+ Reply to Thread
Page 166 of 168 FirstFirst ... 66116156157158159160161162163164165166167168 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1676

Thread: Oprah

Re: Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Oprah has always been somewhat starstruck, so I thought it was fitting that these busy people came together to let her know that they thought this was a special occasion and that she was worth their effort to appear. No harm, no foul.

Yesterday, I watched the show in my very quiet home, by myself. I needed the quiet so that I could take it in without disturbance. Phone off the hook, cellphone turned off. Her words and thoughts were worthy of my full attention. I won't go to church because I don't allow people to preach to me, but I will listen to Oprah's insights and observations. I absorb what I need, and I leave what I don't need. It's like being in a class. I'm hoping that they will rerun the last show so that I can have it on my DVR. One of the things that is really with me this morning is the part about people wanting to know that you see them....that you hear them. I have to admit that I always get tickled when people repeat back to me little phrases that I've used (that make a lot of sense to me) that tell me that they were listening. I totally crack up, but it sure does feel good! I can't help but wonder where else these phrases are going!
    I wish I had a like button.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Thank you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I have this on my DVR with a big K on it. On DIRCTV that means you keep it until you delete it. I intend to watch this again and again.

phroshay, I agree and give you a too. Amazing woman and perfect finale.

Steadman's speech to Oprah: Did that really happen? It was just awful IMO.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by chenoa333 View Post
    Steadman's speech to Oprah: Did that really happen? It was just awful IMO.
    Yes it was terrible! He should have had help writing it. He is noriously awakward in front of a crowd and even in one and it showed. That was reflected in Oprah's face as well. She was tense watching him. His speech was not moving and it could have been profound.

It wasn't personal and it should have been because that is his connection to her! Honey I love you as all of us do?!! What?

I am watching him on Gayle King as I type and he is not doing well here either.

Steadman also sounded like he had been drinking. Who knows? Maybe he needed to slam down a couple of shots of that expensive Tequila that Oprah loves right before he went on stage.
    And what the heck was with the "honey" and "sweetheart" names he used instead of just calling her Oprah? It almost sounded like he was making a lame attempt at convincing the public that he really IS Oprah's "man". That they really do have an intimate relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by anders332 View Post
    that's how I feel - I watched none of the good-bye shows - too self-serving, you love me, you really love me kinda feel.
    It was really hard to get through, but I did watch the last show. I was just non-plussed. It seemed too much like an over-rehearsed monologue. Maybe Oprah was being completely heartfelt, but it came off as a bit patronizing and insincere, like a performance. I always contrast all final shows with Johnny Carson's and his still stands as the best finale ever, imo. He was natural and sincere and unrehearsed (or he seemed unrehearsed...).

I did used to watch Oprah regularly and liked her a lot, but I just lost interest over the last few years when she started coming off like a religious/self-help guru or something. She may have started out as an Everywoman, but now her sincerity comes across as self-importance. Maybe that's inevitable when you're worth that much money.

The part of the big shows on Monday and Tuesday that I found kind of ridiculous (okay, the most ridiculous) was the "backstage reports" from Nate and Gayle. Like it's the Grammys or something.

I'm not sure what's taking her time slot in all markets, but here it's Dr. Oz. I don't watch him every day, but I like him when I see him....even if I don't need in-depth discussions of bodily functions every day!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I haven't seen all these shows yet. I have recorded and will watch soon. I can't wait to see what you are talking about.

Yeah, it's over. Now if only the OWN network could disappear.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Yeah, it's over. Now if only the OWN network could disappear.
    I hope not.I just subscribed to it

+ Reply to Thread