+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 168 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

I didn't see that, but sounds like Leo deserved better. He seems very genuine to me. The kind who does things quietly as a rule and doesn't invite 12 tv cameras to trumpet it.

As to the fluorescent bulbs - not everyone can use those. Some people are very sensitive to that type of lighting, believe it or not. People with lupus or any other photosensitive illness, should avoid those - they should especially not use it all the time at home. Why? It has more of the damaging rays that sets off their illness. They really should mention that any time they tout the energy or economic benefits.

Hybrid car? Well we rent, and there would be no way possible to plug one in. Otherwise I'm sure we'd opt for one next time we were in the market for a car.

I saw a car on that Morgan Spurlock tv series (30 days) that ran on veggie oil! Why don't they make more of those? Seemed to run just fine. They had to sift through used grease from the local diner to feed it but hey. People could theoretically buy huge drums of corn oil or something, right? It would help farmers, too.

But I hope no one's gonna judge anyone who doesn't buy fluorescent bulbs or hybrid cars, due to issues like those mentioned above.

But what you mention is the type of thing that caused me to stop watching her show, ClosetNerd. It is as if she is literally above it all now. She just comes across as self serving and self loving, to me; and self involved. I could be wrong as all get out, but, all that matters as to whether to watch her show or not, is how she comes across on said show. Somewhere along the line it just seems like she done lost her mind.

Ooh I didn't know about the lupus thing. Thanks for telling me I would never judge someone who didn't use them. I was more mad about the fact that she had a chance to do some real good, and It really felt as tho she was just going through the motions because she had to. Like when a pre teen begrudgingly has dinner with the family, but is less than friendly at the table.

Also, a few people in my town have Hybrids and not all of them plug in. I've actually never seen one that did, tho I know some of them do. However My town has 5 or 6 car dealerships and not one of them sell Hybrids. Course we all know Big O has connections..

I could be wrong, but I believe I learned that any car with a diesel engine has the potential to run on Fry Oil. Your car exhaust will just smell like fried foods *lol* I bed Drive through sales would go up I don;t know if you need to get some kind of part to do that, or if a Diesel engine is just ready to use.

Anyway back to Oprah, yeah I think her Guests deserved better. They seemed to be trying to get the message across about electricity use, and landfills etc.. and she was just butting in with stupid things like "But are the cars ugly" and skimming over the points instead of really driving the points home. yeah yeah yeah.. plastic never breaks down Ok on to commercials.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I just got a hybrid--it doesn't plug in. The electric motor charges up everytime you brake or something. Mine is an Accord, which looks like an ordinary car, very comfortable, has great pick up, good mileage, and (my favorite) has dual AC vents so I don't fight with my co-driver any more over the car temperature. To be fair the Prius I think gets much better mileage...but it didn't have the dual a-c thing...how shallow am I? They are now making hybrid SUVs, etc., which a bit defeats the purpose, but still, better mileage than an SUV w/o the electricity.
    We also rented a diesel car when we were in Europe---all the rental cars there practically are diesel. We had been driving for days in it and were worried the fuel gauge was broken because it had barely budged, and took it in to get gas (which was when we found out it took diesel). The fuel gauge was fine, it had hardly burned a drop of gas. Very impressive! Of course it was one of those "Smart" cars,,,the 4 door version tho so not teeny..but probably lighter than the average American car. But still impressive compared to regular gas.
    Too bad they didn't have a variety of cars (I'm guessing they didn't or Oprah might have seen one she liked--didn't see the show).

Quote Originally Posted by jman79
    Okay, I was wondering if any of you caught the show with James Frey. I read "A million little pieces" and thought it was a great book. James seems to be doing well, but there was something about him that made me have an "iffy" feeling about him. For some reason, I came away with a "trust" issue with him. I know this is just my opinion and I may be reading more into it. Was wondering what others thought.
    No, I didn't see the show, but I've read and loved A Million Little Pieces. I did see a short clip on Oprah.com, though, and was touched by how happy the book club pick made his mother. What was it about him that gave you that "iffy" feeling? I'm curious, since I've never seen or read any interviews with him and only think of him in light of his book.

PS: My Friend Leonard (yep, it's a reference to theLeonard of the first book) is out now. Has anybody read it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    As to the fluorescent bulbs - not everyone can use those. Some people are very sensitive to that type of lighting, believe it or not. People with lupus or any other photosensitive illness, should avoid those - they should especially not use it all the time at home. Why? It has more of the damaging rays that sets off their illness. They really should mention that any time they tout the energy or economic benefits.
    Thanks so much for stating that! I have lupus and never even thought of that!

God, could George Clooney's ego be any bigger? I don't know how HIS and Oprah's egos fit in the same room, must have been a miracle. George Clooney is so over~It's not 1995 anymore, go away.

About the 'save the environment' show...the couple that built the eco-friendly mansion were obviously millionaires, OF COURSE they could build a special home...I don't get the point of showing them ??

Some really good info on hybrid cars, thanks all! I will definitely give it some more thought then, when it's time to get a new car. Sounds like someone at the O show didn't do their homework either, if all she kept saying was "the cars are ugly" - if there are all types to choose from!

You're more than welcome about the info on the fluorescent light bulbs, babydollbrat! Lupus is hard enough as it is, right? I kinda have to watch it too... I am a bit photosensitive since taking Cipro (one year later!). I dunno if it will go away in time, or not, but I have to watch it for now. Well even as a kid fluorescent lighting always made me feel kind of ill. I think it's bad for people. I hope one day they come up with something sturdier than a (regular) light bulb but w/out all the harmful rays.

FireStorm I don't know what you mean about George Clooney? Have you read all he went through last year, with his health and other tragedies? He had a freak accident and it left him with brain damage and lots of pain. He always seemed like a nice person, to me.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    No, I didn't see the show, but I've read and loved A Million Little Pieces. I did see a short clip on Oprah.com, though, and was touched by how happy the book club pick made his mother. What was it about him that gave you that "iffy" feeling? I'm curious, since I've never seen or read any interviews with him and only think of him in light of his book.

PS: My Friend Leonard (yep, it's a reference to theLeonard of the first book) is out now. Has anybody read it yet?
    I really loved the book too, and thought it was one of the best books I have ever read. There was just something about him that didn't seem just right. Like I said I probably am reading more into it, but I emailed a friend and she felt the exact same way.

There was also a reference to a beer can in his apartment, Oprah asked him about it. He said he was sure it was a friends. I know in the book, he mentioned that he put himself around alcohol to find the temptation, but I just kind kind off odd that he would leave beer cans out from a friend that may have been over a day or to before.

I am probably too cyncial, but something just didn't seem right.

I'm not sure about the George Clooney comment either. Could you elaborate?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    Some really good info on hybrid cars, thanks all! I will definitely give it some more thought then, when it's time to get a new car. Sounds like someone at the O show didn't do their homework either, if all she kept saying was "the cars are ugly" - if there are all types to choose from!

Maybe Leo only wanted to push the ones that really really save gas, and so far those do tend to look somewhat different. But if people like Leo are driving them, and they are, you'd think they'd acquire a certain amount of "geek chic" by association.

+ Reply to Thread