too hasty.

That is the problem with this book, the man wrote it then toured all over the country and proclaimed the story was FACTUAL AND BASED IN THE TRUTH. I am a writer and have a responsiblity to write books that are factual and based in the truth if I am writing about my life. This is about honesty and the damage this book is and will do to publishing in the future. It certainly is about accountability and the responsiblity a writer of NON FICTION takes on when dealing with subjects that effect MILLIONS of people. I feel that is where the anger is coming from, regardless of if it help someone or not, the story is not factual and is based on a foundation of lies.

Mr. Frey has based the ENTIRE BOOK around incidents that DID NOT HAPPEN. He has inserted himself into tragedies that were not part of his life, he has invented persons that now are conviently dead. The maypole the book depends on to pull you into it have been exposed as lies. When you cut away the lies (not embellishments the LIES) you have a story of an entitled frat boy who had a drug problem went to rehab and got out.

THAT IS NOT A 3 MILLION BOOK BEST SELLER.

Mr. Frey wrote a NOVEL and when it was rejected 17 times, decided the story was his MEMIOR and went with it. That is why he tried to expunge his court records, because when it hit he was carried along on a wave of success and had to embrace and start living the lie. He has made alot of money based on a lie. He has sat through interviews for the past couple of years and CLAIMED everything was the truth. He has visited rehab centers and told the story over and over again as if it were HIS story and the truth. The 2nd piggy back book to the first most certainly is fabricated and did carry a disclaimer due in part I'm sure to the attention the 1st one was getting and the likelyhood it would be discovered that the story was a very vanilla one compared to the book.

I don't doubt that people are gripped by the tale, I doubt the fact that no one understands writers have a responsibility to tell the truth if writing NON FICTION. A novel would not have him blabbing about "his" life and offering his take on recovery. THAT IS THE POINT OF THE PERSONS THAT ARE ANGERED.

I think Oprah has made a hasty decision in this matter, and feel she may reconsider after she realizes the REAL implications of it.

There are much better books WRITTEN BY RECOVERING ADDICTS that are true and had Mr. Frey stuck to the truth and ONLY the truth it would be very different.

OF COURSE, THERE WOULD NOT BE A BOOK TO ARGUE ABOUT......

Of course Oprah is rushing to defend James Frey - her name is on the cover of his book! Maybe she is acting out of some sense of kindness toward him but it feels more like damage control to me. She's covering her own butt....sorry to sound cynical, but really, it's Oprah we're talking about here.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Of course Oprah is rushing to defend James Frey - her name is on the cover of his book! Maybe she is acting out of some sense of kindness toward him but it feels more like damage control to me. She's covering her own butt....sorry to sound cynical, but really, it's Oprah we're talking about here.

It really doesn't matter. I know she is trying to "damage control" but when you screw up, you screw up. She was scammed, and there is no way around it.

Harpo productions needs to take reasonability. They should of done more of a background check on him. It surprised me, because I didn't know he was on the today show in 2003, and critics, were skeptical of how credible he was at that time

With over 1,000 employees working for Oprah, you would think someone would do or know something.

Next time, maybe Oprah shouldn't stick a tag on her book club selection.

Sorry, but Oprah messed up big time here.

Quote Originally Posted by jman79 View Post
    It really doesn't matter. I know she is trying to "damage control" but when you screw up, you screw up. She was scammed, and there is no way around it.

Harpo productions needs to take reasonability. They should of done more of a background check on him. It surprised me, because I didn't know he was on the today show in 2003, and critics, were skeptical of how credible he was at that time

With over 1,000 employees working for Oprah, you would think someone would do or know something.

Next time, maybe Oprah shouldn't stick a tag on her book club selection.

Sorry, but Oprah messed up big time here.
    I agree with you on all points, but that's never going to happen (her taking responsibility and admitting that she messed up). I don't think Oprah would ever come out and admit that she or Harpo execs screwed up. Particularly in light of how she gushed over Frey when he was on her show. It's too much about the bottom line and the effect this might have on future book club selections.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread