+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 168 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Did anyone else catch today's show about hoarders? I missed the first 20-30 minutes of it when they gave an update on Carol, the woman who was living in that house full of dog poo. They sent Kim and Aggie from How Clean is Your House? to clean up her house when she was on the show about 6 months ago.... apparently, her house was a biohazard. I was just curious about how she's done since they cleaned her house. I tried going to Oprah's site, but it kept crashing my browser. Did anyone watch who can tell me what happened?
    I saw it, but fell asleep after about 5 minutes ( not a commentary on the show by the way... I'm just TIRED). Anyway, from what I remember she is still having hoarding issues and there were 2 rooms in hideous condition that the 2 cleaning ladies never even saw or touched and are in bad bad shape still. She is receiving therapy and he had uncovered an issue from her past that contributes? causes? her problem... but I forget what that is (I am TIRED )

I still have it on the hard disk of my dvd recorder so I will try to remember to keep you posted if I watch it again.

Whippin Wiskas Batman! 81 cats??? Sheesh I love my 2 to death and it is enough to clean up after them. Let's see if I can call oprah and explain to her my day:
    A- Cat (joey -the Black & white fella - 17 pounds) does a 4 foot landing on daddies tummy at 4:00am from the floor to the bed- "IT'S BREAKFAST TIME"
    B) I stumble out of bed, step in something now cold and mushy, ick - well Cat #2 (mona the tabbly - only 9 pounds, who does not like furball remedy) has ACK ACKED.
    C) I hop to bathroom to stick foot in foot washer (bowl attached to floor with lid & handle) flush goo away, clean foot and dry. (meanwhile joey is doing figure 8s and what have you because HE WANTS breakfast)
    D) go into kitchen get wellness salmon & trout can and plates, fork out to dish out food, joey jumps on breakfast bar and starts to eat IAMS hard food that is in bowl.
    E) put salmon and trout next to IAMs bowl, watch joey sniff it ands walk away, put plate of salmon & trout pate' on floor in living room so joey can eat and watch daddy wake up with coffee and computer.
    F)joey finishes, Mona waltzes out of bedroom, comes by daddy in computer chair, and stares at me.
    G) daddy needs to get up, add some pate to plate and "neaten" it up so she will eat.
    H) hear joey making mess with litter box, go to bathroom to clean it out so Mona can go potty.
    Thats just the morning folks-- evening to come
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Sounds like we're living parallel lives gabriel!....except the mess this morning was in the living room and I didn't step in it! For me, the big ordeal is not the food, but my little girl who seems to take joy in knocking things off the counter, dresser, etc. This morning, she also decided at 6 a.m. that she wanted to play fetch (yes, I have a cat that plays fetch) so she hopped up on the bed and dropped the ball on me....repeatedly. This was after both of the cats decided to play chase and take a direct path over me while I was sleeping. It's a good thing they're cute.

I can't imagine what it'd be like to have 81 of these guys. Oprah had her own vet come on the show and discuss the effects of "animal hoarding" on animals (or at least on cats). He said it would have been better to just leave the cats to be orphans than to bring them into an environment with all of those other cats. Cat's create kind of a hierarchical society, with A animals and lots of fighting. He also said that there is no way she would be able to give them the human interaction they need, so she is not allowing them to develop the individual personalities they would have if they were in a house with a normal amount of cats (he said that for a small house, she should have no more than 2 or 3). I can't imagine that it was even like having 81 pets, it seemed more like having a wild pack of cats living in your house.....actually it was more like living in the cats' house because they were everywhere!

Thanks for the little recap katkitty! I was on the phone and could see the footage, but it looked so bad that I thought maybe that was from before the clean up ladies came last time. I just remember one of them saying something to her like "You are a dirty dirty bird!" I'm glad she's getting some help because that house clearly wasn't just about being a messy person.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Sheesh I love my 2 to death and it is enough to clean up after them. Let's see if I can call oprah and explain to her my day
    Sounds frighteningly like my household with two cats, and also add one good-natured little poodle who loves my tiger cat to death and tries to hump her every chance he gets and throws up as much and often as my calico, along with the afore-mentioned tiger cat who has a chronic URI, meaning nasty nasal discharge. ARGHHH! I would go absolutely positively NUTS with any more pets in this household..... I run myself ragged just keeping the house clean from these three stooges....

I can't imagine that it was even like having 81 pets, it seemed more like having a wild pack of cats living in your house.....actually it was more like living in the cats' house because they were everywhere!
    I was amazed, though, that all of her cats looked healthy and well-fed and not antisocial like so many hoarders' pets. And, God bless her, she at least tried to keep up with the litter boxes and grooming and food. It's just that, well, my three take way too of much of my time, I cannot EVEN imagine 78 more of them underfoot. ( I find it very hard to believe it will be that easy on her to just give all of them up like she acted. I want to see a followup show on her....)

Thanks for the little recap katkitty! I was on the phone and could see the footage, but it looked so bad that I thought maybe that was from before the clean up ladies came last time. I just remember one of them saying something to her like "You are a dirty dirty bird!" I'm glad she's getting some help because that house clearly wasn't just about being a messy person.
    Well, I watched it again (while I was awake this time ) She had some traumatic events in her life (which I never made the connection why that made her a hoarder), but I guess therapists need to blame something.... And, the shame/guilt of that (????) caused her to have a perfectionistic tendency and because of that she could not keep up with it because now she does not know where to start. Enough of the psycho mumbo-jumbo.... she's a mess, her house is a mess and the guy was trying to teach her to make decisions about letting go of things. She washes dishes and won't put the clean dishes away because she doesn't want to dirty them again. She won't use a trash can that's been emptied and cleaned because she doesn't want to get it dirty.

It was actually pretty entertaining when she was going through her things in the garage and couldn't let go of an old dirty rag and an unmatched old sock and a 3-year-old pack of gum, but ONLY because I could see some of myself in it (not that I'm THAT bad mind you but hey you never know when that other sock might show up!) The funniest part of the show is when she said even if she didn't find the other sock, she could use it for something, like dusting furniture. Oprah said she was a long way from that!!!

Thanks for the bigger recap katkitty Wow - she paid a therapist to figure out that she was like that because of "traumatic events" in her life? Jeez - I would've told her that for free! I think I saw the part with her wanting to keep the sock. Good for Oprah to give it to her straight....as if, all of a sudden, this woman is going to start cleaning her house? It's like the time on How Clean is Your House? when Aggie was showing this young woman how to clean something and she's saying "Now all you need is to use just regular rubber gloves that you have for cleaning...." The girl says "I don't have rubber gloves" and Aggie replies "Yes dear, I know. I was just being nice."

All that talk about not wanting to get "clean" things "dirty" makes me think she was sexually abused/raped. Maybe I'm being too literal, but that's my pop psychologist opinion. She's obviously a very wounded person. I hope this therapist really helps her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

All that talk about not wanting to get "clean" things "dirty" makes me think she was sexually abused/raped. Maybe I'm being too literal, but that's my pop psychologist opinion. She's obviously a very wounded person. I hope this therapist really helps her.
    You are so right. One of the traumatic things ... she said she was raped by her husband on their wedding night.... he held her down while strangling her. Strange. Not many details other than that.

The other thing was she's missing an index finger. That happened when she was at a model house (I guess she's in real estate somehow) and a man came in either with a gun or knife (here goes my attention span again) and chased her out the door. Somehow her fingers got caught in the door as it slammed shut and as he threw her down, her finger stayed with the door). He then handcuffed her to the toilet. Never could figure out what the man's motive was, but that event would definitely qualify as traumatic.

BTW, Her therapist is provided by Oprah....so far, he's free. But of course he indicated she'll deal with this her whole life so I can't imagine it'll be a free ride forever.

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Did anyone catch the show (I think it was last week) where she had guest star Jerry O'connell on. It was a home makeover show, where they made over his apartment......WOW!! the finished product was beautiful!!

They also showed him and his new girlfriend Rebecca Romijn at the very end.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality tv fan
    Did anyone catch the show (I think it was last week) where she had guest star Jerry O'connell on. It was a home makeover show, where they made over his apartment......WOW!! the finished product was beautiful!!

They also showed him and his new girlfriend Rebecca Romijn at the very end.
    It was being discussed on the Bachelor forum.

I love what Nate did with his apartment. I need Nate to come to my house!!!

So, Tom Cruise was on the show today. I had to turn it off after 15 minutes. Cruise was acting like a freak. He was up, down, on the furniture, jumping around. It was very painful to watch and I just didn't understand what was wrong with him. My SIL was here with me and she too thought he was acting very strange. Maybe the rest of the show was better but I could not continue watching.

+ Reply to Thread