+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 168 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by LemonDrop
    The only way to equality is to not show how different we are but how similiar we are.
    I don't agree. I think the only way to equality is to celebrate our differences and to recognize and accept our similarities.

I was very unhappy with her position regarding the Hermes incident, but unless I misunderstand her completely, I think that by and large Oprah tries to do exactly that.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

"Ivory" magazine would not be about blondes with blue eyes. I am quite sure there are several shades of "Ebony". *ahem*

You do not know what race I am. And I don't know what race you are. So here, we are judged by our words and not our color.

I believe (as many of my friends...again, you do not know my race) that true equality comes from not noticing someone is "black" or "white" or "hispanic" but that someone is named LemonDrop or Brandy.

By the way- last time I checked the "White category" I saw redheads, brunettes, those with black hair and brown eyes. And redheads with green eyes. Ohhhh, they broke the "white" code!!! Just kidding....

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    Well - to be fair, not all or even most of the models have blond/blue. Janice Dickinson and Gia were one of the first ones to change that. But I do hear your point, and I don't see anything wrong with Ebony or anything else like that.
    Umm, I was just making a point. Obviously I know every model isnt blonde and blue eyed. The fact of the matter is that white women, whatever their hair or eye color are still percieved to be the standard of beauty and all "others" are niches or exotic. Yeah, there are a few fair skinned blacks (eg Halle Berry) who are considered beautiful but they are exceptions not the rule.
    Last edited by DetGuy; 10-27-2005 at 07:27 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonDrop
    "Ivory" magazine would not be about blondes with blue eyes. I am quite sure there are several shades of "Ebony". *ahem*

You do not know what race I am. And I don't know what race you are. So here, we are judged by our words and not our color.

I believe (as many of my friends...again, you do not know my race) that true equality comes from not noticing someone is "black" or "white" or "hispanic" but that someone is named LemonDrop or Brandy.

By the way- last time I checked the "White category" I saw redheads, brunettes, those with black hair and brown eyes. And redheads with green eyes. Ohhhh, they broke the "white" code!!! Just kidding....
    If your argument rests on my usage of a rhetorical device to prove a point ("blonde and blue eyed"), then thats pretty weak. I dont know your race and i never implied that I do.

Color-blindness is noble and preferable. However, I would expect minorities to stop self-identifying as minorities the moment they are no longer SYSTEMATICALLY discriminated against based on their minority status. In the meantime, if they want to create institutions to uplift themselves, more power to them.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Just an historical point, that Ebony has been around for a long time...since long before Tyra Banks could ever have made a living as a mainstream model...so cut it some slack. And the fact that it still survives means it deals with issues/models that are still not covered in Vogue or 17. The minute it doesn't fulfill a need it is out of business. Not many women of any color buy a magazine they don't "need" out of guilt. The magazine has something not available elsewhere.
    Sorry for the digression from Oprah.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Anyway, i think it's great that she's rewarding those who help capture child molesters.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I'm confused - and now I can't stop that Michael Jackson/Paul McCartney song from going through my head

"Ebony and Ivorrrry.... live together in perfect harrrmonyyyy...." hee

FORT Fanatic
    Okay, I was wondering if any of you caught the show with James Frey. I read "A million little pieces" and thought it was a great book. James seems to be doing well, but there was something about him that made me have an "iffy" feeling about him. For some reason, I came away with a "trust" issue with him. I know this is just my opinion and I may be reading more into it. Was wondering what others thought.
    Last edited by jman79; 10-28-2005 at 11:12 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    I'm confused - and now I can't stop that Michael Jackson/Paul McCartney song from going through my head

"Ebony and Ivorrrry.... live together in perfect harrrmonyyyy...." hee
    Good one.

Yeah, back to Oprah.

Ok back to Oprah. Did anyone see the show about the environment with Leonardo Dicaprio(sp?) For some reason it just pissed me right off. (can I say that?) Oprah has gone from being a woman who came from a poor background, worked hard and made something of herself.. yet was still relatable. To being a self absorbed prissy snob! When they told her what a difference everyone changing just 5 household lightbulbs to compact fluorescent could make, her response was luke warm. And she even had the gall to question whether the light put off by the bulbs would be as good. Give me a break. It's light isn't it! If you use it at night, your room would be not dark. Unless you dabble in brain surgery at home and require a perfect view of neurons and vessels, I don't think you should be THAT concerned about light. And when they showed the Hybrid car, and Oprah's reaction was I wouldn't drive them because they're dorky looking,... but, well, that one isn't too dorky looking. WTF? Grow up Oprah. Tons of people would love to have a Hybrid car, but for whatever reason can't. Either they can't afford a new car, can't afford that car.. or need one now and can't wait to sit on the waiting list to finally get one. Whatever. Here she is, a woman of means with the potential to make a difference if only be speaking to her legions of cultish Oprah followers, and she says to them "Eh... I might think about one, but they're not cool looking" Now if these had been Nate's Run of the mill bath towels that are stupidly overpriced, she would have been jumping up and down screaming about how much she loved them. If the lightbulbs came with SJP's new perfume in the box, everyone in the audience would have been sent home with a case.

If you only feel luke warm about an issue, and you can't actually make yourself at least PRETEND to care: DON'T HAVE A SHOW ABOUT IT.

I am now going to check eBay, I am watching a case of C-F lightbulbs...
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread