+ Reply to Thread
Page 165 of 168 FirstFirst ... 65115155156157158159160161162163164165166167168 LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1676

Thread: Oprah

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Oprah

I can't believe the final show has aired. I'm going to miss her and thought her "final message" today was perfect.

The two United Center shows were amazing but, honestly, I could've done without all the "star" power. I guess I should've been impressed but I wasn't. My three favorite moments had absolutely nothing to do with star wattage - when the group of girls came out to thank Oprah for giving them a sense of "self" during the first show, I cried. When the Morehouse men came out to do the same and told some of their stories, I did the same. And when Dr. Angelou, whom I think is a true "star", came out and read her poem, I choked up again. Helping all of those people is quite the legacy and I'm just in awe of her for that.

Oh wait - when Michael Jordan came out, I clapped and cheered, so I guess I did fall for some of that star power. Not that I believe for a second that he & Oprah pal around together, though.

I can't wait to see what she's going to do next. She just doesn't strike me as the type who will sit around eating bon-bons or sitting on the couch with the remote in her hand as she retires...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I haven't been tuning into the last season hype, but I watched the last show today. Very low-key - basically, it was a solo spoken-word performance. I wanted to be cynical, but her overall message was thankfully stripped nearly clean of trendy buzzwords and definitely had some real value to it. Oprah certainly deserves kudos for her huge influence, which has been quite consistently positive throughout the years. Her impact on so many is a true phenomenon.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Here in NW Ohio, Oprah was preempted by the weather. The news meteorologists have been on straight since 4pm, which is when she starts. They are going to air it tomorrow at her usual time. I wasn't planning on watching today and I'm not going to bother watching tomorrow.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

It was classy. I think she did well not to break down. I will miss her show, I think, as I said before.I have seen every show.Even those that I didnt think would appeal to me, I recorded, and they gave me pause for thought. I wish her every success with the OWN. I think she has a wonderful team, and they are lucky to have her as boss!

Its not goodbye, it's until I see her again, hopefully that will be soon.

I haven't really ever watched an entire episode of Oprah, but I tuned in today just to see what it would be like. I thought it was a good way to end a 25 year run. I can only imagine it would have been incredibly difficult to pick a final set of guests and really Oprah was the only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    The two United Center shows were amazing but, honestly, I could've done without all the "star" power. I guess I should've been impressed but I wasn't. My three favorite moments had absolutely nothing to do with star wattage - when the group of girls came out to thank Oprah for giving them a sense of "self" during the first show, I cried. When the Morehouse men came out to do the same and told some of their stories, I did the same. And when Dr. Angelou, whom I think is a true "star", came out and read her poem, I choked up again. Helping all of those people is quite the legacy and I'm just in awe of her for that.
    I felt the same way. I tried to watch the episodes, but couldn't get through them. It was just too "Night of 1,000 Stars Kiss Oprah's Butt" for me. I don't hate her or anything, but I just don't get the big deal. It's not like she's retiring from the public eye or dying or something. It was just way too overblown for my taste. The stuff I enjoyed was the real people, like the Morehouse men - that was a real moment and it's those things that I respect Oprah for.

I was only able to watch a few minutes of today's show, but I'll try to catch it later tonight. What I saw was about what I expected.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

The finale show, on Wednesday, was uplifting and the most moving of all her epsiodes in 25 years. I am always amazed that she can stand there with nothing on the prompter and often not rehearsed and speak from her heart without stumbling over so much as one word.

The United Center shows did not move me other than insane respect for Sherry. I never have been into celebrity studded shows and this was over the top on that front, of course. Not faulting it, just not my cup of tea. But yesterday? Wow, oh wow.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    The finale show, on Wednesday, was uplifting and the most moving of all her epsiodes in 25 years. I am always amazed that she can stand there with nothing on the prompter and often not rehearsed and speak from her heart without stumbling over so much as one word.

The United Center shows did not move me other than insane respect for Sherry. I never have been into celebrity studded shows and this was over the top on that front, of course. Not faulting it, just not my cup of tea. But yesterday? Wow, oh wow.
    Well said, she came full circle didnt she? She started out with the audience and herself, and she ended that way.I enjoyed all three shows.I think ( jmho) she was damned if she didnt have the love in, people would complain it went out with a fizzle.If she had only the one show , the last show.I dont think some would *get* it..I will miss her like crazy.There will never be another talk show host like her,so I feel proud to have watched . We often put women down, but from humble beginnings, she did this , nobody else.I give her100% kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I felt the same way. I tried to watch the episodes, but couldn't get through them. It was just too "Night of 1,000 Stars Kiss Oprah's Butt" for me. I don't hate her or anything, but I just don't get the big deal. It's not like she's retiring from the public eye or dying or something. It was just way too overblown for my taste. The stuff I enjoyed was the real people, like the Morehouse men - that was a real moment and it's those things that I respect Oprah for.

I was only able to watch a few minutes of today's show, but I'll try to catch it later tonight. What I saw was about what I expected.
    that's how I feel - I watched none of the good-bye shows - too self-serving, you love me, you really love me kinda feel.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Oprah has always been somewhat starstruck, so I thought it was fitting that these busy people came together to let her know that they thought this was a special occasion and that she was worth their effort to appear. No harm, no foul.

Yesterday, I watched the show in my very quiet home, by myself. I needed the quiet so that I could take it in without disturbance. Phone off the hook, cellphone turned off. Her words and thoughts were worthy of my full attention. I won't go to church because I don't allow people to preach to me, but I will listen to Oprah's insights and observations. I absorb what I need, and I leave what I don't need. It's like being in a class. I'm hoping that they will rerun the last show so that I can have it on my DVR. One of the things that is really with me this morning is the part about people wanting to know that you see them....that you hear them. I have to admit that I always get tickled when people repeat back to me little phrases that I've used (that make a lot of sense to me) that tell me that they were listening. I totally crack up, but it sure does feel good! I can't help but wonder where else these phrases are going!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread